VOGONS

First post, by ShadowofBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP card in a broken state where only the fans would run and no POST/video output in hopes that it would be an easy-ish fix. I received it and on initial examination I noticed that it was missing C540 capacitor which was ripped off the board along with the pads. Thankfully the vias and traces were very close so I was able to repair and replace this with a 100nf (hoping that is close to original spec as C540 value is not present online) as well as changed all the SMD electrolytic caps on the front of the board. Despite this I still can't get the card to be recognized in my motherboard (a VIA KM266 based Shuttle SK41G w/ 300w PSU, AGP is set to 2X). Only the fans will power up, the same as it was acting originally. I examined the board and can't really see anything else glaringly wrong outside of some sort of minor corrosion of C548 and C554 on the back of the card and U4, R37, C33, R38, and R39 on the front. There is still continuity between the components and test points/vias however so I don't think those are the root of the issue.

Looking for advice on common failure items and/or areas to troubleshoot first. Will add in some high resolution images of the card this evening.

I have already verified the AGP slot of the motherboard is good with other graphics cards and have seen others use the board/chipset with a 5500 so I don't think that is contributing to the issue.

Reply 3 of 12, by ShadowofBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-01-18, 03:32:

I'd take a good look at the gpu's and the ram chips for any bent and touching legs.

I did a pretty close look and didn't see anything of note on the RAM or other chips w/ visible legs. The only chip that looks off is the already mentioned corroded legs on U4.

Reply 4 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are a few suggestions to try without measuring equipment:
Does the PC beep/complain about not having a graphics card installed when starting with only the Voodoo installed?
Try starting the PC with the Voodoo in it plus a PCI video card as primary display adaptor.
See wether the Voodoo is recognised in OS.
Try flashing the video BIOS and see wether the card is recognised by the flash tool.

Reply 6 of 12, by ShadowofBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-01-18, 10:45:
Here are a few suggestions to try without measuring equipment: Does the PC beep/complain about not having a graphics card instal […]
Show full quote

Here are a few suggestions to try without measuring equipment:
Does the PC beep/complain about not having a graphics card installed when starting with only the Voodoo installed?
Try starting the PC with the Voodoo in it plus a PCI video card as primary display adaptor.
See wether the Voodoo is recognised in OS.
Try flashing the video BIOS and see wether the card is recognised by the flash tool.

The SK41G this was to go in doesn't have a speaker so hard to tell if it has post beeps. It defaults to the onboard video if there is no AGP card found and I don't have a spare PCI video card anymore unfortunately to test recognition in the OS.

aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-01-18, 13:18:

Have you checked if there is a short to ground on various components?

I've poked around and bit with my multimeter, but haven't located any shorts yet. I have verified ground and + on all the replaced caps. Also checked voltages resistor values as mentioned in this thread. Voodoo 5 5500 AGP freezes PC
Nothing seems out of spec compared to the good one.

Wish there was some well known set of tests to isolate the problematic area so I knew where to focus more on.

Reply 7 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShadowofBob wrote on 2020-01-19, 00:40:

The SK41G this was to go in doesn't have a speaker so hard to tell if it has post beeps. It defaults to the onboard video if there is no AGP card found and I don't have a spare PCI video card anymore unfortunately to test recognition in the OS.

Remote troubleshooting with very little parts and equipment is tricky. 😒
More ideas:
First reset the CMOS in the board and replace the battery. Then start the MoBo with no addon cards and restore all defaults in BIOS.
In BIOS > Advanced Chipset Features > AGP & P2P Bridge Control > AGP Mode choose "1x".
In BIOS > Integrated Peripherals > Init Display First choose "AGP".
Save changes, Install the Voodoo and start the system.

Reply 8 of 12, by ShadowofBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-01-19, 08:12:
Remote troubleshooting with very little parts and equipment is tricky. :/ More ideas: First reset the CMOS in the board and repl […]
Show full quote
ShadowofBob wrote on 2020-01-19, 00:40:

Remote troubleshooting with very little parts and equipment is tricky. 😒
More ideas:
First reset the CMOS in the board and replace the battery. Then start the MoBo with no addon cards and restore all defaults in BIOS.
In BIOS > Advanced Chipset Features > AGP & P2P Bridge Control > AGP Mode choose "1x".
In BIOS > Integrated Peripherals > Init Display First choose "AGP".
Save changes, Install the Voodoo and start the system.

Thanks, already tried the above before posting this issue. Have tried both 1x and 2x modes. AGP has always been set to initialize first. I guess I'll see if I can track down a PCI card locally or grab one off ebay.

Reply 9 of 12, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try this Voodoo 5 5500 AGP Compatibility Problem

He put the card in an alcohol bath after recapping it. Suppose you can try giving it a bath? What I would try first is what Doornkaat says though, see if it gets detected by the 3dfx flash utility. Can't you use onboard video and then launch the flash utility with the v5 in? I think you can also dump the bios of the card, see if it gives any issues. Otherwise try to flash it to the latest 1.18 version (get the "modified 1.18" one, that one has safer ram timings iirc).

I think this is U4 btw: TPS3801J25DCKRG4
If you search the internet for that you'll find it, maybe it'll help you later to narrow down the issue.

Maybe check near c540 for scratches? After alcohol cleaning it it'll be much easier to see stuff as well.

Reply 10 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Justin1091 wrote on 2020-01-26, 21:08:

What I would try first is what Doornkaat says though, see if it gets detected by the 3dfx flash utility. Can't you use onboard video and then launch the flash utility with the v5 in? I think you can also dump the bios of the card, see if it gives any issues. Otherwise try to flash it to the latest 1.18 version (get the "modified 1.18" one, that one has safer ram timings iirc).

I'm not 100% on this but I believe the onboard graphics integrated into the chipset use the AGP interface on this board. If this is true the AGP port will probably be disabled when using the onboard graphics solution so the card won't be detected.
I'd try flashing the card on a different motherboard with a PCI video card but since ShadowofBob said he doesn't have either that's probably not an option.

Btw I'm not saying not to try this but to keep in mind it might produce a false negative.

Reply 11 of 12, by ShadowofBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

​I actually got it to post tonight! I looked a little more closely at an area that had surface corrosion and tested the via to pad for R38 and realized the trace had somehow been corroded off the top side of the via so it wasn't making a connection. I filled the via w/ solder from the other side of the board and jumped to the pad of R38 and my WinXP test machine found the card right away and it outputted fine! Will be testing some games in Win 98 now then deal with these squeaky fans.

I actually had to totally resolder U4 earlier as well as 2 of the 5 legs had broken solder joints from the corrosion as well. I guess that whole area had issues. I also got a PCI card earlier this week but it wasn't able to find the Voodoo 5 at all for flashing due to the above issue.