VOGONS

First post, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a proper adapter or converter that takes an HDMI signal, downscales it and outputs it as a standard definition RGB signal, switchable between PAL and NTSC, which I can then hook up to a European TV with an RGB SCART input.

I'd like to find such an adapter, so I can connect modern retro mini game consoles such as the NES Mini and Super NES Mini, but possibly also other modern game systems, to a CRT TV that accept RGB video through SCART, for that impossible-to-imitate retro video experience.

However, apparently all HDMI to SCART converters on the market are actually HDMI to Composite video (CVBS) adapters with a SCART output connector. This results in a much lower quality output than the TV is capable of.

I know that SCART was designed as a "plug & play" solution, allowing all the different TV video formats to be fed through the same connector, making it easier for consumers to work with it. The downside of this is that you never know what you're actually getting from the SCART output port of a video output device until you've actually bought it, plugged it in and checked the video quality. 🙁

I guess Chinese manufacturers just take the most common and cheap conversion chipsets they can get, which are usually HDMI to CVBS converters, since that's pretty much the "lowest common demoninator" that works worldwide, and then route it to a SCART output connector and call it a day. And that's a shame, because this way you don't use a European CRT television to its fullest potential. And it's especially frustrating, since an HDMI to RGB PAL/NTSC converter would theoretically actually be cheaper to make, since the chip wouldn't have to multiplex the different video components into a single composite signal.

I can find HDMI to S-Video converters on-line, as well as HDMI to YPbPr Component video converters, but I have yet to find an HDMI to SCART converter tha actually directly outputs an RGB SCART signal.

I suppose that HDMI to S-Video, which my TV also supports through its other SCART input port, would be the next best thing, but the fact that I still wouldn't be using the TV to its fullest potential still bugs me.

Why is there apparently no true HDMI to RGB SCART adapter available?

Note: I've done extensive Googling and searching on sites such as eBay, Amazon and Ali Express, but to no avail. Some of them allude to RGB SCART output, but once I do some research on the specific device, I find in the more detailed info (usually hidden in the specs or in the manual once I find it online) that it only outputs an CVBS on the SCART output port, not RGB. Sometimes, neither composite nor RGB are mentioned anywhere in the specs or manuals, but let's face it, that means it just supports composite output and the seller doesn't wnat to discourage potential buyers, so it leaves the information out altogether.

I guess I could go for a retro-gaming setup based on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a PI2SCART adapter to get the most high quality image out of that TV that way, but then I would have to extract the ROMs from my NES and SNES minis, which would be a legal grey area (but okay, as long as I don't redistribute those ROMs or keep using them after selling the mini console). But still, how can there not be a true HDMI to RGB SCART adapter out there?

Have I been looking in the wrong places? Perhaps such a device does actually exist somewhere after all?

Finally, there might be the option of feeding an YPbPr Component video signal in the RGB SCART input of the TV, which may or may not work, since apparently some European TVs support both RGB input and YPbPr Component input over the same 3 pins on the SCART connector. But even if my CRT TV would happen to support that, there's the risk of the HDMI to YPbPr Component converter not downscaling the input signal to regular PAL or NTSC resultion, assuming that the Component signal is intended for a pre-HDMI HDTV that supports 720p and 1080i, which still wouldn't work on a regular PAL CRT.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Part of the problem is that SCART in general and RGB over SCART specifically was a very EU-specific format. Most of the rest of the world used S-Video for higher-than-composite quality, and given that S-Video could also be fed over SCART, that just required a different connector, not different logic. RGB would offer better quality, but would be more difficult to implement.

I'm familiar with this issue from the other end - the company I work for had TV decoders in the past that offered composite and RGB over SCART, but no S-Video. TVs with native SCART invariably handled that fine (using RGB if available, otherwise defaulting to composite), but whenever people used SCART-to-S-Video adapters, they ended up with black&white picture 😉

Some of my video engineering colleagues are retro fans in their domain too, I'll ask if they have any tips here.

Reply 2 of 27, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, I would like that as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

Buy a simple HDMI to VGA adapter and pair it with a video down-scaler.

Example device here: https://www.retrorgb.com/emotia.html

That looks like a good option with NTSC 640x480 resolutions and (60Hz) refresh rates, but not such a great match for PAL 720x576@50Hz. However another device by Extron might just do the trick - an Extron VSC 500

The Extron VSC 500 High Resolution Computer-to-Video Scan Converter combines high performance processing, features, and value. It accepts computer-video signals at resolutions up to 1920x1200 and simultaneously outputs a scan-converted video signal as NTSC or PAL composite video, S-video, and component video or RGB video.

I see them on a popular auction site for less than EUR 30, although invariably located in the US, so including shipping could cost twice that.

Combine one with the aforementioned HDMI to VGA adapter and you should have nice PAL RGB output from pretty much any HDMI input up to FHD.

Edit:
Extron has more nice goodies. Searching locally (Marktplaats) for one of those VSCs showed up the Extron IN1508 Scaling Presentation Switcher. Total overkill for the purposes described here, but it accepts DVI-D (=HDMI video!) and can output 576p RGB. And it's cheaper than buying a VSC 500 in the US and getting it shipped across the pond, plus needing a separate HDMI-VGA adapter. All you need is a passive HDMI->single link DVI cable or connector adapter.

Reply 5 of 27, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
That looks like a good option with NTSC 640x480 resolutions and (60Hz) refresh rates, but not such a great match for PAL 720x576 […]
Show full quote
NJRoadfan wrote:

That looks like a good option with NTSC 640x480 resolutions and (60Hz) refresh rates, but not such a great match for PAL 720x576@50Hz. However another device by Extron might just do the trick - an Extron VSC 500

The Extron VSC 500 High Resolution Computer-to-Video Scan Converter combines high performance processing, features, and value. It accepts computer-video signals at resolutions up to 1920x1200 and simultaneously outputs a scan-converted video signal as NTSC or PAL composite video, S-video, and component video or RGB video.

I see them on a popular auction site for less than EUR 30, although invariably located in the US, so including shipping could cost twice that.

Combine one with the aforementioned HDMI to VGA adapter and you should have nice PAL RGB output from pretty much any HDMI input up to FHD.

Most HD televisions will happily accept NTSC signals over SCART (at least, it works with my Japanese Sega Saturn, which outputs RGB NTSC-J, and a custom RBG SCART cable).

Reply 7 of 27, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Support for 60Hz video on SCART RGB ports is very common on European TVs, even CRTs. I don't think Nintendo localized the European Mini consoles with the (hacked up) PAL versions of the games, so something that keeps 60Hz would be appropriate for them. The bigger problem is that they output 16:9 720p video. Any downscaling will likely result in letterboxing on 4:3 CRTs.

Reply 8 of 27, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Well yes, but HD televisions will accept native HDMI too - so not the focus of the question here I think.

...except that in my experience the HDMI connector will accept only specific resolutions, so you'll need an upscaler, which in some cases results in worse image quality 😵

Reply 9 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
That looks like a good option with NTSC 640x480 resolutions and (60Hz) refresh rates, but not such a great match for PAL 720x576 […]
Show full quote
NJRoadfan wrote:

Edit:
Extron has more nice goodies. Searching locally (Marktplaats) for one of those VSCs showed up the Extron IN1508 Scaling Presentation Switcher. Total overkill for the purposes described here, but it accepts DVI-D (=HDMI video!) and can output 576p RGB. And it's cheaper than buying a VSC 500 in the US and getting it shipped across the pond, plus needing a separate HDMI-VGA adapter. All you need is a passive HDMI->single link DVI cable or connector adapter.

These are some useful suggestions. I'll have a look at these options. Thanks, guys!

NJRoadfan wrote:

Support for 60Hz video on SCART RGB ports is very common on European TVs, even CRTs. I don't think Nintendo localized the European Mini consoles with the (hacked up) PAL versions of the games, so something that keeps 60Hz would be appropriate for them.

Thankfully, Nintendo indeed just put the 60Hz games on their retro mini consoles, even those for the European market. Iḿ glad about that, since all those games were originally developed to run on 60Hz anyway and some PAL conversions were done lazily back in the day, simply by running the games slower. Also, 60Hz would be smoother.

At least Nintendo handled this well, compared to Sony, who for some inexplicable reason installed 50Hz PAL game ROMs on the North-American edition of the PlayStation Classic! 😲 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=435eRW04OSE

And indeed, I'm kind of hoping that the CRT TV I'm going to be using for retro gaming supports NTSC as well. There's one way to find out...

The bigger problem is that they output 16:9 720p video. Any downscaling will likely result in letterboxing on 4:3 CRTs.

Hmmm... That's a good one. Letterbox would lead to an unacceptable loss of vertical resolution and would also result in an unnecessary thick black frame around the video, since the picture within the letterboxed video signal would still show a pillarboxed 4:3 retro game. Ideally, I'd want the downscaler to be able to either output anamorphic widescreen (if my CRT TV supports aspect ratio switching through pin 8 of the SCART connector, which only later TVs do) or (ideally) have the switchable option to let the downscaler crop the left and right parts of the screen, which would be black in the case of those retro consoles anyway.

If whatever HDMI/SCART conversion solution I end up using doesn't support aspect ratio switching on pin 8, I may have to improvise with some kind of DIY extension cable to hack around that. But even that would only work if the TV allowed me to select a "pan & scan" mode that would stretch and crop the sides of the anamorphic signal (if the downscaler could even convert to anamorphic SD video). And even then I would lose some horizontal resolution. Aaargh! Maybe I should just stick to the PI2SCART solution after all. At least in that case, I could configure the Raspberry Pi to directly output an RGB signal at exactly the optimal 4:3 PAL or NTSC resolution.

Reply 10 of 27, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even if the TV doesn't have the option to change the letterboxing setting, sometimes it's possible to use a video or hard disk recorder to change it and send the correct format to the TV.

But of course it is better if you simply send the correct aspect ratio to the TV.

Reply 11 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Even if the TV doesn't have the option to change the letterboxing setting, sometimes it's possible to use a video or hard disk recorder to change it and send the correct format to the TV.

Thanks for the creative suggestion, but I'm pretty sure that would both degrade the resulting video and add considerable lag to it.

But of course it is better if you simply send the correct aspect ratio to the TV.

Agreed. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the PI2SCART is the way to go for my retrogaming needs. Those Nintendo consoles were obviously not intended to be hooked up to 4:3 CRT TVs. It would still be a fun challenge to somehow get it working in a high-quality way, though. 😀

Reply 12 of 27, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

I don't think Nintendo localized the European Mini consoles with the (hacked up) PAL versions of the games

That is correct.

European NES and SNES Mini have 60-Hz NTSC versions of all games.
In fact I think there's no separate European version of NES Mini.

European SNES Mini has different chassis (similar to Japanese version) and menu skin, but games are identical to the US version.

The bigger problem is that they output 16:9 720p video. Any downscaling will likely result in letterboxing on 4:3 CRTs.

The consoles are able to fall back to 480p, though I don't know how to reliably force this mode.
This somehow happened to me only once accidentally. Got back 720p after reset.

Reply 13 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote:

The consoles are able to fall back to 480p, though I don't know how to reliably force this mode.
This somehow happened to me only once accidentally. Got back 720p after reset.

I guess that this could be forced by a monitor or TV (or HDMI to SCART adapter) that lists 480p as its optimal or maximum supported resolution in the EDID metadata that it communicates back to the console through the HDMI port.

When you experienced that glitch, do you remember whether the video was still 16:9? Was it a resolution like 854x480? I believe that's a square pixel resolution that was supported by older non-HD 16:9 plasma screens.

Reply 14 of 27, by SultanMehmet61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for joining in late to this topic. @Digger. Have you perhaps made any progress in finding something for connecting HD signals to RGB scart? I've read through all the posts but the only solutions I found in this topic have been VGA to BNC connectors. If I am not mistaken, aren't these specifically used in PVM/BVM monitors?

I also have a European PAL/NTSC compatible RGB Scart TV (a SONY Trinitron) and would also like to tinker with something to make HDMI to RGB Scart possible.
I got an adapter in today and like digger said, unfortunately it was a HDMI to composite only. So I went online for a solution and found this topic which described my issues perfectly.

@Digger, if you found anything please let me know! Thanks.

Reply 16 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SultanMehmet61 wrote on 2020-08-05, 16:07:
Sorry for joining in late to this topic. @Digger. Have you perhaps made any progress in finding something for connecting HD sign […]
Show full quote

Sorry for joining in late to this topic. @Digger. Have you perhaps made any progress in finding something for connecting HD signals to RGB scart? I've read through all the posts but the only solutions I found in this topic have been VGA to BNC connectors. If I am not mistaken, aren't these specifically used in PVM/BVM monitors?

I also have a European PAL/NTSC compatible RGB Scart TV (a SONY Trinitron) and would also like to tinker with something to make HDMI to RGB Scart possible.
I got an adapter in today and like digger said, unfortunately it was a HDMI to composite only. So I went online for a solution and found this topic which described my issues perfectly.

@Digger, if you found anything please let me know! Thanks.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything like this so far. This seems like an interesting FPGA project. Unfortunately, I lack the expertise to craft something like that. Ideally, such a device would not only convert a digital signal to an analog RGB signal, but would also perform high quality scaling and also offer different selectable modes of handling widescreen conversion (letterboxed, cropped, anamorphic).

Any electronics wizards here on Vogons willing to take a stab at this? 😉

Reply 17 of 27, by SultanMehmet61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-08-05, 16:23:

Why not just get something that can output analogue RGB at the proper frequency and required sync and connect it to the proper pins on a SCART shell ?

Well that's the problem. Everything that has an anologue output I already connected with success. This is for my devices which only have digital outputs like HDMI. Also to answer the last part of your post, I have no knowledge of connecting anything to SCART pins and would rather tinker with software and plugging hardware in rather than modifying internals.

To put it simply, I want to hook up a 240p media player to my CRT (one that also plays more recent and heavier video codecs). But the solutions I have are either interlaced (480i/576i) or composite. I need both 240p AND RGB if possible.

I recently modded my Nintendo Switch with CFW and also succeeded in installing ubuntu on it which I wanted to use on my CRT, and I did, but the quality left more to be desired. The aspect ratio of the switch or other HDMI devices is not a problem since you can just use stretch in the appropriate software to make it look like it's native 4:3.

So if you guys know of a media player that does both 240p AND RGB (scart) my search would basically be over.

digger wrote on 2020-08-06, 10:00:
SultanMehmet61 wrote on 2020-08-05, 16:07:

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything like this so far. This seems like an interesting FPGA project. Unfortunately, I lack the expertise to craft something like that. Ideally, such a device would not only convert a digital signal to an analog RGB signal, but would also perform high quality scaling and also offer different selectable modes of handling widescreen conversion (letterboxed, cropped, anamorphic).

Any electronics wizards here on Vogons willing to take a stab at this? 😉

Ah yes FPGA. If you are talking about gaming consoles, I did manage to hook up most of my old school gaming systems to my CRT (modified them where necesarry), but the one area I lack success is video playback. I have a Wii which is very very bad at playing anything that is 1GB+. My ps3 does play them better but has no native 240p out. My ps2 has a 240p media player but like the Wii is simply not powerfull enough.

I bought a PC with an old AMD video card and tried to tinker with some software to make it work to no avail.

I believe my only realistic option is to tinker with a Raspberry Pi in combination with a HAT (VGA/SCART). I have a RGB-Pi which outputs 240p but the software is specifically written for retro games and not video playback. And the retropie images do not natively support 240p. I would have to manually edit the config files but am not skilled enough to do that.

Reply 18 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SultanMehmet61 wrote on 2020-08-06, 12:25:

I believe my only realistic option is to tinker with a Raspberry Pi in combination with a HAT (VGA/SCART). I have a RGB-Pi which outputs 240p but the software is specifically written for retro games and not video playback. And the retropie images do not natively support 240p. I would have to manually edit the config files but am not skilled enough to do that.

Yeah, I went for a similar solution, using a Raspberry Pi 2 and a PI2SCART module. See http://pi2jamma.info/pi2scart

But I intended this for retrogaming, not video playback.

Reply 19 of 27, by SultanMehmet61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-08-06, 13:07:
SultanMehmet61 wrote on 2020-08-06, 12:25:

Yeah, I went for a similar solution, using a Raspberry Pi 2 and a PI2SCART module. See http://pi2jamma.info/pi2scart

But I intended this for retrogaming, not video playback.

Interesting. Do you not know of the RGB-Pi? https://www.rgb-pi.com/
And if you do, do you perhaps know of the differences? I am not familiar with the PI2SCART. Does it support Retropie (240p)? Because I do know that some buildx of Retropie support Kodi which is a teriffic media player AND it can stream which would be icing on the cake. Do you have to convert/change any files? Thanks!