VOGONS

First post, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a problem with one of my DELL 2001FP.
It won't turn off. If I press the button the screen goes dark, but power LED stays green and I can see that the screen blinks slightly every few seconds as if it wanted to turn itself on.

But suspend mode works fine - if a PC is plugged in and turned off the power LED goes amber and the monitor stays off (suspended). Same happens when I disable the monitor in WinXP resolution settings (two DELL 2001FPs are connected to this PC).

It doesn't matter if anything is connected to this monitor, or if I use the other power adapter. I just can't turn it off. The other monitor works fine.

Reply 1 of 2, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It may sound crazy, but the problem with powering the monitor down went away precisely at the moment when I wanted to show it to someone:
"Look, this monitor is broken, it can't be turned off... um... well... let's wait a little, it should turn itself on again... hmm, okay..."

There is, however, another problem with this monitor: analog signal (D-sub) looks very dark, about half the brightness it should have.
I can compensate for this with monitor brightness/contrast settings and some crazy gamma (using QuickGamma) but the picture looks ugly then.
DVI connection works OK though.