VOGONS

First post, by tails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently facing an issue where running low-res dos programs in Windows 98 confuses my monitor which thinks the signal is out of range. I can convince the monitor that everything is fine by alt+tab'ing away from the program and back into it then everything runs fine. Sometimes even opening a command prompt window causes the colours to go crazy. I've tried with multiple Nvidia 7600GT cards and the issue persists.

Some halfway fixes I've found so far:
Use a DVI to VGA adapter and just plug the VGA cable directly into the monitor - Works
No GPU drivers - Works
ATI X550 GPU does not have the same problem - Works

I'd really like to get DVI working to make it easier to hook the PC up to other displays

Last edited by tails on 2020-04-11, 04:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 15, by tails

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-10, 23:19:

Have you tried a different cable? Or is it built in to the monitor? Is it a dual-link DVI-D cable?

I've only tried single link because that's all I had laying around. Could it be the cable if I have the same cable working with no drivers/other gpu?

Reply 7 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK, it is a known issue on later Nvidia cards with integrated TMDS

See Re: Wacraft I on Geforce 6600GT and LCD in Win98SE, black screen in fullscreen mode, but i can get back to window mode..

Reply 9 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tails wrote on 2020-04-12, 03:42:

Sorry, I'm new. Why does using windows standard drivers or a DVI to VGA adapter not also trigger the issue?

Evidently the NVidia drivers have a bug (or a feature) that the Windows standard drivers do not. VGA signals are completely different from DVI and it is not surprising that they would produce different results.

Reply 10 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tails wrote on 2020-04-12, 03:42:

Sorry, I'm new. Why does using windows standard drivers or a DVI to VGA adapter not also trigger the issue?

The bug is specific to the Nvidia drivers which interact directly with the card hardware to offer accelerated rendering (2D and 3D). The Windows standard drivers use the non hardware accelerated VESA BIOS interface of the card and are less likely to have such bugs because they are much simpler in functionality .

when using a passive DVI to VGA adapter (the most common kind) on a DVI-I port , the video is not actually being converted from digital DVI to analog VGA . The VGA signal is already present on the video card, being generated independently of DVI, and is exposed on pins of the DVI-I port that are not used by the DVI digital connection . The passive DVI to VGA adapter simply connects the VGA specific pins to a 15-pin VGA connector . The bug being specific to DVI , it does not affect VGA output .
See https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detai … dvi-i-and-dvi-d for more info on DVI-I .

Reply 12 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tails wrote on 2020-04-12, 08:45:

Is there much chance of this being solved in the future?

That would depend on nVidia's enthusiasm for fixing the bug. Considering that other thread is three years old, I wouldn't hold my breath.

A long, long time ago I worked around a rather different bug in nVidia's drivers by editing my monitor's EDID. Maybe something similar would work here?
http://web.archive.org/web/20100906042110/htt … graphics-cards/

Reply 13 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-12, 19:15:
That would depend on nVidia's enthusiasm for fixing the bug. Considering that other thread is three years old, I wouldn't hold […]
Show full quote
tails wrote on 2020-04-12, 08:45:

Is there much chance of this being solved in the future?

That would depend on nVidia's enthusiasm for fixing the bug. Considering that other thread is three years old, I wouldn't hold my breath.

A long, long time ago I worked around a rather different bug in nVidia's drivers by editing my monitor's EDID. Maybe something similar would work here?
http://web.archive.org/web/20100906042110/htt … graphics-cards/

The chances of Nvidia even looking at this are non existent . The thread may be three years old, but the drivers are for an OS that's been unsupported for almost 15 years . If there is ever to be a fix, it will come from a third party patch .

Reply 15 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My suggestion, if you want to go Nvidia under Windows 98, is to get an FX 5900 or other high end member of the FX family or its Quadro equivalent so long as it has a TMDS by Silicon Image .
Anything requiring a newer and faster GPU is probably best played under XP or higher .