VOGONS

First post, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I have an MGA-based Matrox card in 16-bit ISA-format.

Does anyone know whether this card is capable of working in an 8-bit setting? I suppose the dip switches might come in play, but I have no documentation and the internet is not helping me either.

The idea is to use this card as a replacement for the hercules output on an old Sanyo 8088 XT, so I can hook up that system to the screens I have available.

Pictures:

MGA2.JPG
Filename
MGA2.JPG
File size
255.37 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
MGA3.JPG
Filename
MGA3.JPG
File size
140 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Stay safe and healthy

Reply 2 of 10, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the link, but I'd really like to know if this card is capable of functioning in an 8-bit slot, and which actions (jumpers, dips) I need to take to have it work. The PCI-version has none of these headaches, of course.

Reply 4 of 10, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried it, and it did not work. I should have mentioned that in my opening post. 8-bit is definitively not my area of expertise.

Thanks for the information on the dipswitch, it seems logical indeed that these are for IRQ rather than anything else.

Reply 5 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If my memory is correct, the VGA performance of early Matrox cards (before the first gen Millennium and Mystique) was pretty abysmal anyway . My personal experience is based on the PCI Impression Lite that a friend owned . Again, going from memory, the correspondence between him and Matrox could basically be resumed as saying the cards were meant as video accelerators for Windows, CAD , etc and had great performance there, but VGA support was there for compatibility purposes only, not as anything that could be considered high performance . Yet again from memory, VGA performance on that PCI Impression Lite was subjectively so bad that it made OAK and Trident ISA cards look good in comparison .

I cannot comment on the Matrox Impression Plus ISA specifically, but I would not expect anything good from it on the VGA front, even if it did work in an 8-bit slot .

Reply 6 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"The MGA Millennium has been both a critical and a popular favorite. The board’s success as a game platform was a surprise to Matrox, particularly since gamers scorned the Millennium’s predecessors due to lackluster VGA performance."

From https://www.computer.org/publications/tech-ne … xels/matrox-mga

Reply 8 of 10, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On such cards it is also possible for the DIP switches to set memory regions.

darry wrote on 2020-04-07, 03:04:

"The MGA Millennium has been both a critical and a popular favorite. The board’s success as a game platform was a surprise to Matrox, particularly since gamers scorned the Millennium’s predecessors due to lackluster VGA performance."

From https://www.computer.org/publications/tech-ne … xels/matrox-mga

Quote from that article:
1994 – Matrox introduced the Matrox Impression, an AIB that worked in conjunction with a Millennium card to provide 3D acceleration.

I don't think they know what are they talking about.

Reply 9 of 10, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Impression was geared toward 3D CAD work not gaming. I suppose you could run a Millenium for 2D and using the feature connection switch to the Impression plus for 3D CAD.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 10 of 10, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2020-04-08, 22:25:

The Impression was geared toward 3D CAD work not gaming. I suppose you could run a Millenium for 2D and using the feature connection switch to the Impression plus for 3D CAD.

But what would be the point?
Are there any pictures of AIB Impression?