VOGONS

First post, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What the best cpu for Voodoo Banshee ?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 2 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had both cards installed in a Pentium II@333 (overclocked to 350). I guess that Pentium II and earlier Pentium III would be correct for that card, but maybe not the best CPUs.

Also I put my Voodoo 3 in my Athlon@1Ghz but by that time games (i.e.: GTA3) were increasingly incompatible with Voodoo cards so, although the CPU may be fine, I don't think it would be a good choice at that time.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 15, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Banshee dont scale well like the V3?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.

Reply 6 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think that this card needs a lot just to get by even though it always helps but you can always use the card in slower systems just fine if you don't mind the reduced performance. This era of hardware is only getting more expensive thanks to people on youtube and eBay profiteers jacking the prices so when the preferred options becomes too expensive it is ok to settle for something else.

P2 and early P3 are just fine in my opinion along with similar performing K6, good card for dos in a pinch having a great 2D core.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 15, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings, trying to ascertain whether or not a 16 megabyte Banshee Voodoo 2 would be a good fit for a Pentium one MMX 266, possibly over clock to 300 megahertz. I don't really want to put it in a Pentium II since my BX chipset motherboard can go all the way up to Tualatin. I realize this is a necrobump, but it seems this question of mine has already been talked about here, somewhat.

Thanks in advance ,
TW

Reply 11 of 15, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI guys!
Already using the banshee on my VIA C3 rig.
Good combo.

Reply 15 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2021-01-29, 18:44:

C3/K6+. You are in the era where a CPU that can be slowed down is desirable, as the Banshee is also an excellent 2D card for DOS games.

Don't forget 3DFX having the best 3d now support in their drivers