VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, i'm doing an extensive test of different driver versions with different nvidia cards, but i'm having a weird issue.
The driver 45.23, back in time were the best drivers for Geforce cards, from the oldest to the geforce 4 series.
Now i'm using a P4S5A/DX+ with P4 3.06, 1gb of ddr memory and Windows xp sp3 fully updated.
If i'm using Riva tnt cards (1, 2, m64 or ultra doesn't matter) everything is ok, but as soon I switch to a geforce card (I tried the 2 and 3 so far) and install the 45.23 drivers after the restart the video screen starts to get black every time I click a button on windows, or on the start screen and when it gets back is corrupted with horizontal lines, icons out of place or missing. In 3d I have been able to run 3dmark (99\00\01) on Geforce2 MX but as soon I installed Geforce3 3dmark99 hangs in one of the first tests always at the same test, while the 2k and 01 runs fine for like 30 minutes but then hang.

I tried to install a fresh copy of windows but the issue in 2d stays, I also tried the 44.03 drivers, I had the same problem, I noticed that the default drivers are 57.62 (not from nvidia but from microsoft) and they are newer than 45.23 (in fact both windows and nvidia installer warn me that i'm installing older drivers).
I'm thinking that is the 4x.xx release that is problematic with windows xp sp3 fully updated because using older drivers (28.32) or newer (5x.xx) everything is fine and i'm having no issues at all.

Any suggestion?
Thanks