VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently found a "Viper V330 NLX" AGP with a Riva 128ZX chip on it. I was under the mistaken impression that the ZX was faster, but apparently this chip was only created to allow for 8MB of memory and a faster RAMDAC for higher resolutions.

Problem is, this card is only 4MB and there doesn't really seem to be any mention of it being a ZX anywhere. Everest shows the card as actually having the same RAMDAC speed and actually even a LOWER clock speed (95Mhz) compared to other Riva128 cards. The card looks like it is missing a capacitor (didn't notice until after testing) and wouldn't accept any drivers so I'm going to repair it and then see if anything changes. I'm still a bit confused by this.

Are the 128 and 128ZX totally interchangeable? To the point that later cards that weren't a "ZX" model might end up with a ZX chip without actually having any of the ZX features?

My card is an "E" revision and looks identical to this one, except that the main chip is a ZX like this one.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 2, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I replaced the capacitor on the card and it is working now. It installs normally with the Riva 128/128ZX driver and Everest clearly identifies it as a 128ZX, but it says the RAMDAC is 206Mhz (same as any Riva 128), it only has 4MB of RAM and the clock/RAM speed is only 95Mhz.

Basically, other than having a newer chip, it is no different than the first Riva 128 cards... in fact it is 5Mhz slower.

I wonder if there any other differences with ZX equipped cards.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 2, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a pretty interesting link about the card, it does seem the ZX is an improvement, if only a minor one in theory.
It's supposed to support more than 4 MB of memory, but it appears whoever made your card didn't opt for the upgrade....

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-a … a-128zx,58.html

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.