VOGONS

First post, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
I have been on the hunt for a fx5900ultra for a while now and the prices are, well kinda insane.

The Quadro cards are intresting to me as an alternative.

Here is my question.

Are there oem versions of the Quadro fx3000 that has bios limitations/bugs or something else that will make it a troublesome process to use it as a good alternative to the gf5fx?

I have been searching alot on google on 5900xt/fx5900 and the fx5900ultra.

I cant quite make up my mind on what to get.

Got a gf4 ti4600 right now and i have reached a limit i think when it comes to games like Bloodrayne,chaser and mace griffin.

P4 3ghz prescott.
Mobo asus P4c800e-deluxe.
X2 256mb pc3200 dual channel.
Aureal vortex 2.
500gb sata drive (80gb partion enabled)

I got big zalman coolers on both the GF4 and the P4 cpu.

I could overclock but seriously this cant be a cpu limitation as my p3 tualatin 1.4ghz runs these games almost exactly the same.

Has to be the gpu right?

Anyway i want to find an high end geforce5/quadro for a low price.

Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 17, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would not bother with a Geforce FX for such demanding games. Get a Geforce 6800GT/Ultra or X800/850XT (cheaper). Or just play them on a much faster XP system.

The Geforce FX is only useful for compatibility with much older games but generally the Geforce 4 is fast enough for those.

Reply 2 of 17, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This won't really answer your question but for games past 2001 I would suggest a WinXP machine. Use quad core CPUs, PCIe, GeForce 600 series or ATi/AMD HD 5/6/7000 cards, X-Fi sound cards - go to town!
Why be restricted by limitations of Win9x if you are playing WinXP games? 😀

Reply 3 of 17, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not familiar with these games... how well/bad can they run on Ti4600. However FX 5900 Ultra is approximately twice as fast compared to the Ti4600.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 17, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right now my only option is to dual boot as i have no more room.

No way i want to loose win98se as it can play such a wide range of games.

5900ultra gotta be enough for bloodrayne and chaser.

I want it to be able to play games from 2001 aswell as the older ones.

Games made after 2001 does not intrest me on this build.

And yes Chaser is from 2004 i think but it can run on my current build, it just dips a bit here and there.

Reply 5 of 17, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The quadro is excellent if not better than the fx. And you can flash it into an fx if needed. And as you noticed they are substantial cheaper I suggest watching some videos on Phil's computer lab, I think he talks about this.

Reply 7 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FX 59x0 is like a super fast Ti 4600, but a GF 6600GT will blow them away even in some DirectX 8 / OpenGL 1.4 games. They also seem to have somewhat higher driver CPU overhead. Info in threads here.

Win9x is a pain in the ass best avoided unless your hardware is too slow or doesn't have decent WDM/XP drivers. Also Win9x often becomes even less stable when you install DirectX 8+. It's also easier to have lots of RAM with XP. Most games will be fine with XP. Dual boot maybe.

Flashing a Quadro FXxxxx to a GeForce is complicated. Phil referenced some work someone else did on here so try searching.

Reply 8 of 17, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a quadro FX 2000. I use rivatuner in windows 98 to configure the card as a FX 5800, and it is plenty fast. Due to driver overhead, a 4600 ti is usually going to perform the same or faster, but in XP the FX cards are a lot better.

Reply 9 of 17, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

FX 59x0 is like a super fast Ti 4600, but a GF 6600GT will blow them away even in some DirectX 8 / OpenGL 1.4 games. They also seem to have somewhat higher driver CPU overhead. Info in threads here.

Win9x is a pain in the ass best avoided unless your hardware is too slow or doesn't have decent WDM/XP drivers. Also Win9x often becomes even less stable when you install DirectX 8+. It's also easier to have lots of RAM with XP. Most games will be fine with XP. Dual boot maybe.

Flashing a Quadro FXxxxx to a GeForce is complicated. Phil referenced some work someone else did on here so try searching.

To be fair a Geforce 1030 will blow away the lot of them. No-one, and I mean no-one, uses the FX series because they are fast overall, they use them because they are compatible with old DX6/7 features and support AA with good image quality, and for that purpose beat the next best thing (ti4600) handily, not to mention are probably easier to find than a ti4600 (die less often as well).

WinXP means DX9 and you should run fast away from FX series for that.

Reply 10 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed.

Recently slapped together a C2Q system for 9x-Windows 10 game testing and put a Geforce FX 5200 in there. I'm so used to putting the "best" in my builds but there is no such thing and for 9x old game testing this card will be fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote:

To be fair a Geforce 1030 will blow away the lot of them. No-one, and I mean no-one, uses the FX series because they are fast overall, they use them because they are compatible with old DX6/7 features and support AA with good image quality, and for that purpose beat the next best thing (ti4600) handily, not to mention are probably easier to find than a ti4600 (die less often as well).

WinXP means DX9 and you should run fast away from FX series for that.

Hey relatively new person, I am aware of what the FX series is useful for. 😁

There really is nothing wrong with XP for old games. But I noticed he wants to use Vortex 2 so nevermind with the XP suggestion. Those cards are a good reason to bust out 98SE. They barely work with 2K/XP.

Reply 12 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealdevon wrote:

Aureal vortex 2

By the way, if you install DirectX newer than 7.0a and you are using Aureal drivers > revision 2015 (or so), you will probably run into some OS freezes/crashes. The Diamond MX300 drivers work ok (if that's the card you have). I think they are based on something near v2015.

If you stick to DirectX 7.0a, then Aureal driver 2041 is the way to go.

Reply 14 of 17, by Unrealdevon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So are there any roadblocks using for example a Dell oem quadro fx3000 or is it a straight forward installation?

Reason i ask is because im more or less allergic to stupid oem hardware stuffed to the brink with uneccesary limitations.