VOGONS

SIS 305 16MB PCI

Topic actions

First post, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ordered a Kaser brand 16MB SIS video card on ebay yesterday for potential use in my AMD socket 3 system. I can't find much of any information about this card online. Attached are a few pictures from the ebay listing.

Attachments

• s-l500 (2).jpg
    Filename
    s-l500 (2).jpg
    File size
    44.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • s-l500 (3).jpg
    Filename
    s-l500 (3).jpg
    File size
    45.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l500 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l500 (1).jpg
    File size
    52.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l500.jpg
    Filename
    s-l500.jpg
    File size
    41.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by pete8475 on 2019-04-21, 23:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 22, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"High performance PCI Graphics Accelerator"
*chuckles*

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 22, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

'KÄSER'. Käse in German is cheese. You say things are 'Käse' if they are crap... Not wanting to judge SiS, but I think they made not the best gfx cards...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

*chuckles*

Never saw a product that advertised itself as 'For Suckers!' on the box, so what do you expect?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

*chuckles*

Never saw a product that advertised itself as 'For Suckers!' on the box, so what do you expect?

🤣

Not much considering it's going to be in my Socket 3 133mhz AMD machine and used primarily for DOS games. That machine currently has an ATI 8mb 3d rage pro "turbo"

Reply 9 of 22, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Expect TNT2 M64 Performance some times equal some times bit slower.
The SiS 305 is cheaper Version of SiS 300 which has broader RAM interface.
SiS 305 works very well for me, i did not notice any great bugs and it just does it job.

The 6326 was a budget Card and didnt offer sufficient Performance in 640x480.
But it has pretty solid drivers, which have less rendering bugs then many of its competitors..
This Card is from MID 1997.
Only Laguna3D, S3 Virge and AT3D are more worse.

The SiS 315 is at least as good as a GeForce 2MX.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 10 of 22, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah,

The 6326 wasn't a completely awful card. I just have bad memories of trying to get Unreal to play correctly with it on my k6-2.

It wasn't the cards fault, i was just trying to get it to punch above it's weight.

Reply 11 of 22, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i had similar experiences.. but with savage 4 and buggy drivers from cd.
Until i got a PC-Games Magazin with a Driver CD on it.. and all problems magicly disappered.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 12 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote:

so why are you downgrading?

Is it a downgrade? It does have twice the ram and it's not like that ATI card is exactly fast. I will definitely run some benchmarks on both when it comes in.

I kind of like having a SIS graphics card in a machine with a SIS chipset on the motherboard.

EDIT - For shits and giggles I ran 3dMark99 Max on the ATI card and got a whopping 13 3dMarks and 9 CPUMarks. I will run it on the SIS card as soon as it shows up. I wonder if it can best the massive score of 13!!!

Reply 13 of 22, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

305 is fine, its not as terrible as the 6326. performance is comparable to voodoo2. it can run the games of the era in 640x480 above 30 fps and it can run most of them in 800x600 around 25 fps.

also the 6326 was NOT that terrible when it was released.
however, it quickly became obsolete... it ran the dx5 games fine, but the dx7 era games were too slow on it, performing worse than its competitors.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html

Reply 14 of 22, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pete8475 wrote:
rasz_pl wrote:

so why are you downgrading?

Is it a downgrade? It does have twice the ram and it's not like that ATI card is exactly fast. I will definitely run some benchmarks on both when it comes in.

There is practically nothing you could play on 486 that ill benefit from 3D accelerator, 2D quality tho ..

Geri wrote:

305 is fine, its not as terrible as the 6326. performance is comparable to voodoo2. it can run the games of the era in 640x480 above 30 fps and it can run most of them in 800x600 around 25 fps.

not on

AMD socket 3 system

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 15 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote:

There is practically nothing you could play on 486 that ill benefit from 3D accelerator, 2D quality tho ..

The 2d quality is quite nice on the ATI card, massively better than the S3 Virge I had in there for a bit.

The main things I've been playing lately are Quest for Glory 1 and Police Quest 1, they definitely need as much 3d powah as possible. 🤣 Obviously kidding when I say that.

Reply 16 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thing to watch with DOS cards is VESA compatibility. Never seen how SiS 305 does in that department, but ATi Rage chips are decidedly average. According to this matrix, the 315 is much more compatible than Rage, so assuming the 305 has similar behaviour, just slightly slower in the 3D you don't need/can't use, it might well prove to be a sensible upgrade:https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Reply 17 of 22, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Thing to watch with DOS cards is VESA compatibility. Never seen how SiS 305 does in that department, but ATi Rage chips are decidedly average. According to this matrix, the 315 is much more compatible than Rage, so assuming the 305 has similar behaviour, just slightly slower in the 3D you don't need/can't use, it might well prove to be a sensible upgrade: https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Interesting chart, thank you for linking that page!