VOGONS

Cropped screen

Topic actions

First post, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I have a Siemens Nixdorf scenic mobile 710 with a 12.1" LCD TFT.
I installed Windows 98 SE and I can fill the screen with 1024x768.
The problem is in my dos application running at 800x600, which is cropped at the center of the screen.
The program resolution is fixed.
The bios does not have options for this.
I searched the web for some utilities but I still don't resolve this issue.
Any help is appreciated!

Reply 2 of 24, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much! It works!
In reality I don't know why, but my bios, "PHOENIXBIOS 4.0 release 5. 1" is a little bit cropped, and so all my dos things, even with the tsr!
It seems that I can't change resolution in bios, so maybe an updated version can solve the issue?

Reply 3 of 24, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS screens will remain cropped as the TSR is loaded after that. Try VEXP M2 to see if that gives you full screen in DOS. Scaling graphics/text mode are seperate functions of the video card.

YouTube

Reply 4 of 24, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried M2, but the whole dos "space" stays inside "borders", the same ones of the bios! The tsr works but with these limits!
Do you think it's a think of my lcd laptop screen?

Reply 6 of 24, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
The dos application just fills the portion of screen "allowed" by dos and bios "limits", probably because of the laptop lcd, because, when I use an external display in CRT mode it properly behaves.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 24, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This photo is without TRS

Attachments

Reply 8 of 24, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know FastTracker II uses a 640x400 mode... Perhaps it tries to maintain square pixels or FTII uses some video signal trickery for its timing. Can you try Wolfenstein 3D? It has become my test game of choice to test videoscaling on my videocard.

YouTube

Reply 9 of 24, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
drastikterror wrote:

Hi,
The dos application just fills the portion of screen "allowed" by dos and bios "limits", probably because of the laptop lcd, because, when I use an external display in CRT mode it properly behaves.

Yeah, this is normal behaviour because the TSR preserves the aspect ratio of the original resolution. Afaik, it can only scale neatly between resolutions that are multiples of each other, and since 1024p is not a multiple of 320p, you get the borders to make up the rest of the screen space.

Reply 10 of 24, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here we are...

Attachments

Reply 13 of 24, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
henryVK wrote:

Yeah, this is normal behaviour because the TSR preserves the aspect ratio of the original resolution. Afaik, it can only scale neatly between resolutions that are multiples of each other, and since 1024p is not a multiple of 320p, you get the borders to make up the rest of the screen space.

Ah, on my Savage4 card scaling also includes expansion to 4:3. I had the idea that the utility for the CT65554 worked in the same manner, as the FAQ states:
* Toggles DOS graphics expansion on/off (play DOS games full screen !)

But that might be with 640x480 panels only.

YouTube

Reply 15 of 24, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote:
Ah, on my Savage4 card scaling also includes expansion to 4:3. I had the idea that the utility for the CT65554 worked in the sam […]
Show full quote
henryVK wrote:

Ah, on my Savage4 card scaling also includes expansion to 4:3. I had the idea that the utility for the CT65554 worked in the same manner, as the FAQ states:
* Toggles DOS graphics expansion on/off (play DOS games full screen !)

But that might be with 640x480 panels only.

That's what I first thought, but you are actually right, my other Toshiba Tecra with 800*600 panel does scale to fullscreen.

But I've had a 1024*768 Thinkpad that scaled just like this Siemens does. My guess is that it's down to the video chip and I cannot verify that the Scenic Mobile 710 actually has the CT65554.

Edit: nevermind, of course it does have a CT65554, VEXP wouldn't have worked in the first place if it didn't.

Last edited by henryVK on 2019-04-03, 09:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 24, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS will set a 400 line resolution, no matter what you do. No TSR will influence this.
I've just checked the CT6554 hardware register document. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download … p=rep1&type=pdf

Support for 1024 panels is mentioned, as is stretching. There is an option for vertical line replication, but not for horizontal. Perhaps if 400-line graphics stretching is enabled it will give you 4:3 aspect ratio, but still with borders as it does full integer scaling horizontally.

YouTube

Reply 18 of 24, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
henryVK wrote:

That's what I first thought, but you are actually right, my other Toshiba Tecra with 800*600 panel does scale to fullscreen.

But I've had a 1024*768 Thinkpad that scaled just like this Siemens does.

Perhaps it's due to panel size.

drastikterror wrote:

So do you think it is possible to change this behavior? I am not expert in editing bios...

Not my expertise either... An updated TSR would perhaps be your best bet. Would be nice to have the source of VEXP.

YouTube

Reply 19 of 24, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I post the pics of the main video modes, LCD, CRT or BOTH, just to show the different behaviour.
Note that in exclusive CRT mode (with external display) the screen is completely filled.

Attachments