VOGONS

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,

I've got an STB 12MB and Monster 12MB voodoo card in an SLI config and there are a couple things I have questions about. I'm using the Fast Voodoo2 4.6 drivers which allow the using of mismatched brands and the SLI is detected and I can select 1024x768.

The weird thing about this is it runs at exactly the same speed as a single card, no matter what resolution I set it in. It's paired with a P4 3.4 Ghz and an ATI 9800 Pro as the main video board. Does anyone know why I'm seeing the correct resolution increase but no performance increase?

This brings me to my second question. When I run a single card using these drivers it plays nice with my Radeon 9800 pro. When they are in SLI using the same driver the desktop gets scrambled looking after exiting out of a game. I'm wondering if this might just be because I need to reinstall the entire OS and not just plop another card in? Could that be the reason behind the 1st issue as well?

I'd appreciate any experience anyone has with this, thanks.

EDIT: Let me add a better description about the behavior: I get 1,609 or so in 3DMark 2000 with 1 card at 800x600. I get 1,609 at 800x600 with 2 cards in SLI. I get 1,609 at 1024x768 with 2 cards in SLI. I haven't checked a real FPS test with quake 3 but it feels exactly as smooth when I play or watch a recording no matter if 1 or 2 are used, though like I said I can play in 1024x768 so I know the SLI is working for at least ram?

Reply 1 of 12, by Compenstine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not familiar with the set up you are using. Having said that, Voodoo is ATI and is setup as a crossfire, Nvidia is SLI. I'm not sure if there is an issue with SLI on ATI cards but, that may be part of the issue.

Reply 4 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you remember having installed any Glide wrapper such as nGlide before on that machine? Getting always the same score regardless of the number of cards and resolution leads me to believe it could actually be using the Radeon through a wrapper instead of the Voodoos.

Not all games from the 3Dfx era were user-friendly when it came to select the actual 3D accelerator and library (Glide, OpenGL, Direct3D) you wanted to use, and in some cases it all came down to manually copying and overwriting config files and libraries in order to use the Voodoo. I believe Quake 3 is OpenGL (even though it supports 3Dfx), so it may be defaulting to the Radeon.

So my suggestions would be:

- Try some native Glide games where you can select the 3D device/library if you have any (such as Unreal)
- Test the Voodoos with a crappy main card without 3D support (such as an old PCI VGA) to discard the Radeon being the cause of the issue
- Reinstalling the OS is never a bad idea if you suspect driver issues

Compenstine wrote:

I'm not familiar with the set up you are using. Having said that, Voodoo is ATI and is setup as a crossfire, Nvidia is SLI. I'm not sure if there is an issue with SLI on ATI cards but, that may be part of the issue.

Even though it was nVidia that bought 3Dfx assets, the SLI technology used in more modern GPUs is substantially different so there aren't many similarities beyond the general idea of increasing 3D performance with additional cards (even the SLI acronym has a different meaning for nVidia cards).

Reply 5 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nvidia purchased 3DFX and used it's SLI tech in its own cards I believe.

Nvidia SLI has nothing in common with old 3dfx SLI.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MobRules I will try to test as many of those suggestions as I can however I can only select Voodoo and 1024x768 in Quake 3 when both cards are installed. The performance seems to fit that of a single voodoo card not my 9800 running a wrapper and this is on Win98SE, I've never installed a wrapper on this machine.

The 3DMark 2000 test forces you to select the card you are benchmarking and it will only allow 1024x768 when both cards are installed otherwise it only allows 800x600. Those are where I got the benchmark numbers from, it seems unlikely its using the radeon there which is also much faster.

Serpent Rider:

You are correct, I looked it up and though 3dfx was bought by NVidia they never used the SLI tech.

Reply 7 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I'm doing some benchmarking again and seeing there are some differences with 2 enabled but it still doesn't seem to scale at all the way Phil's videos do. I'll check more and report back when I have more data.

Reply 8 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, with such a powerful CPU I believe you should be seeing a considerable performance increase with SLI vs single card (at least for 800x600 and lower, 1024x768 I think stops scaling at fairly low CPU speeds).

I don't use FastVoodoo myself since I have a matching SLI set, so I don't know about its potential issues. But another thing you can try is to test each Voodoo separately with the official 3Dfx drivers and see what kind of performance you get there. That way you can also rule out FastVoodoo issues or malfunctions on one of the cards.

Reply 9 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the difference between SLI and a single card is like 3FPS, so almost within the margin for error. I'm not sure what is going on with this but its going to take more investigation.

I just ran quake with only the standard VGA drivers installed for the 9800Pro and got the same results. The problem with the display getting corrupted after using the voodoo cards to play a GL game only occurs when the catalyst drivers are installed. Seems like a conflict there but not the conflict that is causing no SLI scaling.

Going to just run the Diamond Card individually with its official drivers and do some testing.

Reply 10 of 12, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

something is definitely going on with your setup.

just happened to be troubleshooting my voodoo2 rig so i ran these benchmarks for your comparison.

benchmark default settings. 90mhz clock on voodoo2. fast voodoo 2.4.6

800x600 settings

800.600.settings.jpg
Filename
800.600.settings.jpg
File size
55.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

800x600 results

800.600.jpg
Filename
800.600.jpg
File size
41.13 KiB
Views
File license

1024x798 settings

1024.768.settings.jpg
Filename
1024.768.settings.jpg
File size
56.96 KiB
Views
File license

1024x768 results

1024.768.jpg
Filename
1024.768.jpg
File size
41.24 KiB
Views
File license

not sure if related but, i was having all kinds of lockups and crashes whenever i used my voodoo cards. turned out to be a defective adaptec 4 port usb 2.0 card. once i removed that, everything ran perfect again.

Reply 11 of 12, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

V-sync on maybe? 1024x768 is almost twice the amount of pixels but it should still be faster compared to a single card at 800x600. Did you try 800x600 on the sli setup? How does that scale?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 12 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Theres no notable scaling at any resolution. It scores the same in the benchmark regardless of SLI or single or resolution.

I also don't think its sync because 3dMark doesn't come close to 60 FPS while Quake III will routinely go up to 90+ FPS. However no FPS increase in SLI.

So 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768 all score the same with or without SLI.

I can't figure it out, I'm going to try and find a matching card I guess and see if its just a problem with the FastVoodoo drivers. Don't know when I'll source this but thanks for all the suggestions, I will update when I get more info.