VOGONS

First post, by Der_Richter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.

So, i found a spare GT760 NVidia card around in the shop, so i thought why not put it in with some hacked up XP era components (Athlon 64 x2). My XP-expertise is not up to speed compared to the earlier stuff, but i was looking to do something balanced and nice for 2001-2004 gaming. And in theory this works fine, the machine installs and boots fine. It also has drivers for the GT760 compatible with XP from NVidia, so everything is fine so far. However, upon launching a game i realize that as soon as gameplay starts, the GT760 thinks it's underutilized and goes to pstate1 i.e. power saving. So my framerate gets cut from 160 to 31 frames per second, playing Vietcong for instance. This then remains.

Looking into it, i then realize that NVidia does not provide support for the "prefer maximum performance" cp option in XP drivers. Nor does the OS seem to support manual control of the pstates. Not Afterburner nor Precision can lock the clocks under XP, but they can on Win7.

Also tried Inspector, and while i can then set the driver flag for the option to enable, it does nothing in XP... Still downclocks as soon as i start playing and the framerate drops. Utilization is just 21% or so in my test game, so likely that is the reason for underclocking but then the whole render pipeline gets stalled anyway as the card runs at 2d speeds and framerate tanks.

Is there a way to work this out? DOES XP actually lack support for manual power options, and are incapable of handling modern cards with pstates? I don't remember as it was a long time ago since i ran something that modern in XP... If so, how can i fix it? Any suggestions?

Preserver, refurbisher, collector. In that order.

Reply 1 of 7, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In power options on the control panel, choose always on and should keep everything at their full speed. Also you can try an earlier driver

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 7, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a command line option to lock the card in a certain p-state if you know what number it is. Did you try that? Something like this (replace 0,8 with the correct pstate number):

nvidiainspector -forcepstate:0,8

Reply 3 of 7, by Der_Richter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm... The forcing of pstate looks like it goes through in command line, but then you can see when checking, that it is just like setting the flag in inspector gui... Nothing changes. And again, it works fine in Win7, when i try it.

As for power options it's set to "Always On" in the OS. This seems to work for avoiding bus downclocking, but does nothing for the NVidia card.

Reply 4 of 7, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Der_Richter wrote:

Hmm... The forcing of pstate looks like it goes through in command line, but then you can see when checking, that it is just like setting the flag in inspector gui... Nothing changes. And again, it works fine in Win7, when i try it.

As for power options it's set to "Always On" in the OS. This seems to work for avoiding bus downclocking, but does nothing for the NVidia card.

Use moded VBIOS for your card. Kepler cards have utility to modify it as you see fit. You should be able to disable both 2D and low 3D states (or make them A LOT higher than they are normally).
Also, if your GTX 760 goes to 2D state on 3D game with Athlon64 x2, something may be wrong.
Check temps, and if VRM is fine (temp wise) on your MB.
What CPU and MB model you have ?

157143230295.png

Reply 5 of 7, by Der_Richter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
Use moded VBIOS for your card. Kepler cards have utility to modify it as you see fit. You should be able to disable both 2D and […]
Show full quote
Der_Richter wrote:

Use moded VBIOS for your card. Kepler cards have utility to modify it as you see fit. You should be able to disable both 2D and low 3D states (or make them A LOT higher than they are normally).
Also, if your GTX 760 goes to 2D state on 3D game with Athlon64 x2, something may be wrong.
Check temps, and if VRM is fine (temp wise) on your MB.
What CPU and MB model you have ?

Temps are fine, 44 degrees C under load, CPU temps around 55C. No sensor alarms tripping on the motherboard sensors either. And it keeps in the highest state in any "demanding" 3d game, i.e. if i play something that pushes it to 60%+ utlization it goes to highest pstate and stays there, so that part is fine. But the less demanding stuff, it just always downclocks, and never wants to go to higher clock. This drops framerates considerably. So it's not that it can't get to full clocks, it's that i can't force it to always run at highest clocks, to avoid less demanding games to not trigger the 3d clocks.

This modding of the bios, i haven't done since the old GTX4xxx days. What tools can i use these days for custom bios on 7-series?

Reply 7 of 7, by Der_Richter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The tweaker says the BIOS is corrupted somehow. Giving up on this card in XP right now... Will instead sell it to someone for Win7 use, while i put in a 6800 instead.