VOGONS

First post, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How many of you guys here have this card? I do not use Ebay but i have never seen one for sale here in NL.

I need it just to complete my Nvidia highend Agp collection and i was wondering how many have been made. I do have 2 of the Gainward Bliss 512mb 7800GS+ agp cards (one boxed) which are supposed to pretty rare (1500 made?) that come fairly close but i wonder if the 7950GT is even more rare in agp?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 1 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

which are supposed to pretty rare (1500 made?

I don't believe it's true. I saw few of them locally and on ebay, also own one too. Most likely it was a small batch around 10-20k cards.

i wonder if the 7950GT is even more rare in agp?

Those were produced in different flavors by multiple vendors. One exception would be Galaxy cards - GeForce 7900GS/7950GT with universal AGP, I didn't even knew those existed until I've bought one last year. Most likely were sold only in Asia and some eastern Europe countries (Russia mostly, due to international borders with China).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 13, by skv400

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want to buy it right now, I can tell you where to buy it.
Just because you do not know when to buy will require your quick response.

Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeaVPa3VMe9nUGDtFtVzvDQ

Reply 3 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think they'd be super rare, I remember browing newegg back in early 2007 and seeing XFX, BFG, and PNY AGP 7950GT cards, they just got over shadowed by the x1900 Pro AGP which was faster in alot of newer shader heavy games

Reply 4 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, i completely forgot but you are right: back then i also bought the x1950pro agp because it was as quick/quicker and much cheaper.

I had the version with accelero cooler but still the card had heat issues at the vrm's. I sold it fairly quickly and went with 7800GT after that (my first pci-e).

But yeah, many brands for the 7950GT agp but i just never see one for sale here. It must have been the level of competition from Ati because the normal 7800gs agp was easy to find.

Reply 5 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
I don't believe it's true. I saw few of them locally and on ebay, also own one too. Most likely it was a small batch around 10-2 […]
Show full quote

which are supposed to pretty rare (1500 made?

I don't believe it's true. I saw few of them locally and on ebay, also own one too. Most likely it was a small batch around 10-20k cards.

i wonder if the 7950GT is even more rare in agp?

Those were produced in different flavors by multiple vendors. One exception would be Galaxy cards - GeForce 7900GS/7950GT with universal AGP, I didn't even knew those existed until I've bought one last year. Most likely were sold only in Asia and some eastern Europe countries (Russia mostly, due to international borders with China).

Well, i placed an ad on the web that i was searching for a 7950GT agp and that it needed to be a working card. Someone from my own city responded! He had a card laying around for 8 years now and he didn't know if it was still working or not. I could test it and get my money back if it was defective so no problem.

I got it today and the card is working fine. I can now finally say that my Nvidia agp collection is complete! It happens to be a Galaxy card and it does indeed have the keying for universal agp. SWEET!

Reply 6 of 13, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh my God, you are really lucky, I wish to have one of these...

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 7 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have one I got for pretty cheap a couple years ago. They do pop up on eBay every once in a while but are generally pretty pricey.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have one of those, i do have a working 7800GS i got last year for $5 bucks at a garage sale however. I also got a $5 Ti 4600, and a $40 i5 3570k + board + 8gb DDR3 1600, was a good garage sale

Reply 11 of 13, by trixster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought an XFX 7950GT AGP the other month - it worked initially but ram artefacts appeared after about an hour of use and then it rapidly refused to work at all. I'm guessing some of the ram hosed itself. Luckily the seller gave a full refund.

Just this week I got a Leadtek Winfast PX-7950GT AGP and it's working beautifully. Interestingly the default gpu and mem clocks are 50mhz lower than the XFX, so maybe that's why it's survived all these years and the XFX quickly died.

Reply 13 of 13, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
greasemonkey90s wrote on 2021-04-27, 04:46:

Came up on axle branded one sealed in a $20 lot i bought flipped it for $425 on ebay. Do regret it sorta just for bragging rights. My gecube x1950xt agp destroys it.

Damn. Yeah, as much as I'd love to have one of these, especially new and undamaged - I couldn't justify keeping it if it's worth that much to someone else.
I bought a "sealed" 7800GS several years ago that I've questioned whether I should keep or sell, but the shrinkwrap has torn to the point that it's ambiguous whether it's really sealed so I don't think I could even list it that way. The end flap is mostly exposed but the shrinkwrap was still hanging on at the corner. I suppose I should go ahead and open it and find out for myself whether it's legit - but the right system for it hasn't come along yet so I keep wanting to save the experience.
Back when I bought it I was anxious to get a sealed example of a high end NVidia AGP card just so I'd know it was in good condition, but then the system I thought I'd put it in didn't work out as planned so it stayed in the box. Then I got an HD2600XT which made the 7800GS less important to me.
For various reasons, I now think the 6800GT/Ultra is more appealing than the 7800GS but I've already got the card now.
Since I'm very unlikely to get a 7900/7950, the 7800GS is almost certainly the fastest NVidia AGP card I'll ever own.

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-28, 21:20:

Honestly that sounds about right for an XFX product. I've personally have never had anything but trouble with parts from them.

I have an XFX fan on my Ti4200 128MB that works. Whenever I see it I have to remind myself that it's not an XFX card. A long time ago I stole the fan from an XFX Ti4200 64MB, which was dead. 😀
To it's credit though, that XFX Ti4200 has the weirdest failure I've ever seen on a video card, so it managed to be interesting at least.
If I keep the AGP driver in Windows from loading then the card will work fine (I think it's running as a PCI card at that point). But if AGP is functioning then the card is a goner. This is with a 440BX so it's not a dodgy driver issue.
Since it doesn't have a PCI edge connector, this "capability" is not particularly useful.