VOGONS

First post, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everybody, I come today for some advice on the video portion of my Win95 build. CRT Display and all original hardware of the period.

Pentium 2 400MHZ processor with a fresh install of Win95 OSR 2 - The mainboard offers multiple ISA and PCI slots. AWE 64 taking one ISA Slot. I have just acquired an ISA TSENG ET4000 W32i 2MB and believe that this will be a great 2D card and am thinking that when paired with a Diamond Monster 3dfx Voodoo 1 to handle the 3D things that I will have a nice solution.

I have been told

... really shines under DOS. For Win9x especially paired with a Voodoo, I would recommend an S3 Virge, Matrox Millennium or some early 2D/3D solutions like Riva128, Ati 3DRage.

I want this build to be faithful to the period- and well suited for gameplay- the W32i was a 1994/1995 release and the Voodoo as I recall was 1997 - these dates perfectly reflect what I am shooting for. A Win95 build created mostly for gaming purposes- Doom, Command and Conquer, Warcraft, Descent, etc.

Am I making a good decision with this pairing? I "think" I am, but am I overlooking something? Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I want to get it right as this build will be with me for a while!

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 1 of 8, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo 1 was released in 1996 and voodoo 2 in 1998. Warcraft will probably run too fast on a pentium 2 and pentium 2 400Mhz wasn't released before 1998. Voodoo 1 will work fine, but I would probably go for a better video card. Perhaps Riva TNT would be a good period correct choice for such Pentium 2.

Reply 2 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't the speed of the game be adjusted in Warcraft?

Yep, you can.

- 9. MAKING YOUR SYSTEM RUN FASTER --------------------------------------------------------------------- Adjust the speed using […]
Show full quote

- 9. MAKING YOUR SYSTEM RUN FASTER
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Adjust the speed using the Options Dialog or the + or - keys.

The EMM 386 memory manager (EMM386.EXE) slows the game speed of Warcraft
considerably. Use HIMEM.SYS only (without EMM386), or another memory
manager like QEMM or 386MAX to increase game speed. Refer to your
DOS manual to change your memory configuration. Also, please refer to
the notes regarding EMM386.EXE in the TROUBLESHOOTING section.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-23, 15:42:

Can't the speed of the game be adjusted in Warcraft?

Yep, you can.

Game speed isn't much of problem on fast CPUs. Screen scrolling speed is. You can adjust that too, but it doesn't help much when you get to around 500 MHz. WarCraft 2 suffers from the same issue, though it's a bit less pronounced.

On topic, not sure if your motherboard has AGP and USB, but if it does, you want Windows 98SE. Support for those is much more limited in Win95 OSR 2.5.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 8, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’d save the isa vga / voodoo combo for a super 486.

A Pentium2 could use a much faster gpu and that would give it access to a much larger selection of games. Pretty sure a Pentium2 can get playable FPS on Quake3 with a Geforce2 MX.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 6 of 8, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Binary, thanks for the response!

I have a 486dx2 66 with Windows for workgroups running on it. I "could" bump that to a dx2 100 and still be able to slow it down with turbo function for older DOS games. Thinking Perfect General 2, or even Railroad Tycoon.

I too had thought to use the voodoo card there, but I ran into issues finding drivers for 3.1 - seems like they didn't support anything earlier than 95. DOS support?

Do you think the combination that I mentioned would be a good one for the p2 400 Win 95 machine? Or have any specific recommendations that would suit it better?

1992-1997 is the sweet spot for what I will be using it for. Many DOS games at the time were still basic 2D when 3dfx showed and changed everything.

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 7 of 8, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-02-23, 16:27:

You can't go wrong with a Voodoo 😉

Yeah, I have a soft spot for them!

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 8 of 8, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided that I would just go with a single card solution and the Diamond Speedstar 64 (ISA) carrying the Cirrus Logic 5429 chip. This should do well for the 486 66 machine.

The Voodoo one, or maybe a two... since the 95 machine is powered with a 400mhz p3.... will be running with a Cirrus Logic PCI card carrying the 5446 chip version which Phil likes.

I am sure that there are faster solutions but my primary care is rock solid 2d performance in DOS and that does exclude some of those faster options.

Thanks for the advice and as always, thanks Phil.

-- Regards, Joe