VOGONS

First post, by JosteinTopland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've got a sweet old Gateway 2000 486/DX2 66MHz with a onboard Cirrus graphics card. I'm getting around 20 fps in Doom. Will upgrading the graphics card to, let's say, ATI Rage II actually improve fps? Since Doom is an all cpu-based game, would that game benefit anything with a faster graphics card?

Regards,
Jostein

Reply 1 of 4, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cirrus is probably using VLB or PCI bus - what expansions slots are on the motherboard? There could be some improvement with a faster VGA card, but not by much. 5-10% maybe. You should upgrade the CPU to get more FPS.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 4, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stick with it.

If you inserted a faster card(Matrox or Tseng for example) your benchmark result would be slightly higher(less rtics) but the game in itself would, most likely, not be more playable as the cpu is the slowdown factor in heavier scenes.

BUT, if unsure give a lower end Trident and then a high profile card a run and compare.

Reply 4 of 4, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are those gateways capable of running a dx4? I find that to reach the 35fps cap on doom especially in big battles takes upwards of a dx4@120mhz paired with a vlb video card with respectable memory speed.

Everybody thinks of the 486 66 when doom is mentioned but in reality at the time we were drooling over how well it ran on the mighty Pentium.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?