VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's an EVGA and apparently all of these cards had explosive capacitors.

Trying to think of a reason to not just throw it in the trash? Uhhh.... maybe since they all blow up and get trashed it could be rare someday, I suppose. I don't imagine there's anything these cards do particularly well while functioning that another card couldn't do better, though.

Reply 3 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably not much use or value. Too new to easily use in Windows 9x, too slow to be a good choice for anything newer. High end cards from that generation and later are extremely common, so low end models serve little purpose anymore.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Useful for recapping practice, but probably not to use, except maybe if you just need a basic low power card for a server or something.
If you feel like it, you could salvage the MOSFETs off of it in case you ever find a need for them on another card or motherboard.

Reply 5 of 12, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

these are useful for PCs running with LGA 775 era Intel Graphics, they are faster and much more compatible, outside of that, well it will be really fast for games from 2002 and lower I think, so it's not useless, but there are much nicer cards.

Reply 6 of 12, by AtTheGates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
infiniteclouds wrote:

It's an EVGA and apparently all of these cards had explosive capacitors.

Trying to think of a reason to not just throw it in the trash? Uhhh.... maybe since they all blow up and get trashed it could be rare someday, I suppose. I don't imagine there's anything these cards do particularly well while functioning that another card couldn't do better, though.

I'd say yes. They're not bad little cards.

Reply 7 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

depends is it 128bit or 64bit DDR2? I ask because the 128bit DDR2 card preforms like a 6600 DDR2 aka between 6600 and 6600GT, while the 64bit model runs more like a 6200 and is total junk.

The good ones that are worth saving though would be the 7300GT DDR3 cards, those where uncommon and only made made by i think 3 manufactures, and they are fast, they sit between a 7600GS and 7600GT in preformance and overclock to speeds where they whoop a stock 7600GT. But the only reason they are special is they where rare when new and still are, not like 5800 Ultra rare, more like working FX5950 Ultra rare.

Reply 8 of 12, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

depends is it 128bit or 64bit DDR2? I ask because the 128bit DDR2 card preforms like a 6600 DDR2 aka between 6600 and 6600GT, while the 64bit model runs more like a 6200 and is total junk.

The good ones that are worth saving though would be the 7300GT DDR3 cards, those where uncommon and only made made by i think 3 manufactures, and they are fast, they sit between a 7600GS and 7600GT in preformance and overclock to speeds where they whoop a stock 7600GT. But the only reason they are special is they where rare when new and still are, not like 5800 Ultra rare, more like working FX5950 Ultra rare.

I don't know -- PCB says N7600-PB Rev 2.2, back says 256MB DDR. 256-P2-N443-LX

Reply 9 of 12, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think most 7300GTs were 128bit DDR2

I unfortunately had a xfx 64bits at one point, and it was indeed much slower, but still fast for very old games, it was way faster than the nforce 6100 IGP at least.

another thing regarding GDDR3 models, I remember some only having 128MB, which was a clear problem for newer titles at the time, the standard at the time was already 256MB for this sort of card.