VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by auron

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it's just that fpu-heavy quake is about the worst case scenario possible for that chip. mostly integer-based stuff like duke3d will run a lot better.

as seen here, the 233 MMX will give more than 100% better performance: https://thandor.net/benchmark/33

Reply 21 of 25, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-07-04, 18:02:
Putas wrote on 2020-07-04, 17:00:
matze79 wrote on 2020-07-04, 13:10:

You need at least a Rage Pro Turbo if you want see some fps.

Why?

Because even the Rage Pro Turbo isn't that great in Quake II OpenGL .

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphic- … il-98,64-5.html

I was of course concerned only about the "Turbo" part.

Reply 22 of 25, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a Ati Xpert Play PCI with a 233 MMX, Quake 1 kinda worked. Maybe at 20/25 fps, difficult to remember. Same card as the Xpert Work, but with TV out. I think it was a Rage Pro.
With the usual Ati OpenGL defects , all particles are squarred 😀
Adding a Voodoo1 was a great improvement.

Reply 23 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Rage Pro Turbo PCI in my MMX200 PC at the moment and it's playable (20-30fps) in 640x480 OpenGL, it's kind of at Voodoo 1 speeds, there isn't a world of difference. The image quality is very different, there is no mipmapping and texture filtering, it looks more like software rendering than OpenGL. I quite like it, to be honest.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 25, by dominik0801

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My choice to this card was exactly some old benchmarks which didn't show too much of a difference between a V1 and the Rage Pro, that's why I was so confused when it didn't perform as expected.
But now I am pretty sure it's the CPU bottlenecking the experience, because I just rejumpered the system to OC che CPU, and the game already runs better - seems like I will do rebuild this PC with the other motherboard and MMX233.