VOGONS

Ram chips for S3 virge\trio

Topic actions

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I have some s3 cards with empty memory sockets, I tried to look for the chips on ebay but they are quite expensive, like €15 for a single chip, so I tried to look on aliexpress, and I found a stock of 10 pieces of chips for just €14, but i'm not sure if they can be compatible, here is the link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-lot-K6R … 2726268414.html
if they aren't good for the purpose, the only place where they can be find is it ebay?

Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 20, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I can remember, you need to look for SOJ40 type package, like these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-lot-M11 … iceBeautifyAB=0

The ones in your link looks wrong.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

100mhz 512kb chips, so should work with any S3 card. Usually those were installed on Voodoo 2 cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 20, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you both, I just ordered them 😀

Another quick question, since I have different virge cards, is there a program to see the speed of core and memory and eventually overclock them? I can use ms-dos or win98.

I found my self, maybe it can be useful for future reference: to overclock memory and core can be used powerstrip, core and memory frequency are tied and I used mclk to read the memory frequency in dos.

Also: i found those memory chips it is weird because the lower ones doesn't seem to be soj40, is it possible to understand what is the frequency of those chips? I tried with google but without results.

EKepHET.jpg

Reply 5 of 20, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to put 2 of those chips in a Tseng ET4000/W32P, but when I did and started the pc the monitor said: out of range and the 2 added chips became so hot that I had issues to take them out, does it means that they need another kind of memory chips?

Reply 7 of 20, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So there is a right way and a wrong way?
That's interesting... how do I find the "right" way?
I'm still trying to understand from what card I took the sic chips... still can't figure out...

Reply 8 of 20, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SOJ-40 chips have one chamferred edge, an edge with an angle. The socket also has chamferred edge. These have to point in the same direction.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 20, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

The SOJ-40 chips have one chamferred edge, an edge with an angle. The socket also has chamferred edge. These have to point in the same direction.

Thank you I didn't know.

I received the parcel, the memory chips are working fine, I took the chance to do some dos benchmarks using the DOS Benchmark Pack from Phil, I have tested the 2d capable only pci cards that I have:
KMROiSI.png

Some notes, i'm impressed for the results of Tseng ET4000/W32P, it is one of the oldest but it gives very nice results, I don't know why PC Player 640 doesn't start on that card also according to nssi, it has a weird univbe version, while all the others have 1.2, it has 1.32?!
I'm quite disappointed from results of both sis cards while the avance logic card seems very good to me.
I used a k6-2 500 mhz with 128mb, dos 7.10, during the post I have chosen the the sixth voice, dos minimal start.

Reply 10 of 20, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a bunch os S3 trio64/+/V2 cards with 1MB, and the space for two more chips.

So CAn I BUY those chips from the link above (aliexpress site) with no worries, they will work just fine in my cards ??

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 13 of 20, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for reviving older thread. I wanted to order some memory for S3 Virge so I looked to aliexpress link from tayyare's post, but there is number 256 in partnumber and also in datasheet there is 256kb. So what is the capacity of those modules? 256kb or 512kb? I am not an expert and I just want to be sure... Thanks a lot!

Reply 14 of 20, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

512kB in normal 8-Bit Bytes, but often stated as 256K x 16-Bit, and sometimes 4M bit.

Info: "Memory chips with soj40 form factor exists in 256kx16 and 512kx16 variants."

Reply 16 of 20, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a S3 trio 64V2/DX
Has 6 ram slots.
The two sticks on it are T224162A-45J
Cannot find any of the same.
I really want to put this card to 4mb
Will these linked chips work? 25j seems like they are faster?

Attachments

Reply 17 of 20, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KitsuneFoxy wrote:
I've got a S3 trio 64V2/DX Has 6 ram slots. The two sticks on it are T224162A-45J Cannot find any of the same. I really want to […]
Show full quote

I've got a S3 trio 64V2/DX
Has 6 ram slots.
The two sticks on it are T224162A-45J
Cannot find any of the same.
I really want to put this card to 4mb
Will these linked chips work? 25j seems like they are faster?

T224162A = 256k x 16-Bit = 512kB in normal 8-Bit Bytes
Adding RAM that can handle faster timings is fine. It is a maximum rating, it can do the lower speeds as well.

Reply 18 of 20, by KitsuneFoxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:

T224162A = 256k x 16-Bit = 512kB in normal 8-Bit Bytes
Adding RAM that can handle faster timings is fine. It is a maximum rating, it can do the lower speeds as well.[/quote]

So those chips linked by tayyare would work in my card?