VOGONS

First post, by Butler2679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Related to STB Voodoo II

The 10mb voodoo 2 was used in Midway arcade machines. They can be found on ebay sometimes, but don't have PCI brackets.

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are specifically stripped Obsidian V2s that just have less framebuffer memory (which is fine, as the games in question don't support more than 640x480 and even default at 512x384 anyway). They also don't have VGA passthrough nor SLI.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had a couple of these (still have one).

They are interesting cards. They seem to be intended for low resolutions with higher quality textures compared to an 8MB model.

If you've got a monitor with a second VGA input (or a VGA switch box) they work quite nicely. To be honest, a Voodoo 2 runs much better at 640x480 than higher resolutions anyway so it isn't much of a loss versus a 12MB card.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 5, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a pair of 12MB Voodoo2 cards in one of my systems and an 8MB version in another. From what I understand, the difference between 8MB and 12MB was they doubled each Texture Mapper's memory space from 2MB each to 4MB each. The Frame Buffer was 4MB on all cards. How does the 10MB card from the arcade machines differ?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2mb frame, 4mb for each TMU. Around that time arcade cabinets still rarely used high resolution and Voodoo 2 didn't had horsepower for a smooth 60fps above 640x480 anyway.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.