VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking for a card with a little more horsepower but will fit in a micro ATX case - don't think it can be longer than 9". This is for a E8400 Core2 Duo based WinXp system. Most of the cards I looked at are behemoths like GTX 285 and etc. Anyone have suggestions?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 3, by watson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would probably go for something like a Radeon HD 4670 (runs cool and quiet, no external power), HD 4850 (requires a 6-pin) or a 9800 GT (if you want Nvidia, although I'm not sure if they completely fixed the reliability issues of the 8800 series).

Reply 2 of 3, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nVidia 9800GT cards seem to be very bumpgate prone, at least it seems I've read a million stories of them dying and my nephew's 9800GT did the same. Personally I'd avoid them.
The final version of that card was the GTS250. I don't know if it's any more reliable or if it fits your size requirements.

The GT240 GDDR5 was the card nVidia designed for maximal performance within a 75W power/heat budget (no aux power connectors) and moderate card size. It also has video playback features that the GTS250 and above don't have. I think it was an interesting card for it's intended niche. But for your purposes, I doubt it's performance would satisfy.

This leaves going to ATI cards or later generations of nVidias which I don't know enough about to comment.

Reply 3 of 3, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My WinXP retro system has a 5770, that has a heaping honkload of retro power.

Alternatively, you could go with something like a GTX 750 Ti, as that has windows XP drivers, uses very little power and comes on very small cards. Not only that, but it will be new card, so much less use and abuse than older cards. On the bad side, your driver choice is more limited.