VOGONS

First post, by Guybrush3pwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know Voodoo 1 is a natural choice, but lets say for the moment that I don't want to spend $100 on a video card, what's the best video setup for a system from 1996 with a 133mhz Pentium processor running Windows 95? I've got PCI and ISA slots to work with. Thanks!

Reply 4 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to be strict about the year, then your options are:
ATI Rage II
Matrox Mystique
Tseng ET6000

Riva128 is from 1997.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 20, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo 1 & 2 require a primary video board is what he was saying. So by saying "A voodoo 1 is an obvious choice" you haven't specified what video card you are going to use because a voodoo 1 and 2 do not work without a primary video card. Just making sure this is clear. I wouldn't want to see anyone spend that money and think the card is broken.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any 3d acceleration for a 133Mhz system. Pick any decent PCI card like an S3 or a Diamond Stealth and you should be good.

Reply 6 of 20, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A 133 Mhz Pentium system would be best paired with a 2D card of the same irk/era. Trio64V+ would be a good fit, as well as the aforementioned Rage II, Mystique and Tseng. A 3D accelerator in the veins of Voodoo1 is feasible, albeit highly optional. If you want 3D acceleration, then go for it, but your machine is thoroughly at home in the software rendering department, in the times before 3D acceleration took off, spec- and era-wise.

Reply 8 of 20, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-01-18, 21:40:

there's always the dookie old s3 virge

it's a meme card for 3d but it does just fine in DOS

That is because it is a Trio64V+ (with weird 3D, which looks and feels - although nice to experience - basically like alpha Direct3D (missing stuff and very low FPS))

"It's 3D aight, but not...... accelerated."

Reply 11 of 20, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-01-18, 21:29:
If you want to be strict about the year, then your options are: ATI Rage II Matrox Mystique Tseng ET6000 […]
Show full quote

If you want to be strict about the year, then your options are:
ATI Rage II
Matrox Mystique
Tseng ET6000

Riva128 is from 1997.

Doesn't Ati Rage Pro Turbo also fit "under-1997"?

I'm running that on my P225MMX. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 12 of 20, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rendition Vérité V100o would be a 1996 option as well but those are as tough to find and cost as much as Voodoo 1’s.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 13 of 20, by Guybrush3pwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-01-18, 21:34:

Voodoo 1 & 2 require a primary video board is what he was saying. So by saying "A voodoo 1 is an obvious choice" you haven't specified what video card you are going to use because a voodoo 1 and 2 do not work without a primary video card. Just making sure this is clear. I wouldn't want to see anyone spend that money and think the card is broken.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any 3d acceleration for a 133Mhz system. Pick any decent PCI card like an S3 or a Diamond Stealth and you should be good.

No worries. I do understand the difference, I was just asking for something other than the usual Voodoo 1 + random PCI video card combo you see suggested a lot.

Funnily enough, I ended up going for a Voodoo 1 + Matrox Millennium combo anyway, but I appreciate everyone helping me explore alternative options anyway!

Also, for everyone who suggested Trio64V+. The system actually has that onboard!

Reply 14 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Trio has fewer compatibility issues (at least in DOS) than the Millennium. But the Millenium is a great Win9x card. Enjoy!

Reply 15 of 20, by Guybrush3pwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote on 2020-01-25, 23:15:

The Trio has fewer compatibility issues (at least in DOS) than the Millennium. But the Millenium is a great Win9x card. Enjoy!

Yeah? What would you do? Just install the voodoo and go through the onboard video or use the separate Matrox card?

Reply 16 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Guybrush3pwood wrote on 2020-01-25, 23:59:

Yeah? What would you do? Just install the voodoo and go through the onboard video or use the separate Matrox card?

Depends. If you're doing more in Win9x, go with the Matrox. If you're mostly in DOS, go with the onboard S3.

Reply 17 of 20, by Guybrush3pwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote on 2020-01-26, 00:03:
Guybrush3pwood wrote on 2020-01-25, 23:59:

Depends. If you're doing more in Win9x, go with the Matrox. If you're mostly in DOS, go with the onboard S3.

Sounds like a plan, thanks!

Reply 19 of 20, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well shoot I was going to say you could go with the forgotten nv1 from Nvidia

It's barely useful.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.