VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SultanMehmet61 wrote on 2020-08-06, 13:11:

Interesting. Do you not know of the RGB-Pi? https://www.rgb-pi.com/
And if you do, do you perhaps know of the differences? I am not familiar with the PI2SCART. Does it support Retropie (240p)? Because I do know that some buildx of Retropie support Kodi which is a teriffic media player AND it can stream which would be icing on the cake. Do you have to convert/change any files? Thanks!

I didn't know about it yet, no. At first glance, it seems like a similar product, just with a different form factor. But both seem to plug into the GPIO pins and offer a SCART port.

Yeah, I've been using the PI2SCART with Retropie. But so far only for gaming. I haven't tried it for video playback yet.

Reply 21 of 27, by SultanMehmet61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-08-06, 14:13:

And if you do, do you perhaps know of the differences? I am not familiar with the PI2SCART. Does it support Retropie (240p)? Because I do know that some buildx of Retropie support Kodi which is a teriffic media player AND it can stream which would be icing on the cake. Do you have to convert/change any files? Thanks!

I didn't know about it yet, no. At first glance, it seems like a similar product, just with a different form factor. But both seem to plug into the GPIO pins and offer a SCART port.

Yeah, I've been using the PI2SCART with Retropie. But so far only for gaming. I haven't tried it for video playback yet.

Could you perhaps share with me your config files? I wan't to try this out for myself but as your setup is similair to mine I think it would work if I used your config files. Thanks in advance.

Reply 22 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SultanMehmet61 wrote on 2020-08-06, 14:26:

Could you perhaps share with me your config files? I wan't to try this out for myself but as your setup is similair to mine I think it would work if I used your config files. Thanks in advance.

I basically edited the config.txt on my SD card as instructed here: http://pi2jamma.info/pi2scart#installation

Reply 23 of 27, by SultanMehmet61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-08-07, 09:42:

I basically edited the config.txt on my SD card as instructed here: http://pi2jamma.info/pi2scart#installation

Cool thanks! I will try this as soon as my PI2SCART comes in, it should arrive tomorrow. Also, this should also work with the PI4 right? As a retropie build has finally been released for the Pi4 recently. I'm asking this as I have a PI4 at home and will receiver a Pi3 from a friend next week.

Reply 24 of 27, by SultanMehmet61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-08-07, 09:42:

Hey Digger! I did it, everything works with the PI2SCART with my Pi4. The only and last issue I have left is that I have some overscan left. This is annoying as I cannot see every menu of de pi or retropie or kodi. Did you do something to change the settings of your screen to make it fit? I did see some video timings script 2.0 software but couldn't get it to work and since I am having trouble with overscan I also cannot see the commands I type in the retropie terminal (the one you access with F4).

Thank you in advance, I am almost there!!!

EDIT: I tried putting disable_overscan = to 1 and 0 but it didn't change anything.

Reply 25 of 27, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to read, SultanMehmet61!

I didn't know whether the PI2SCART would work with the Raspberry Pi 4. I might upgrade to one, so that's good to know.

I remember having to fiddle with overscan stuff as well, although I'm not sure if I actually found a solution fr it. I haven't played with my retro gaming rig in awhile, though, so I'll have to take a look at it again for that.

Reply 26 of 27, by SultanMehmet61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-08-08, 22:15:

Good to read, SultanMehmet61!

I didn't know whether the PI2SCART would work with the Raspberry Pi 4. I might upgrade to one, so that's good to know.

I remember having to fiddle with overscan stuff as well, although I'm not sure if I actually found a solution fr it. I haven't played with my retro gaming rig in awhile, though, so I'll have to take a look at it again for that.

I will gladly help if you do decide to upgrade. Please, please let me know if you do decide to use it because I couldn't for the life of me figure it out.

What I did in the end was. I opened up Kodi completely ignoring games (as I use my Wii for those) and having issues with overscan in Kodi as well. But what I did was, in the Kodi options you can actually zoom out, so I zoomed out a few times and it worked perfectly. The text is a bit hard to read but because I know the interface backwards it's pretty easy for me to use.

Reply 27 of 27, by Psy-Q

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Pi2SCART as well and am very happy with it. But!

Since the RPi 3 can't do video all that well through Pi2SCART, I tinkered a separate ghetto solution for getting video and retrogames on the CRT. I use a Playstation 3, modded it for homebrew and got an RGB SCART cable. Retro Gaming Cables makes one.

This offers a very good port of RetroArch as well as a movie player that can access DLNA and SMB servers among other things. You can even watch Netflix since the PS3 still has a native app for that!

Very neat for 80 and 90s movie nights. Now if only someone made an analog VHS distortion generator to loop into the signal...