VOGONS

First post, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro stuck on my TUSL2-C motherboard. When I coldboot the computer no signal is outputted on both the VGA and the DVI port. When I reset the machine, it works fine. A quick Google search tells me that this is a known bug of early 9700 Pro models that occurs with particular mainboards, it seems to me like especially i815 chipsets are causing this bug. Back in the day people solved this problem by simply RMAing the card, but that not an option for me obviously. Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with this?

Last edited by gordon-creAtive.com on 2018-04-17, 19:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I updated my TUSL2-C BIOS to version 1014.001, the problem persisted. Then I flashed the BIOS of the Radeon to this one, still the same problem. Is there even an solution to this?
By the way: When I start the computer, the speaker beeps "Video card not found or video card memory bad" according to the manual.

Reply 3 of 7, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the card being up to 16 years old. The capacitors might be dying or drying out.

What PSU are you using and whats the 5v/12v output ratings?

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 7, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the rating of the PSU:

IMG_1834.JPG
Filename
IMG_1834.JPG
File size
40.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I detached everything consuming power from the PSU and the mainboard except for the CPU and the 9700, but it still won't coldboot. I'll do more research to find out if the PSU is to blame. The caps on the card are not bulging, is there any way to check them like with a multimeter?

Update:
According to this german article the 9700 Pro draws ~150 Watt in the BIOS screen and probably even more on startup. So regardless to which rail the 9700 is connected, my PSU does not provide enough power I guess (or can it draw from both rails at the same time?). I'll connect one of my modern PSUs and see what happens.

Reply 5 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's full system consumption. But your PSU is weak in 12v rail department.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That PSU is a stretch for anything above a basic P3. Also, it's possibly not good for it's rated amps.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 7, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I replaced the PSU with a 450W bequiet! one, which did not solve the problem. In the meantime I managed to snag another 9700 Pro of eBay, this one works flawless. I'd like to replace the caps on the non-working one, but I'll have to get some proper tools first. Anyways, thanks for your suggestions.