VOGONS

GPU to pair with this system?

Topic actions

First post, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm building a top end water cooled retro gaming PC. Something that can play late dos games like duke nukem 3d doom to early/mid 2000's games like UT04, halflife2 and doom3.
I'll likely be using a Athlon XP system with an Abit KG7-raid motherboard and windows 98. 512mb or 1gb ram, maybe a SSD or newer IDE hdds in raid. Sound blaster audigy.

What would you use for an GPU in that kind of setup? I'm thinking a FX5950 ultra and a voodoo1 or 2sli setup.
Thanks.

Last edited by dan86 on 2019-11-14, 16:14. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 3 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you actually want to play all content on high detail, Pentium 4 3.2Ghz or higher is a must. Any video card also won't do, because even GeForce 4 Ti struggles, especially on Onslaught maps.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 24, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

If you actually want to play all content on high detail, Pentium 4 3.2Ghz or higher is a must. Any video card also won't do, because even GeForce 4 Ti struggles, especially on Onslaught maps.

It's okay he can get an Athlon XP 3200+ in that board, that's really beast mode and I don't remember any of those old games needing SSE2/3. And by the time they did require those functions you'd have a multi core cpu by then.

MSI MS-6734 KM3M mobo / Athlon XP 3000+ /512mb ddr1 ram
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI @185mhz / Aureal vortex 2 (dell oem)
3dfx ref. drivers win98se and dual boot with winXP-32 bit running amigasport 3.0 3dfx drivers oc'd with koolsmokey's V.Control in XP

Reply 5 of 24, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:

I feel like UT2k4 is going to be a bit of a stretch with this system also not really a mid2000 game :p

How is UT04 not a mid 2000s game? it came out in 2004.

Last edited by dan86 on 2019-11-14, 16:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 24, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derpmochump wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

It's okay he can get an Athlon XP 3200+ in that board, that's really beast mode and I don't remember any of those old games needing SSE2/3. And by the time they did require those functions you'd have a multi core cpu by then.

Yes my board support batons but only 266mhz bus. The 3200+ would ether be down clocked or will need to run at a higher multi to retch the full speed.
A 2800+ would be in my option the best pick. Its less then 100mhz slower and would be able to drop in and run with nothing more then a bios update.

Last edited by dan86 on 2019-11-14, 16:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 24, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dan86 wrote:
I'm building a top end water cooled retro gaming PC. Something that can play late dos games like duke nukem 3d to early/mid 2000 […]
Show full quote

I'm building a top end water cooled retro gaming PC. Something that can play late dos games like duke nukem 3d to early/mid 2000 games like UT04 and doom3.
I'll likely be using a Athlon XP system with an Abit KG7-raid motherboard and windows 98. 512mb or 1gb ram, maybe a SSD or newer IDE hdds in raid. Sound blaster audigy.

What would you use for an GPU in that kind of setup? I'm thinking a FX5950 ultra and a voodoo1 or 2sli setup.
Thanks.

Dunno I would just use a voodoo 3000 or well i wish i had a voodoo 4500 pci, but I don't 🙁!

3dfx ref. drivers win98se and dual boot with winXP-32 bit running amigasport 3.0 3dfx drivers oc'd with koolsmokey's V.Control in XP

Reply 11 of 24, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dan86 wrote:
imi wrote:

sorry my bad, I interpreted early/mid-2000 as around the first half of 2000 🤣

Is 2004 not in the first half of 2000?

I wouldn't bother with AGP for system to run games up to 2005.
I now use my old computer for retro winXP 32-bit gaming, a phenom ii x4 975 (formerly a sempron 150 in there but i couldn't sell my phenom ii for a good price so i kept it) and hd 6950 with xi-fi fatality soundcard to run all those type of games on maxed out settings.

I would really like a seperate voodoo machine for DOS games also and pre 2000 glide dos games, but good parts for that era and with ISA slots are just impossible to find now and would cost too much! xD
So I gave up there!

I had a voodoo 3000 PCI and luckily I was able to slap my retro PC together with that (spec in sigs) from a £20 auction for the board, cpu and memory and PSU. So good having PCI version, not having to worry about the right AGP slot!

Last edited by derpmochump on 2019-11-14, 16:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 24, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Any video card also won't do, because even GeForce 4 Ti struggles, especially on Onslaught maps.

GeForce 4 Ti is a DX8 card, so technically, it does not meet the system requirements anyway and hence didn't accord to my statement.

However, the CPU should have at least 1 GHz, which should be no issue when using an Athlon XP.

Last edited by derSammler on 2019-11-14, 16:41. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 13 of 24, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:

as in january-june 2000... work is exhausting ^^

sorry... anyways I still think you're going to be a bit short of CPU power for ut2k4

My wording was not the best ether. My language skill are very poor, sorry.
I'm not sure on the CPU. I know back in the day I had a fx5950 ultra P4 on an Ic7-maxx, I think the CPU was running around 4ghz.
I had a 1.4ghz Piii before that, it played UT03 fine from what I recall. Bare in mind I was gaming at 1600x1200 so less of a taxing load on the CPU.

Reply 14 of 24, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derpmochump wrote:
I wouldn't bother with AGP for system to run games up to 2005. I now use my old computer for retro winXP 32-bit gaming, a phenom […]
Show full quote
dan86 wrote:
imi wrote:

sorry my bad, I interpreted early/mid-2000 as around the first half of 2000 🤣

Is 2004 not in the first half of 2000?

I wouldn't bother with AGP for system to run games up to 2005.
I now use my old computer for retro winXP 32-bit gaming, a phenom ii x4 975 (formerly a sempron 150 in there but i couldn't sell my phenom ii for a good price so i kept it) and hd 6950 with xi-fi fatality soundcard to run all those type of games on maxed out settings.

I would really like a seperate voodoo machine for DOS games also and pre 2000 glide dos games, but good parts for that era and with ISA slots are just impossible to find now and would cost too much! xD
So I gave up there!

No room for more then 2 systems or I would as I have a nice 790FX board that is going unused.
I may just sell the KG7 and get something like a IC7, the IC7 can still be used with 98.

Reply 15 of 24, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://ibb.co/NLyhgHM

yeah me neither, i ran out of room so i stacked mine. xD

Reply 16 of 24, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dan86 wrote:

I'm not sure on the CPU. I know back in the day I had a fx5950 ultra P4 on an Ic7-maxx, I think the CPU was running around 4ghz.
I had a 1.4ghz Piii before that, it played UT03 fine from what I recall. Bare in mind I was gaming at 1600x1200 so less of a taxing load on the CPU.

don't worry, you even wrote "2000's" so it should have been clear to me 😀

I mean it can't hurt to try, but framerates are probably not going to be stellar.

unfortunately most benchmarks I can find for ut2k4 or doom3 only start around the athlon64 / pentium4 era

Reply 17 of 24, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote:
don't worry, you even wrote "2000's" so it should have been clear to me :) […]
Show full quote
dan86 wrote:

don't worry, you even wrote "2000's" so it should have been clear to me 😀

I mean it can't hurt to try, but framerates are probably not going to be stellar.

unfortunately most benchmarks I can find for ut2k4 or doom3 only start around the athlon64 / pentium4 era

I added the "2000's after you pointed out the poor choice I words I used.

Reply 18 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

so technically, it does not meet the system requirements

Both UT2k3 and UT2k4 are DirectX 8 games. DirectX 9 library is not required.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 19 of 24, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

so technically, it does not meet the system requirements

Both UT2k3 and UT2k4 are DirectX 8 games. DirectX 9 library is not required.

If I recall there was an OpenGL mode in the game too.