VOGONS

First post, by Perplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I’m just hoping for the best and not facing reality. I had the card in a p3 system whose psu (and replacement) started spitting out smoke. I thought just old caps.

Anyway I just got a new p2 on a 440lx motherboard and I now get artifacts. The card does it’s voodoo3 initial pre post-post (if that’s makes sense) without artifacts and other select text on black screen works fine.

I guess some ram has been fried on the gpubut I’m half hoping it’s actually an issue with the motherboard.

Without further ado - I welcome any visual diagnostics. Is this voodoo3 toast or is there hope?

Cheers

1211CE75-960A-4FEE-8993-8F463D29C7FE.jpeg
Filename
1211CE75-960A-4FEE-8993-8F463D29C7FE.jpeg
File size
223.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I have an awe64 gold that was in the same system I’m scared to test - will be sad if that’s been fried too 🙁:(

Reply 2 of 9, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Perplex wrote on 2020-03-20, 14:10:

I guess from the numerous comments I’ll assume dead - it’s going in the bin 😀

Not dead, but defective. A memory chip has probably failed. If it has and you can identify/replace, it should work again. With current prices, it's worth it, IMO.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 4 of 9, by Perplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fitzpatr wrote on 2020-03-20, 14:13:
Perplex wrote on 2020-03-20, 14:10:

I guess from the numerous comments I’ll assume dead - it’s going in the bin 😀

Not dead, but defective. A memory chip has probably failed. If it has and you can identify/replace, it should work again. With current prices, it's worth it, IMO.

I will do my own research on how to test and identify which chip. However - Any advice to help short cut the process is welcome

Reply 5 of 9, by Perplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-03-20, 18:00:

Never throw a 3dfx card in the bin or I call the police!

Haha no I wouldn’t don’t worry - If I cant fix it ill give it away or keep hold of it for someone the fix in the future

Reply 6 of 9, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You still can use it with a BB Gun.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 9, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think if your card got flexed when moving it from one PC to another or when changing a heatsink, that could be causing what you're seeing.

I've got something similar, I had a working Voodoo 3 3000 that become not-working when I fitted a bigger heatsink to it. I heard a small *tink* sound when screwing down the heatsink and the card now just shows artifacts on startup. It's probably fixable if we can work out a safe temperature to cook the card at to reflow the leaded solder on the BGA chip. Other people have had a go at it previously and I recall them saying it just melted into a puddle of solder, so the melt point must be quite low.