VOGONS

Pentium 1 - 60 MHZ - Graphics Card

Topic actions

Reply 141 of 159, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I guess all those 1998 budget PCs sold with G100As are also "fake news" then 😐 3dfx is underrated, everyone uses cirruses, pentium pro was overlooked, DEC never made home PCs, Amiga is the best, RAM was cheap, no one ever had 387s, etc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 143 of 159, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Then I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish.

I asked the exact same thing at least 5 times, not even an attempt at answering has been made.
Dude is either trolling, or backpedaling... or both.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 144 of 159, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You've literally defined trolling on the previous page by saying you don't want the discussion to go anywhere and that you just want to criticize what I say. There isn't a better way to put it really.

Reply 145 of 159, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vvbee wrote:

You've literally defined trolling on the previous page by saying you don't want the discussion to go anywhere and that you just want to criticize what I say. There isn't a better way to put it really.

And there you go trolling again, by pulling things out of context.
I said I don't 'need or want this pursuit to go anywhere', as in: it was never my conversation to begin with, I have no goal to achieve, I merely tried to answer someone else's question, which as far as I know has been done to their satisfaction, so the conversation has run its course: it does not need to go anywhere else (but you keep pulling me into it).
I don't just 'want' to criticize what you say either. I *am* being critical, because the argumentations you bring forth leave a lot to be desired, which I think it's my duty to point out. Present solid data and argumentation, and you won't hear a thing from me.

But here we are again...
And once again you have not stated what it is you want.

Reply 146 of 159, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really think you both are very opinionated people who won't back down from their arguments for long enough to rethink their points; one of you is less right but ultimately it stopped being important a long time ago. I would kindly ask that you agree to disagree and stop trying to disprove each other..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 147 of 159, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I would kindly ask that you agree to disagree and stop trying to disprove each other..

I'm not trying to disprove anyone. I respond to attacks and accusations made towards me.

Reply 148 of 159, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I would kindly ask that you agree to disagree and stop trying to disprove each other..

I'm not trying to disprove anyone. I respond to attacks and accusations made towards me.

Not responding and therefore rendering them pointless and moot could be an alternative but more effective course of action (or inaction? 🤣) in my humble opinion.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 149 of 159, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I really think you both are very opinionated people who won't back down from their arguments for long enough to rethink their points; one of you is less right but ultimately it stopped being important a long time ago. I would kindly ask that you agree to disagree and stop trying to disprove each other..

Yeh, I think the thing to take away from this, um, discussion is that if you're concerned about period correct, don't use the millennium with a p 60, unless you're making an office build.

Reply 150 of 159, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vvbee wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Yeh, I think the thing to take away from this, um, discussion is that if you're concerned about period correct, don't use the millennium with a p 60, unless you're making an office build.

This is not a definition of period correct I've ever heard of. Was it possible for this combination to exist together circa 1995? As the answer has been demonstrated to be 'yes', I submit that the combination is certainly period correct.

It's probably less what would be considered a gaming system. That's evident based on performance capabilities and DOS compatibility. That doesn't make it any more or less period correct.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 151 of 159, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As with the term retro, there's a shared scaffolding of understanding of what period correct refers to but there isn't a one set of criteria that solidifies the details. You can say it's whatever at all that existed then, you can say it's as was experienced by a subset of users, you can define it for some components while not for others, etc., but you can't say that debates on these terms don't end up being lists of the different criteria people subscribe to. You'll decide on yours and you look at what's known so you can operate within that domain.

Reply 152 of 159, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to just go ahead and build myself a P60 with a nice old Matrox Millennium and print the link to this thread to a decal to slap on the side of it :evil:

Holy cow, this poor thread. OP seems to have abandoned ship during the storm and I was hoping to see how it came along. People don't often want to build around the old P5 chips.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 153 of 159, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Build the most freakish combination of 1995 hardware you can find. That or the most boring, vanilla machine you can think of.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 154 of 159, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Easy to forget people actually started out from page 1 saying the millennium was non-period, and now it's like a 180 into period-normal. Much of that is just a byproduct of hating on some guy obviously, so I think the opinions on page 1 will be reverted to pretty quick generally speaking.

As a fan of matrox I don't mind to see them proliferate though. Build away and showcase it.

Reply 158 of 159, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

I still think you should stuff a PCIe GTX 1080 Ti but waev

But it wouldn't have been period correct now, would it?

🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000