VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
is there some proven video memory testing tool for not ancient videocards, which is able test every cell, every range like Memtest for RAM?

People usually recommend to run some benchmark and wait it will not freeze, reset machine, or use eyes to hunt to artefacts.. well its possible with i would rather use something more technical.

So far im using Video Memory Stress Test https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vide … tress_test.html, but it has some limitations like:

1. * It need Windows (and Windows drivers to target card) - it running at least in WinXP+, i managed to get it run Win98, but im not sure if it working.
    * As Rayer mentioned to me, that in Windows some VRAM space is probably reserved and that such program cant test it, where is some CD/USB version, but i never tested it.
    * Im not really some how much complete test this is, if really check every memory cell or its more high level.
    * I found out tam test is depended on RAM, i had once bad area in RAM stick, Windows worked "fine", but this test showed my errors in VRAM, but it was false report and VRAM was ok, RAM stick was broken.

So im looking for something better, some old version of OCCT had in the past some button for VRAM testing, but its dependent in videa card drivers and not works with newer cards / drivers and in new version OCCT i dont see such option. Other tools new some Nvidia Cuda stuff installed or have other annoying features.. maybe someone knew something better.

For example now i bough 10 videocards package,only because i want 1 of them and need to test them..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you will always need full low level chip support, for example nvidia mods https://docplayer.net/24603374-Mods-modular-d … s-products.html https://youtu.be/DG_dyOohSQ0?t=9m8s
otherwise you are limited to ram allocated by the driver into usable graphic buffer pool (Video Memory Stress Test etc)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for explanation. So VMT is best tool which you can get without some bios modding?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

bios modding?
Mods is the best you can get for nvidia because thats the software actually used in production
I imagine it wouldnt be all that hard to write dos program testing DOS VESA cards (VLB/PCI? map LFB and run memtest on that), but anything more than dumb frame buffer card is a grey area and will rely on tricks like Video Memory Stress Test.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote:

bios modding?

I probably not fully understand what means "you will always need full low level chip support" , i suppose that i means some special bios. Maybe it means "only" some special low level tool, which is available only on per card basic..

Reply 5 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote:
rasz_pl wrote:

bios modding?

I probably not fully understand what means "you will always need full low level chip support" , i suppose that i means some special bios. Maybe it means "only" some special low level tool, which is available only on per card basic..

yes, it means special tool, available per chip vendor. MODS, the one linked earlier is one such tool for nvidia gpus.

Reply 6 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My two cents:
I do not know of a video card ram tester.
That Video Memory Stress program does not say anything how it works.

But:
The Windows GDI has functions that can be used for video ram testing.
You can set up a virtual screen that occupies the whole video ram.
Then you bitblit forth and back between video ram and system ram and compare.
I guess the Video Memory Stress program will do something in that direction.
But as the OP already found out, that is of limited value on consumer grade computers without ECC memory.

Reply 7 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://web.archive.org/web/20081211174813/ht … ot.nl/vbe20.txt

Note: Mode 81FFh is a special mode designed to preserve the current memory contents and to give access to the entire video […]
Show full quote

Note: Mode 81FFh is a special mode designed to preserve the current
memory contents and to give access to the entire video memory. This
mode is especially useful for saving the entire video memory contents
before going into a state that could lose the contents (e.g. set this
mode to gain access to all video memory to save it before going into a
volatile power down state).

Reply 8 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That vesa function looks interesting.
But I have doubt about its universal usability.

Reason:
Its implementation could reveal information about the inner workings of the graphics cards chipset.
To avoid such, for example Nvidia partly broke their VGA compatibility by not implementing the standard VGA BIOS' SaveState and RestoreState functions. (These just return, pretending successful execution, without actually doing anything)