VOGONS

First post, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Saw this in the back room at work. Boy is thing heavy! AND HUGE! Judging by the specs online it's 1600:1200, and 21". I was told I could have it, but I would like a second opinion here. I already have a monitor, a fairly recent Samsung SyncMaster B1740 I got for $15. The CRT has a larger screen, and a larger footprint. I'd like to keep both, but size restraints keep me from doing that. Should I sell the Samsung? Should I let the NEC sit? I haven't used a CRT as a computer monitor in years, so I have no idea what to look for or not. Hope you guys can help.

Here's a stock pic I found.
NEC_AS120BK_Accusync_120_21_CRT_270001.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

21 inches of 0.22mm CRT goodness? I'd take that in a heartbeat. But try it first, who knows if the tube is in good shape or worn out from heavy use. Just bring a laptop with some free pattern generator software like this one from NEC and have a good look at it.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 2 of 2, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As already stated - test it where it is and ONLY THEN pick it up... unless you're in it for the workout.

If the picture is much too bright or dark then only pick it up if you're capable of servicing/repairing it. Former issue may be less severe but latter can be demanding or irrepairable.