VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought 3 Matrox AGP video cards that have "Matrox 834-00 Rev A" and on the back sticker is "G2+/SDA/8BF/20" it looks very like this card except for the memory chips mine has four of them instead of two:

1920px-Matrox_Millennium_G200_SGRAM_REV_A_1998.jpg

What type of Ram can I use in this card and what would be the max amount? In the Matrox G200 wiki is this line:

The cards also had ports for special add-on boards, such as the Rainbow Runner, which could add various functionality. - What are these add on boards as in what do they do and is it worth while getting one?

Reply 2 of 24, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which is better, SGRAM or SDRAM?

I heard this upgrade is pointless for games, and only useful for bigger Windows desktop resolutions. Is that correct?

I remember trying to run 3DMark2001SE on a 8MB Millennium G200 and being unable due to lack of memory. Does the upgrade allow this to be done?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

Which is better, SGRAM or SDRAM?

I heard this upgrade is pointless for games, and only useful for bigger Windows desktop resolutions. Is that correct?

I remember trying to run 3DMark2001SE on a 8MB Millennium G200 and being unable due to lack of memory. Does the upgrade allow this to be done?

SGRAM is better but you can't mix and match.

Extra 8MB would probably make no difference for a card as weak as the G200, it's roughly about as fast as an i740.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 24, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

No, 3DMark2001SE requires 32MB of video memory.

Last edited by Rawit on 2018-08-08, 11:52. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube

Reply 6 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Ok I will find some SDRAM but dose it matter what speed it runs at or can all speeds work?

You don't want to go buying SDRAM, you want to buy special SDRAM modules made specifically for that connector. They are not very comon.

Reply 7 of 24, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

I bought 3 Matrox AGP video cards that have "Matrox 834-00 Rev A" and on the back sticker is "G2+/SDA/8BF/20" it looks very like this card except for the memory chips mine has four of them instead of two:

Sound like an OEM version with standard DRAM. I own one of these as well.

Reply 10 of 24, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Think this is the part you're looking for

http://codemicro.com/store/product/356185001/New

or anyone up for a group buy 🤣 🤣 🤣

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=372287660069

Reply 12 of 24, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it really worth chasing these upgrades? What difference do they make? Do any important games need them to run? If the advantage is just higher Windows resolutions/color depths then there's little point to them.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, I would completely skip getting the extra 8MBs. For the same money you can probably just get a Matrox G400/450.

Reply 14 of 24, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree Errius but on a good note when I saw these cards I thought they were like an AWE 64 so I grabbed them with high hopes but I guess this card is better than an S3 Trio 3d as ive read bad things for the 3D side of the S3 Trio 3D which I bought as well with the 3 Matrox cards.

Reply 15 of 24, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rawit wrote:
Errius wrote:

No, 3DMark2001SE requires 32MB of video memory.

3DMark01SE runs on 16MB Voodoo3 and TNT cards. Still, I can't guarantee that it will run on an upgraded G200, since the GPU itself might not be supported.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 16 of 24, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:

3DMark01SE runs on 16MB Voodoo3 and TNT cards. Still, I can't guarantee that it will run on an upgraded G200, since the GPU itself might not be supported.

Just found out that VGA Museum has a YouTube video up showing the Matrox G200 running 3DMark2001SE. So the 32MB video memory requirement I read about is most likely not the case. But I can't see if they are running it stock or with added memory.

@Errius How much RAM do you have?

BTW, I have a Matrox/Compaq SGRAM (not SDRAM) module here, NIB, not using it. If you're interested, PM me.

YouTube

Reply 17 of 24, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ran the 3DMark2001SE test on a computer with 256 MB RAM. It was an AGP card if that makes a difference.

The SGRAM modules (G2+/SG/MOD8) appear to be more common than the SDRAM.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 18 of 24, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old webpages:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000621005044/ht … color_depth.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/19990427081808/ht … em_upg/home.htm

Here Millennium G200 is the SGRAM model and Millennium G200 SD the SDRAM model.

Is this too much voodoo?