VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am using a Sewell Hammerhead on a smaller 4k TV ever since I discovered that my series 6 TCL 4k TV stretches VGA resolutions (the series 5 does not.)

The problem with the Hammer head is that is cuts off the bottom line or so (can't see the flashing cursor or the bottoms of q's and g's.)

Does anyone have personal experience with particular scalers that will give me the best, forced 4:3 picture without cutoffs?

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scythifuge wrote on 2020-04-26, 20:15:
Greetings, […]
Show full quote

Greetings,

I am using a Sewell Hammerhead on a smaller 4k TV ever since I discovered that my series 6 TCL 4k TV stretches VGA resolutions (the series 5 does not.)

The problem with the Hammer head is that is cuts off the bottom line or so (can't see the flashing cursor or the bottoms of q's and g's.)

Does anyone have personal experience with particular scalers that will give me the best, forced 4:3 picture without cutoffs?

Scythifuge

Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus works well when I need it .

Reply 2 of 2, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-04-26, 20:38:
Scythifuge wrote on 2020-04-26, 20:15:
Greetings, […]
Show full quote

Greetings,

Scythifuge

Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus works well when I need it .

Thank you, I will check it out. MS-DOS stretches on the Hammerhead /Series 6 TCL, but 640x480 gives a 4:3 picture. I wonder if I need to scale DOS VGA to 640x480 output in order to work, as a straight signal conversion does not work. TCL could simply add 320x200 and 320x240 to their firmware, but I doubt that they will, despite the rep emailing back that "it could be a good feature for our TV, but unfortunately does not exist at this time."

It is getting difficult for the retro community...