VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was in the market for a PCI card with TV-Out, and I came across an ELSA Synergy-4 PCI VIVO, so I went "A-ha, a TNT2 VIVO" and immediately grabbed it.

Turns out my 40 years old memory is unreliable, the TNT2 Snyergy is Snyergy II, and Synergy-4 is a Permedia 2 card.

Schucks.

I was planning to stick this card into a Socket 7 DOS PC and use its TV-Out for easy DOS/Win3.x capture. How bad is this card for DOS and Win3x? The games I will try on this system are mostly 1993-1995 so scrolling issues in early DOS games are not a huge dealbreaker for me..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 3, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used a Permedia 2 PCI card with a Pentium machine running Windows 95 from 1998 to 2000. In my experience, it was mostly fine, and I think my driver disk included Windows 3.1 drivers. If I remember correctly...

OK: Descent 1 & 2, Daytona USA, Silent Thunder: A-10 Tank Killer II, HoverRace, Epic Pinball, DX-Ball, ZSNES

Not OK: Sabre Ace (messed up textures)

Reply 2 of 3, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I came here to search DOS driver.. Well it need Univbe 640x480 at least for games like Quake.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How bad is this card for DOS and Win3x?

For DOS? Really BAD - PCI Video cards benchmark: Electric Boogaloo Edition

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.