VOGONS

First post, by DreyMIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
long ago I bought on ebay, a device called "Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus". But I can't get it to work.

I took a VGA cable and connected the respective ends, one to the VGA output of the old PC and the other to the VGA input of the Gefen.
On Amazon I purchased an adapter from DVI (24+1) to HDMI, at the following link:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00ZMVGTA2/

I took an HDMI cable, which I connected to the input from my modern PC capture card (Elgato HD60 Pro). While on the other side I connected it to the DVI (24 + 1) / HDMI adapter and finally connected to the Gefen output (DVI). The fact is that the Gefen has the DVI port at 24+5 (I don't know if it's a problem, the fact that it didn't work for me ...).

I then connected the power adapter to the Gefen and turned it on. The LED light was on.

On the other PC, I started Game Capture HD. I tried all the possible and imaginable settings, but there was nothing to do. It gave me no signal that it was connected, not even that the incoming resolution was wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Thx!

Reply 1 of 9, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

have you tried resetting the device ?

1. Hold down the MENU button and remove the power supply.
Note: The MENU button does not work without the source plugged in.
2. Wait three seconds and plug the power supply into the unit.
3. Once unit is powered on, let go of the MENU button.
4. After three seconds, the scaler will reset to the displays native resolution.

Reply 2 of 9, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My experience with Geffen products is, you're better off without them.

I bought the Scaler box years ago to convert component video (using a physical adapter from RCA to HDB-15) to DVI for a PC projector. I was unimpressed by the image quality compared to just using the projector to do the conversion itself. It has been collecting dust in a drawer ever since. Today, I use a StarTech composite / S-Video / Component / RGB to VGA converter to test video sources on my workbench through a 4:3 Dell LCD. They also have an HDMI version. It was cheap, and it works well enough.

For high quality video conversion, pick up an OSSC. It will do PC VGA to HDMI with excellent fidelity. (Also very useful for 240p game consoles, or really old computers that use 15kHz RGB.) I use one to connect my VGA retro PCs to an HDMI KVM, then to an HDMI matrix, then to my TV, main computer monitor, workbench, etc.

BTW, I had some Geffen DVI over CAT-5 extenders. Total junk. Never worked. I sent them in for repair, and got back a totally different unit with some components on the board that were burnt to a crisp. I sent pictures back to support, and they just shrugged it off with "worked fine when we sent it to you." Sure it did.

Reply 3 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Resetting the device like dries_86 suggested is a good idea.
Have you also tried connecting the scaler to a regular monitor? Maybe you have to set a specific output resolution like 1920x1080 via OSD first before you can use your specific capture card with it.

Reply 4 of 9, by DreyMIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx. I try the suggestion of Dries_86
I can't tell if it's resetting or not. I pressed the menu button, then I unplugged it and waited about 3 seconds (even a little more). I hung up (do I have to keep pressing the menu button?), But how do you know that you're resetting?

Doornkaat wrote:

Resetting the device like dries_86 suggested is a good idea.
Have you also tried connecting the scaler to a regular monitor? Maybe you have to set a specific output resolution like 1920x1080 via OSD first before you can use your specific capture card with it.

I tried to attach it to a 16:9 TV, sometimes it appears and sometimes the image disappears (I don't understand what it depends on). The times it appears, the resolution is set to 1024x768, other times it is set to 1004x768. If I access the menu I see everything strange. Then after that the image disappears forever, unless I disconnect the socket and hang it up. I show what I see:

VGA splitter cable from the Pentium 3
vwPHFG.th.jpg

Connected to the Gefen VGA input
vwP1WZ.th.jpg

HDMI cable with conversion to DVI (24 + 1). The Gefen has instead a 24 + 5 pin DVI connection (Does it affect something?)
vwPL7t.th.jpg

This is what you see on TV. There is some glich in the center of the image. (on TV I set the proportion to 4:3)
vwPEyw.th.jpg

If I open the menu, this happens
vwPFdy.th.jpg

After a while the image disappears. And the TV tells me there is no signal!

SirNickity wrote:
My experience with Geffen products is, you're better off without them. […]
Show full quote

My experience with Geffen products is, you're better off without them.

I bought the Scaler box years ago to convert component video (using a physical adapter from RCA to HDB-15) to DVI for a PC projector. I was unimpressed by the image quality compared to just using the projector to do the conversion itself. It has been collecting dust in a drawer ever since. Today, I use a StarTech composite / S-Video / Component / RGB to VGA converter to test video sources on my workbench through a 4:3 Dell LCD. They also have an HDMI version. It was cheap, and it works well enough.

For high quality video conversion, pick up an OSSC. It will do PC VGA to HDMI with excellent fidelity. (Also very useful for 240p game consoles, or really old computers that use 15kHz RGB.) I use one to connect my VGA retro PCs to an HDMI KVM, then to an HDMI matrix, then to my TV, main computer monitor, workbench, etc.

BTW, I had some Geffen DVI over CAT-5 extenders. Total junk. Never worked. I sent them in for repair, and got back a totally different unit with some components on the board that were burnt to a crisp. I sent pictures back to support, and they just shrugged it off with "worked fine when we sent it to you." Sure it did.

Thx SirNickity. Now I see if I can solve with the Gefen. In case you could tell me exactly what I need to buy to make it work with the solution you found? Thx !!!

Reply 5 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DreyMIX wrote:
If I open the menu, this happens https://b.imge.to/2019/12/07/vwPFdy.th.jpg […]
Show full quote

vwPFdy.th.jpg

If the menu is that messed up I think it's safe to say your device has some kind of damage.
You can try opening it up and looking for obvious damage but I suspect a chip is broken.
If you open it up feel free to post pictures of the PCB (front and back) here. Maybe somebody else can spot the problem.
Also what power supply do you use? Does it deliver stable voltage?

I have the same device and I used it to connect my retro PCs to my older monitor that had a terrible built in scaler. I bought it used for 25€ and for that I was pretty happy with it. Maybe I just got lucky with mine? I think the case also had a different design so maybe it is a different revision?
It's in storage now since my new monitor handles scaling well out of the box so I can't say for sure.

Reply 6 of 9, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have similar DVI to HDMI convertor 24+1 (from Aliexpress) and it's working fine here (in combination with Elgato Game Capture HD). Just to rule things out have you tried to eliminate the VGA splitter ?

Reply 7 of 9, by DreyMIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote:
If the menu is that messed up I think it's safe to say your device has some kind of damage. You can try opening it up and lookin […]
Show full quote
DreyMIX wrote:
If I open the menu, this happens https://b.imge.to/2019/12/07/vwPFdy.th.jpg […]
Show full quote

vwPFdy.th.jpg

If the menu is that messed up I think it's safe to say your device has some kind of damage.
You can try opening it up and looking for obvious damage but I suspect a chip is broken.
If you open it up feel free to post pictures of the PCB (front and back) here. Maybe somebody else can spot the problem.
Also what power supply do you use? Does it deliver stable voltage?

I have the same device and I used it to connect my retro PCs to my older monitor that had a terrible built in scaler. I bought it used for 25€ and for that I was pretty happy with it. Maybe I just got lucky with mine? I think the case also had a different design so maybe it is a different revision?
It's in storage now since my new monitor handles scaling well out of the box so I can't say for sure.

For the power supply, I'm just saying that I used a multi-voltage power supply. Setting it to 5V. Now I see if my father understands something about it. If I open it, I wouldn't know what to look for! eheh 😁

dries_86 wrote:

I have similar DVI to HDMI convertor 24+1 (from Aliexpress) and it's working fine here (in combination with Elgato Game Capture HD). Just to rule things out have you tried to eliminate the VGA splitter ?

I tried it without splitter, but without success.