VOGONS

First post, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I'm going through my GPUs to label them and arrived at my Voodoo 3 PCI, it is a STB 210-0366-001 so I'm trying to find out if it is a 2000 or 3000 as they have the same model number so I can label it correctly... so I start searching around how to spot the difference, I guess it is a 3000 because of the bigger bare aluminium heatsink, but first I read about memory speeds, and my card has 183Mhz memory (HY57V161610DTC-55) which only the Voodoo 3 3500 runs at?

I read that the 183Mhz memory was expensive and sparse, so why would they use it on a usually lower clocked model?

looking around on google I found other PCI and AGP cards with 5.5ns memory.
...guess I'll have to test it out after all.

will any Voodoo 3 3000 chip do 183Mhz?

Reply 2 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, but that is also an AGP card ^^, though the PCB looks eerily similar apart from the VRM and... well mine being PCI
I wonder how they can use the same layout for both.
will post a highres picture of mine tomorrow.

Last edited by imi on 2019-11-28, 01:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

is it this?
proto_v3_pci_dvi.jpg

if its that the site says
"An interesting board dated 15-99- What looks like a V3-3000 isn't but a engineering sample V3-3500! I made some inquiries after obtaining the card in a package deal. Looking close I was mildly surprised to see -5.5 ram instead of -6 ram. Installing the board it booted up and is clocked at 183 mhz! Looking at the bios it is NOT a V3-3500 TV bios. Contacting an ex-3dfx engineer he indicated that 3dfx did indeed investigate the possibility of selling a 183 mhz board based on the 2000/3000 PCB. The problem is there was a error in the design of the power ground plane of the PCB and the PCB as supplied was of poor quality. 3dfx could not guarantee proper stable function of a 183 mhz board using this PCB so this configuration never saw the light of day in the retail market..."
Source
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/pro_v3.htm

Reply 6 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this is my card:

voodoo3.jpg
Filename
voodoo3.jpg
File size
390.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(ofc I noticed the bent pin after editing 🤣)

same bios as the one I linked.
I'll try to get around to test it over the weekend 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

it's the same PCB but without the DVI part (that is a weird DVI connector btw)

Looks like a DFP (Digital Flat Panel) connector. Predecessor of DVI, Compaq was known to use it in their systems.

YouTube

Reply 9 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two V3 3k PCI with SGRAM, both have 5.5ns memory. One is working and can run at 183MHz no problem, the other has a cold solder joint underneath the chip but I'm very confident once I get around to fixing it it'll reach 183MHz easily since all my AGP V3 3k with 6ns memory do.
IIRC originally the V3 3k was supposed to run at 183MHz but yields weren't good enough so they reduced the frequency to 166MHz while upping the 2k from 125MHz to 143MHz. With later chips they seem to have had it right so most if not all late cores will run at 183MHz with only RAM holding them back. RAM prices came down in 2000 as well so 3Dfx probably decided to give the 3k more value by adding faster RAM, making it a better overclocker. That's just a guess though.

Anyway, with the fast memory you can try "overclocking" it through software (i.e. make the parts run at specified speeds 😁). Add a fan and think about modding the VGA BIOS to have it permanently run at 183MHz. 😁

Reply 10 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2019-11-28, 10:48:

I have two V3 3k PCI with SGRAM, both have 5.5ns memory. One is working and can run at 183MHz no problem, the other has a cold solder joint underneath the chip but I'm very confident once I get around to fixing it it'll reach 183MHz easily since all my AGP V3 3k with 6ns memory do.
IIRC originally the V3 3k was supposed to run at 183MHz but yields weren't good enough so they reduced the frequency to 166MHz while upping the 2k from 125MHz to 143MHz. With later chips they seem to have had it right so most if not all late cores will run at 183MHz with only RAM holding them back. RAM prices came down in 2000 as well so 3Dfx probably decided to give the 3k more value by adding faster RAM, making it a better overclocker. That's just a guess though.

Anyway, with the fast memory you can try "overclocking" it through software (i.e. make the parts run at specified speeds 😁). Add a fan and think about modding the VGA BIOS to have it permanently run at 183MHz. 😁

I happen to stumble across this by googling some of my own cards and was wondering whether or not you managed to fix the cold solder joint? 😀
And I definitely noticed some of my Voodoo 3 cards having faster memory then they 'should' have gotten.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2020-06-21, 12:46:
Doornkaat wrote on 2019-11-28, 10:48:

I happen to stumble across this by googling some of my own cards and was wondering whether or not you managed to fix the cold solder joint? 😀
And I definitely noticed some of my Voodoo 3 cards having faster memory then they 'should' have gotten.

Haven't been logged on for a while, sorry for the late reply. I haven't tried to reflow the card yet, sorry. I've got a lot to do atm and no real need for the card so the repair attempt is probably not going to be anytime soon.
Since the V3 doesn't have any components on the back side it's probably the easiest adding flux gel next to the chip (so it'll flow underneath the chip) and blasting the backside with hot air from a hot air gun until you see the solder on the topside melt, then reduce heat and have the card cool off. Make sure the card is perfectly level and will not move at all during the process.
That's at least what I'll do in lieu of a professional reworking solution. If anyone has objections or a better budget idea, let me know! 🙂👍