VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I received this miserable Voodoo 3 3000 AGP as part of a bundle of PC Parts sold as untested scraps. Pretty much everything else I have bought from the same seller in the past has worked so I have no reason to assume this one wouldn’t. Well, if you discount the fact that it’s visibly damaged, that is.

Voodoo 3 3000 Damaged.jpg
Filename
Voodoo 3 3000 Damaged.jpg
File size
218.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now, there are two things I can see wrong with the card. First, the crystal to the left of the graphics chip is loose on one end. I believe a simple solder job should take care of this. I do not notice any other SMD components missing from the board, but if any eagle eyed members can point me towards further visible damage, I would be glad.

Second, it’s missing its heatsink. It does have mountin holes for the heatsink however. Unfortunately I do not yet have the part at hand so I can not measure the spacing between the holes. My first question then is, if anyone has a Voodoo 3 3000 at hand nearby, can you tell me the spacing between the mounting holes? If it is something standard, maybe I can mount a simple VGA or Chipset cooler like the ones below on here.

Silver-or-black-color-Aluminum-PC-North-Bridge-Chipset-Cooller-Cooling-Heatsink-59-60mm.jpg_200x200.jpg PC-Northbridge-Chipset-Aluminium-Cooler-Heatsink-40mm-Fan-For-3D-Printer-Cooling.jpg_200x200.jpg 1-Pieces-Aluminium-Heatsink-Cooler-Fan-40mm-x-20mm-For-PC-Computer-Northbridge-Chipset-Cooling.jpg_200x200.jpg

VGA-PC-Computer-Video-Card-Cooler-Cooling-Fan-Heatsinks-4-VGA-Card-Installation-Holes-2-Pin.jpg_200x200.jpg Blade-Type-half-height-graphics-card-radiator-four-hole-4-3CM-pitch-row-4-wire-PWM.jpg_200x200.jpg

Otherwise, I will have to make do with one of two choices; one is a simple hefty heatsink like the one below. However, I can not be sure that the flat bottom will cause issues due to other SMDs on the board, and would be glad if anyone can confirm this. If anyone could tell me the H/W/L of the stock aluminum cooler on the card that would also be great as I am considering trying to find a replacement that resembles the original cooler in size and weight.

182x100x45mm-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-Radiator-Heatsink-For-IC-Electronic-Chipset-Heat-Dissipation-High-Power-LED-Amplifier.jpg_200x200.jpg

Failing this, I will have to revert to chipset coolers, but stick one on with adhesive tape. For that I am again considering these 40mm chipset coolers.

1PCS-Aluminium-Heatsink-Fin-Cooler-40mm-Fan-For-PC-Northbridge-Chipset-3D-Printer-Cooling.jpg_200x200.jpg 10-pcs-Gdstime-Northbridge-Cooling-Fan-Southbridge-Chipset-Heatsink-with-40mm-Fan-12V-3-Pin-4010.jpg_200x200.jpg

So if you could answer some of the questions I had about physical dimensions of the card, or point me towards what you think is the best choice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 47, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
v3000.jpg
Filename
v3000.jpg
File size
113.68 KiB
Views
File license

There are 4 holes in the heat sink on mine, in a square or close to it.
Each edge of the square appears to be about 40 mm.
The heat sink is held on by two screws diagonal from each other.
The diagonal holes appear to be about 56 mm apart (about 2 3/16" inches apart).

I'm measuring with a metal ruler.

I don't think the heat sink at aliexpress that you included a picture for is the same one unless the measurements they're showing are wrong. They show 182mm long x 100mm wide x 45mm tall.
The heat sink on my card is certainly not 45 mm tall.
It is about 76mm long x 47mm wide and maybe 12mm tall.

Reply 3 of 47, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have my sword on this, but first things first. You have to solder crystal back in place and wash whole card in water, dry and test it, before planning its future, who knows, maybe GPU has solder cracks and card is in this condition for a reason.

Reply 5 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

nah alot of times a recycler will rip things like the heatsink off for metal scrap

This is my theory as well, the crystal damage is likely the result of the heatsink being removed carelessly.

Reply 6 of 47, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

nah alot of times a recycler will rip things like the heatsink off for metal scrap

This is my theory as well, the crystal damage is likely the result of the heatsink being removed carelessly.

All of the Voodoo 3s that I have (4), have heatsinks glued on top of the GPU, as far as I remember. In my cards, there were no pins (like the ones seen on skitter's picture) that secures the heatsink in place. One of them actually came seperated from its's heatsink during shipment. So I would say it is possible that glued heatsink become seperated in some cases, without deliberate effort.

I also looked for fan type solutions from ebay in the past, and will try to check tonight what I have and post pictures and dimensions.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
skitters wrote:
There are 4 holes in the heat sink on mine, in a square or close to it. Each edge of the square appears to be about 40 mm. The […]
Show full quote

There are 4 holes in the heat sink on mine, in a square or close to it.
Each edge of the square appears to be about 40 mm.
The heat sink is held on by two screws diagonal from each other.
The diagonal holes appear to be about 56 mm apart (about 2 3/16" inches apart).

I'm measuring with a metal ruler.

I don't think the heat sink at aliexpress that you included a picture for is the same one unless the measurements they're showing are wrong. They show 182mm long x 100mm wide x 45mm tall.
The heat sink on my card is certainly not 45 mm tall.
It is about 76mm long x 47mm wide and maybe 12mm tall.

Thank you, this is most helpful. Another friend of mine confirmed that the hole spacing on the board is around 57mm so that checks out. Unfortunately the closest modern VGA coolers are 55mm, so that makes using most modern cooling solutions impossible.

The only one that I am now confident will be enough is this:

HTB1L_73LXXXXXceXVXXq6xXFXXXd.jpg

The pin spacing is adjustable between 50-62mms so it looks like it would be perfect:

HTB1DmxtLpXXXXczXXXXq6xXFXXXJ.jpg

Aside from possibly blocking a one or two PCI slots.

HTB1lx8oLpXXXXbIXpXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg

Alternatively there is this chipset cooler that has semi-adjustable spacing, which covers 50mm to 80mm spreads.

HTB1gKfuIVXXXXXCapXXq6xXFXXX3.jpg

There is shorter version without pin legs that I could apply with thermal adhesive tape, though I don't know if these would be adequate for cooling a Voodoo 3?

HTB18ZdcOVXXXXXSaFXXq6xXFXXX0.jpg

Another interesting option I came across is this Pentium M cooler which APPARENTLY has 58cm diagonal spacing.. Maybe I should be looking into Pentium M coolers for this job?

HTB1Id9AmtnJ8KJjSszdq6yxuFXaR.jpg

HTB1Kl4PmC_I8KJjy0Foq6yFnVXaw.jpg

Finally, there is this aluminum heatsink block I could buy.. The original heatsink is 75x45x10mm according to a friend's measurements, so if I were to saw 25mm off from one end, then drill the peg holesi I suppose I could, theoretically, fix this onto the card, though with what, I do not know. There is also the question of whether any components on the board are taller than the CPu and would mess this up..

HTB1L5MpifBNTKJjSszcq6zO2VXa8.jpg

tayyare wrote:

All of the Voodoo 3s that I have (4), have heatsinks glued on top of the GPU, as far as I remember. In my cards, there were no pins (like the ones seen on skitter's picture) that secures the heatsink in place. One of them actually came seperated from its's heatsink during shipment. So I would say it is possible that glued heatsink become seperated in some cases, without deliberate effort.

I also looked for fan type solutions from ebay in the past, and will try to check tonight what I have and post pictures and dimensions.

I would greatly appreciate if you could check that. I have found your previous thread on the subject but no link to the final solution you decided on 😀

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-04-19, 23:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 47, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2 of my v3 3000 agp cards have the heatsink with the pins, voodoo3 2000 cards do not have them and are glued on. The heatsink needs a certain shape because of the crystal and a small chip will be in the way.

I think you can cool the card with a simple chipset heatsink (like the v3 2000 has) but add a fan to compensate for the higher clockspeed of the v3 3000. Lots of people overclocked their 2000 cards to 3000 speeds (and beyond) without issues and stil passive so adding a fan should be more than enough.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9 of 47, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I just find the pieces and took some pics.

As you can see here, my broken card has a heatsink with no holes, it was directly glued on the GPU before coming apart. But I also found that one of my V3s is a non glue, pinned type.

DSC_2352.JPG
Filename
DSC_2352.JPG
File size
601.42 KiB
Views
File license

The distance between the centers of the holes (on card) is 57mm exact. I remember looking for a looong time in ebay to find a fan that fits that spec but never found one. So I bought a 55mm (clear/aluminum circle) and a 60mm (black/copper square) fan.

The 60mm fan fits, but in a quite uncomfortable manner. The 55 mm one fits more comfortably. Not exact, but acceptable.

DSC_2353.JPG
Filename
DSC_2353.JPG
File size
579.15 KiB
Views
File license

It's a cheap heatsink fan/combo from ebay, rather on the flimsy side, but feels like ok. Especially if you consider all of the still working second hand V3s, despite the fact that they all were being cooled by just a aliminum heatsink. I also remember buying a converter cable to connect the fan to one of the mobo fan outs, but I neither can find the link, nor the actual cable (probably used in another rig for a completely different purpose 😊 )

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 10 of 47, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Finally, there is this aluminum heatsink block I could buy.. The original heatsink is 75x45x10mm according to a friend's measurements, so if I were to saw 25mm off from one end, then drill the peg holesi I suppose I could, theoretically, fix this onto the card, though with what, I do not know. There is also the question of whether any components on the board are taller than the CPu and would mess this up..

First of all, yes, there are items taller than the GPU (the broken crystal for example) and the original heatsink is designed accordingly:

DSC_2356.JPG
Filename
DSC_2356.JPG
File size
176.18 KiB
Views
File license

It requres more than just drilling and sawing, as you can see, but if you insist, you can "fix it onto the card" with these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16x-Graphics-VGA-CPU … 7EAAOSwAL9Ujvu9

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 11 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for all the info, ended up ordering this:

HTB1unVELFXXXXchXpXXq6xXFXXXi.jpg

The fan on the heatsink is rather thick and could potentially block a second PCI slot I guess, so I will replace it with a much slimmer 40mm fan I have lying about. This ought to do the trick just fine, I think..

Reply 12 of 47, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would simply drill 2 holes in the original heatsink, sacrifice 2 pins from another graphics card (or heatsink), put some cooling paste on and call it a day.... perhaps put a fan on it or use a big case fan for some good airflow.

And if you want to use a 55mm fan (or whatever size) can't you simply use a drill and make the holes a tiny bit longer? Looks like a small task?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 13 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

I would simply drill 2 holes in the original heatsink, sacrifice 2 pins from another graphics card (or heatsink), put some cooling paste on and call it a day.... perhaps put a fan on it or use a big case fan for some good airflow.

And if you want to use a 55mm fan (or whatever size) can't you simply use a drill and make the holes a tiny bit longer? Looks like a small task?

If I were in possession of the original heatsink of course I would do exactly that but I am not..

Reply 14 of 47, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well id look for a low profile 1u cpu cooler that's wide enough to drill some new holes into, then secure it with 4 bolts, spring loaded with nuts and felt washers on the backside, should work quite well, and be way more reliable than any old pushpin

Reply 15 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok then, the card is now finally in my hands. After quite a bit of cleaning it looks like this:

Voodoo 3 (Damaged).JPG
Filename
Voodoo 3 (Damaged).JPG
File size
517.31 KiB
Views
File license

Aside from the obvious lack of cooler discussed above, the only material damages I can see are the missing SMD component (labeled R143JNB89, but googling this gives me nada, so if anyone can tell me what exactly I need to replace this with I would be grateful) and slight chipping to the corners of the graphics chip which should not matter at all..

Voodoo 3 (Damaged) Missing Component.JPG
Filename
Voodoo 3 (Damaged) Missing Component.JPG
File size
748.93 KiB
Views
File license

There is, however, this scratch on the back right above the AGP connectors. Visually it looks like it doesn't completely cut any traces, but expert opinion is welcome 😎 I almost had a heart attack when I saw all capacitor pads on the back were unpopulated but my other two cards also have nothing on the back so all is well on that front.

Voodoo 3 (Damaged) Scratch.JPG
Filename
Voodoo 3 (Damaged) Scratch.JPG
File size
603.7 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 16 of 47, by danijelm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You have little bit more than Voodoo3 3000 Look at ram chips 😀

Attachments

I speak sarcasm as a 2nd language

Reply 17 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you saying it is a Voodoo 3 3500? Because a lot of Voodoo 3 3000 cards came with 5.5ns memory regardless.