VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like lately I only ever post about my Voodoo 3s. Sorry. Just Googling never gets useful results.

Okay, so... the Voodoo 3 1000 I have does not have screwholes near the main chip, and its default heatsink seems to be held on with epoxy. I want to put a new heatsink on without having to drill screwholes in the card.

Question 1 - Can i mix Krazy Glue or Gorilla Glue with Thermal Grease/Compound?

Question 2 - Would that hold a new heatsink on, or would the card heating up loosen the Krazy Glue and cause the thing to fall off? (When the card is placed in the comp, the heatsink is facing downward and thus will only be held on by whatever glue is keeping it in place)

Question 3 - Okay, all the heatsinks I can find are for CPUs and thus too big for the main chip of the 3dfx card (they wind up touching other components which i'm sure can't be good). I can only see two solutions here: either A) find a heatsink (with fan preferably) that isn't too big, or B) get a copper block, glue THAT to the chip, then glue the heatsink to the copper block now that it has clearance.

The problem with B) is... where do I get copper blocks of that size? The only ones I ever find that aren't some antique collectable art thing are meant for rasperry pis (And thus are smaller than pennies). Will I end up literally having to get a ton of these and melt them together or somehow glue them together to make a block?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First of all, you cannot drill holes in the card even if you wanted to, it will kill the card as it is a multi-layer board and you will hit some traces no matter where you drill.

1 & 2. Nope, will not work long term. I have tried it before. It will also have very poor thermal conductivity. You need thermal epoxy.
Something like this:
https://vetco.net/products/thermal-conductive … xy-adhesive-6ml

Here is a 25x25mm copper shim:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DV6000-Copper-Shim-S … mm/150522310069

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EdmondDantes wrote:

Thanks.

Unrelated but wow, I have the joystick pictured in your avatar... never got it to work. Might be a subject for a separate topic tho.

Heh, that is funny. I actually don't have a copy of that joystick. I just used it as my avatar because that is where I got my nick from. I had one years ago. It was never a joystick I used that much. I've been kinda-sorta thinking about getting another one just to have.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not completely interested in keeping mine (I use a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro and it works just dandy for any games I can't play with a keyboard and mouse) so if you want it, you know who to ask.