VOGONS

First post, by ChrisDOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Riva TNT from Creative (CT6710) for my 1998 Compaq Deskpro EP/SB (Slot 1 440EX Chipset).

Now every time the computer boots I'm getting an "Error 162 - System options not set" within the POST screen.

From what I've read so far this usually happens when the hardware configuration changes and you're supposed to reset the CMOS setup and stuff.
I've done all of that but the Error still occurs. Literally all other cards from that era (Rage 3D, TNT2, Riva 128, Voodoo3...) cause no problems whatsoever.

Now the weird part is: The BIOS gives me the option to boot into Windows (98SE) regardless of the error and... well, the card works perfectly fine.

Also, in my backup Machine (Celeron 400 / Award BIOS) it doesn't produce any POST errors, which leads me to the conclusion that there's some kind of incompatibility between the Compaq and this specific card.

Does anyone happen to have experience with this error? Is there anything I could try to fix it? (Maybe flashing the card's bios?)

I'd appreciate all suggestions. 😀