VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking for a recommendation on a good cooler or cooler / fan to put on one of my Ti4600 cards as I just dont like the Cooler and Fan that comes with it...I'm sure it works fine, but I want something that looks better!

Reply 1 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote:

Looking for a recommendation on a good cooler or cooler / fan to put on one of my Ti4600 cards as I just dont like the Cooler and Fan that comes with it...I'm sure it works fine, but I want something that looks better!

Using Zalman VF900Cu with my GF4 series cards, picked up a couple of NIB ones for peanuts a few years ago. Great cooler, very silent for its time.

Also have a look at the VF1000, it's got a very distinctive look you might like, and not that it's needed, but it's even more effective than the VF900 😀

Both models could probably be ran passively with a Ti4600 in a well ventilated case too.

Reply 5 of 10, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a Thermaltake A1349 for my GeForce4 Ti 4600. It's the same size and shape as most GeForce4 Ti stock coolers, but the pure copper construction allows for better heat dissipation. Installation was easy, and the noise level is acceptable (certainly not silent, though). The same card artifacted under load with a cheap Chinese aluminum cooler, so effective cooling appears to be important for these cards.

The Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 1 is probably the best (most effective and quietest) cooler for the GeForce4 Ti series, but finding one nowadays will not be easy. I've had an eBay search alert for "NV silencer" for many years, and I believe I have only ever seen one GeForce4 Ti with a NV Silencer attached. No bare coolers have come up for sale in that time, as far as I know.

PCGames9505

Reply 6 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 1 is probably the best (most effective and quietest) cooler for the GeForce4 Ti series

Hardly. Zalman ZM80D-HP would be much better. Not to mention Zalman VF700-CU or Zalman VF900-CU.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 10, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GeForce 4Ti series can get pretty warm, actually. I didn't like the heat output on my ZM80D-HP without a fan on it.

So I also got the ZM-OP1 fan that can be run on a low speed. It sits on the side of the card and is very quiet.
Which means I can also cool down my Voodoo 2 with it and although I don't have a completely passive system, it beats having one of these small annoying noisemakers on the card itself. 😀

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 9 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I jury rigged a socket a cooler to a ti 4200, it kept it quite cold.

But a vf-700 can cool an 8800gt or 5800ultra so its plenty for any gf4

Reply 10 of 10, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I drilled a noctua fan into the heatsink of my 4800se card, but I'm not sure how necessary that was since I can't monitor the temperature internally. The case I'm using does have a side intake, so I'm wondering if I could've just mounted a fan there instead of modding the heatsink with one. The fan is a bit bulky, so it would be nice to keep a slim profile, but I'm not planning on adding any more PCI cards. I know the 4800se is a 4400, but I'm not sure if those run any cooler than a 4600.