VOGONS

were/are the Voodoo 4 and 5 even worth owning?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 60, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-15, 12:51:

"...ok the T-Buffer but if sw developer must specifically code just for that I don't know how much useful it might be...

I think all T-Buffer features they've showed can be done on competitive fixed function hardware, at least with FSAA support. Original SIlent Hill 2 release had depth of field effects with DX7 video cards.

I always wondered how much hardware the VSA-100 had for that and I only remember in a Quake3 specific test and some tech demos. And also as said if sw devs could have done the same with other hardwares. Also when we think about the others unique features like Enviromental Bump Mapping of the G400 chip, the S3TC of the Savage chips, the NSR shading of the NV10 (that if I remember already should have had that), many solutions had their own even better and impressive features more or less used but meanwhile they're trying to remain compatible to the absolute latest API standards. And sometimes even more like the Pixel Shaders features table of the R200 chip if I remember correctly.