VOGONS

First post, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone,

I'm sort of new here. I have been reading a lot of posts here for quite some time now. And found a lot of answers to my retro stuff. Thanks for that!

But since I'm stuck at some stuff I decided to create an account and post some questions myself. Here comes the first one.

Some time ago I bought a box of "old computer stuff" without knowing a lot of the contents. Among this stuff was a VLB graphics card based on the S3 928. It looks like it has 2MB of memory, some strange looking connector on the board I don't remember to ever came across and it lacks any standard output.

It looks like it was made for something custom made.

Could you help me identify it?
Is it useful in any VLB based computer? (I own 4 486 based computers with VLB support)
If so, how do I use it?

Attachments

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 1 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's just a connector for a custom vram upgrade module, this card can address 4MB in total so the extra 2 are on a pcb that uses that connector

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That came to my mind along with the idea it might be too connect a monitor or something.

So... Can this card be useful? Since it lacks a VGA connector?

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 3 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh I did not notice that... then that connector could also be used to carry the video signal
no way one can know for sure though...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 11, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea what kind of graphics card that shall be.
There is digital TM what is right of it? I can't read it.
Something written on the back? Serial number?

The only thing that comes to mind is the following:
This was the second part of a "dual slot graphics card"
The other slot was either Vesa Local Bus or ISA and had the VGA output connector.
So then the "strange connector" was used to connect to the first card.

But just guessing.

Last edited by CoffeeOne on 2020-01-06, 22:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed it is the logo from Digital Equipment Corp.

The back does have some numbers written, but searching them did not give me any results. See attached image.

Attachments

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 6 of 11, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Be carefull and aware....
Caps and other SMD components missing and halfway ripped off: R226, R12, C328 and more.... Pins on the S3-928 chip it self are bent.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2020-01-06, 22:59:

Be carefull and aware....
Caps and other SMD components missing and halfway ripped off: R226, R12, C328 and more.... Pins on the S3-928 chip it self are bent.

Whut? Why didn't I notice that earlier? Good thing I didn't just pop it into my 486.
So... basically this card is not usable for me.
I'm not going to repair it. I'm not afraid of the soldering iron but my skills aren't that good.

So this makes the card a collector's item I guess... Since it seems quite rare.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 8 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really a collector's item, since it's unusable and might not even work if you find the original VGA connector.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too bad... Guess I'll stick with the TGUI9420 then 😀

Maybe the memory modules are any good for other graphics cards, so I can rip them off then. I know my IBM Valuepoint has two empty sockets on the motherboard, not sure yet if these would do.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 10 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The memory chips are 265Kx8 VRAMs, so the card has 1 MB. If you can not get the card working and want to reuse the memory chips, be aware that you can not use VRAMs for EDO DRAM chipsets. Might work for S3 964/968 or Weitek P9100.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember my IBM has a high end S3 vision x64 onboard but have to check what kind it is... Might be the 864 as well, which would make these chips useless for that computer.

Stuck at 10MHz...