VOGONS

First post, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
for my ever changing retro DOS/Win9x/WinXP project, i now have an Athlon 2800+ on a Via K8M800 based motherboard.

Simple question: which would you choose between an ATI 9600 Pro and an nVidia GeForce FX5600 (I have them both)?

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nVidia's DOS VESA support was unsurpassed up to and including the FX-series. 9600Pro wouldn't be terrible, but with DOS in the list the FX5600 has a small advantage. Apart from that performance & features are very comparable.

Take a look at the exact cards though: if one is cheap crap with bad analog filters, and the other a superbly build card, choose the better built one.

Reply 2 of 10, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, one is a Sapphire 128Mb:
GJ2Z89pt.jpg itzHnbNt.jpg

and the other is a Sparkle 256Mb:
JwLjs0Mt.jpg dkOkP63t.jpg

To be really honest, the Sapphire looks like it's a solid build, especially on the heatsink/fan. The Sparkle looks OK. Then there's the double VRAM but I highly doubt it would be of any use under DOS or 98...

Reply 4 of 10, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-01, 06:39:

Forget about the FX for WinXP or DirectX 9. Dos/98/XP is the impossible build.

I know it's next to impossible to have the best of all three, that's why I'm mainly focused on 98.
XP is more like a wild card, let's put it that way. Out of, say, ten games I can't run properly on Windows 10, eight or nine would work with 98 and only a couple would require XP.
So yes, I'm trying to have a balanced system capable of running XP but mostly aimed at high 98 performance.

Reply 5 of 10, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found the 9600 Pro works great in 98se on my Asus A8V board.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 7 of 10, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sparkle made solid cards my sparkle GTX 470 is still working and is solid stable I've owned it since new. I've had nothing but issues with Sapphire parts in the past.

Reply 9 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to play DX8/9 games use the 9600PRO, if you want to play DOS and DX5/6/7 games then pick the FX5600

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.