VOGONS

First post, by gelin1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.
I am looking to build a Windows 95 computer that is compatible with both Windows and late DOS games.
For some reason my S3 Stealth is not working well in Windows, I have tried a lot of drivers and they just don't want to work.
Here are the parts I have:
CPU: Intel Pentium MMX 233
MB: Legend (Lenovo) VX586 with Intel chip set, and it has a QDI sticker on the back of the board, four PCI slot and three ISA 16 bit slot, no AGP slot
Memory: 128MB SD RAM, can be upgrade to 256MB
Video card: Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM T PCI (cannot seem to find any driver working for this video card in Windows 95)
Video accelerator: 3DFX Voodoo 4MB
Sound card: Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4550 (Also cannot find any driver works for it)
Hard drive: Seagate 9GB
Plus floppy and CD-ROM drive.
So what is the most compatible video card that works well in both Windows and DOS without driver issues?
Thank you!

Reply 2 of 20, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes to DOS compatibility you should always consult Gona's comprehensive matrix of video cards.

S3 Trio64 and Virge chipsets have excellent compatibility in both DOS and Windows but they lack speed in Windows (they usually are a bottleneck in a mid-1997 system such as yours) and memory for user-friendly resolutions and refresh modes (typical memory sizes just 2 or 4 MB).
If I had to choose a more or less period correct card I'd probably choose a TNT or a Riva 128ZX.

Reply 3 of 20, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:

When it comes to DOS compatibility you should always consult Gona's comprehensive matrix of video cards.

While I used to look to that chart constantly, it is worth noting that there are many games on the list that are really obscure that few people will actually be planning their retro builds around. For example, I've never seen anyone even mention playing "Mario: the shareware", and yet a lot of cards get hit with a big old red box on that chart because of it. Also, a huge swath of the chart consists of different resolutions for the same games, and that's all we really get for late DOS game compatibility. Strangely, one game that isn't on the list (Alien Logic) gave me graphical corruption in a particular build with multiple S3 Virge cards, and yet worked fine with a Matrox Millennium, where as the chart makes it look like Matrox cards are terrible for DOS gaming.

Anyways, its a nice source of information but one has to be careful not to put too much stock in looking for the cards with the fewest red boxes, because in the end if the games you want to play aren't on the chart it isn't going to help. Not trying to downplay the effort put into it, its just real easy to start looking at it like an overall DOS "compatibility benchmark", which it isn't.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 20, by gelin1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:

S3 Trio64 and Virge chipsets have excellent compatibility in both DOS and Windows but they lack speed in Windows (they usually are a bottleneck in a mid-1997 system such as yours) and memory for user-friendly resolutions and refresh modes (typical memory sizes just 2 or 4 MB).
If I had to choose a more or less period correct card I'd probably choose a TNT or a Riva 128ZX.

I have checked this chart, and that's why I chose the Trio 64, but for some reason I couldn't find a working driver for my card, so I want to know a specific model that works great in both Win95 and DOS.

Reply 6 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:
blurks wrote:

While I used to look to that chart constantly, it is worth noting that there are many games on the list that are really obscure that few people will actually be planning their retro builds around. For example, I've never seen anyone even mention playing "Mario: the shareware", and yet a lot of cards get hit with a big old red box on that chart because of it. Also, a huge swath of the chart consists of different resolutions for the same games, and that's all we really get for late DOS game compatibility. Strangely, one game that isn't on the list (Alien Logic) gave me graphical corruption in a particular build with multiple S3 Virge cards, and yet worked fine with a Matrox Millennium, where as the chart makes it look like Matrox cards are terrible for DOS gaming.

Anyways, its a nice source of information but one has to be careful not to put too much stock in looking for the cards with the fewest red boxes, because in the end if the games you want to play aren't on the chart it isn't going to help. Not trying to downplay the effort put into it, its just real easy to start looking at it like an overall DOS "compatibility benchmark", which it isn't.

Very true, and is similar to the sound blaster hanging note bug, where a lot of people will write off a card even though no intention using external midi at all.
you will never get 100% compatible system, its great that people have gone out and tested this stuff but determine for yourself if an issue is really going to affect how you use YOUR setup

Reply 7 of 20, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's really weird that you can't setup your S3 and AWE64 — both cards are close to optimal choices. I suppose you've checked the Vogonsdrivers?

For AWE64 — check TheMAN's collection and Creative's own website.

For S3 — there are many drivers here. Though to my knowledge S3 should work with Windows' built-in drivers just as well.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 11 of 20, by musicforlife

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote:

I can recommend a S3 Savage4. Matrox G200 series is less compatible, both both cards have helpfull DOS utilities available and do well in Windows.

In my Win95 machine there's Matrox G200. I haven't yet seen any problems with it. Is it supposedly incompatible with some dos games?

Reply 12 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gelin1993 wrote:

So I have been suggested a Tseng ET6000, I found one really cheap. I will try this one out first.

Lucky person! They are getting seriously rare & pricey...

For DOS they're very fast, but VESA compatibility isn't so hot. Windows 9x 2D is fine. If you don't like it, swap/sell it - there are lots of great options that are less sought-after than the ET6000, so you could easily trade for pretty much anything else mentioned here.

Reply 13 of 20, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
musicforlife wrote:

In my Win95 machine there's Matrox G200. I haven't yet seen any problems with it. Is it supposedly incompatible with some dos games?

According to https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ and my own limited experience it's not as compatible in DOS as an S3. Can confirm Jazz Jackrabbit not working and Lotus having slowdown when using an LCD. It's fast in Doom and Duke Nukem however and didn't see any tearing issues with it.

YouTube

Reply 14 of 20, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tseng cards aren't useful in pci.. S3 is great for dos and early windows, a 3dfx banshee or voodoo 3 is great for dos, windows and 3d from that era

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 15 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For PCI your best options for covering both DOS and early Win9x including 3D acceleration are:

3dfx Banshee PCI
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
nVidia Riva TNT (or TNT2M64) PCI
nVidia Riva TNT2 Pro PCI
S3 Savage3D PCI
S3 Savage4/LT/Pro PCI

Other options from Matrox, ATI, Tseng, etc. lack either proper DOS compatibility, Win9x acceleration or 3D performance to be worthwhile.

I'm also in the market for a Voodoo 3 PCI and Savage4 PCI, they are rather difficult to obtain at reasonable prices. The only source of Savage 4 PCIs I can find are Russian sellers on eBay asking for an arm and leg for shipping the card for no reason. So it's a bit of a shitty situation, good luck to you.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16 of 20, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

The only source of Savage 4 PCIs I can find are Russian sellers on eBay asking for an arm and leg for shipping the card for no reason. So it's a bit of a shitty situation, good luck to you.

It really helps searching for model names instead of Savage4. The I/O Data and the IBM / Number9 models are often advertised with model name only, no sign of S3 Savage in title or description.

YouTube

Reply 17 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
For PCI your best options for covering both DOS and early Win9x including 3D acceleration are: […]
Show full quote

For PCI your best options for covering both DOS and early Win9x including 3D acceleration are:

3dfx Banshee PCI
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
nVidia Riva TNT (or TNT2M64) PCI
nVidia Riva TNT2 Pro PCI
S3 Savage3D PCI
S3 Savage4/LT/Pro PCI

Other options from Matrox, ATI, Tseng, etc. lack either proper DOS compatibility, Win9x acceleration or 3D performance to be worthwhile.

Early Win9x? These cards are all second half of 1998 or later. That's hardly "early", and hardly Windows 95. Early 9x means 1996-ish, so Virge/DX, Cirrus Logic 54xx, Tseng ET6000, Matrox Mystique - that sort of thing. And 3D? That was the domain of standalone cards with very limited support.

I'm also in the market for a Voodoo 3 PCI and Savage4 PCI, they are rather difficult to obtain at reasonable prices. The only source of Savage 4 PCIs I can find are Russian sellers on eBay asking for an arm and leg for shipping the card for no reason. So it's a bit of a shitty situation, good luck to you.

No surprise there as you're looking for a fairly illogical card -a quintessentially AGP-era card shoehorned onto the PCI bus. That said, with a bit of patience you can find stuff. I got my hands on a V3-3000 PCI for EUR 45 locally a month or two ago.

Reply 18 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Umm.. Nearly all the cards I named are either 1998 or 1999 releases; they are early Win9x cards.. Maybe I should have said early Win98 😀

As for being illogical; they have uses in Socket7 and i810 systems..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Umm.. Nearly all the cards I named are either 1998 or 1999 releases; they are early Win9x cards.. Maybe I should have said early Win98 😀

OP specifically mentioned 95, not 98.