NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV question

Topic actions

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I remember back in the early 2000's I had a ultra low notebook based on a Celeron Mobile 266Mhz, something like that and this NeoMagic 256AV graphic chip. Back then I remember that it was supporting only 2D acceleration and no 3D drivers seems to be available. But I also remember to have read some opinions that the chip itself may have had some 3D support / unknown drivers for Direct3D. Was that a myth or really it could have supported Direct3D? And anyway was that any good in DOS games or anything 2D compared to the alternative desktop older solutions?
I remember back than I spent a lot of time looking for those drivers but I end up using it only in 2D (Half Life ran quite well in software mode).
Bye

Reply 2 of 25, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote on 2020-05-23, 15:20:

It was a myth caused by one software combination reporting d3d ability.

I imagined that was the end of the story. I remember I wanted so much to see Direct3D acceleration on that, maybe just for the wow effect to see an hardware accelerated mobile device when almost no devices (if not any at all) could still have a 3D gpu into it (beside full size notebooks or some smartphone of those years had some ATi based core inside like a Sony Ericsson I had that effectively had 3D acceleration into it). But to play Half Life or something like that on such device it'd have been awesome. Those Sony micro notebook were so cool at that time.

Reply 3 of 25, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I have this video chip desoldered from some old laptop MB that I trashed years ago.
I'm looking for any tech. doc about this chip MagicMedia 256AV NM2200C-A. I know it was quite spreaded in laptops from Pentium II / 440BX era - IBM Thinkpads, Sony Vaio, HP Omnibook, Toshiba. Fujitsu and much more but I'm unable to find a single laptop MB schematic diagram that use this chip to see it's pinout. I searched and found a lot of IBM schematics but all are from newer age of PIII/Tualatin and later. Please let me know If you find any schematic where this chip is used.

Update: after hunting for Thinkpads and Thoughbooks I finally found a schematic of quite unknown Sharp PC-A800, with NM2200, yes...
https://elektrotanya.com/sharp_pc-a800.pdf/download.html#dl

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 4 of 25, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote on 2020-05-23, 12:57:

And anyway was that any good in DOS games or anything 2D compared to the alternative desktop older solutions?

I have tested NeoMagic MagicMedia256AV with DOS games and it has a poor compatibility, actually NeoMagic MagicMedia256AV one of the worst.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 5 of 25, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gona wrote on 2021-04-01, 11:30:

And anyway was that any good in DOS games or anything 2D compared to the alternative desktop older solutions?

I have tested NeoMagic MagicMedia256AV with DOS games and it has a poor compatibility, actually NeoMagic MagicMedia256AV one of the worst.

Too bad.. I suppose back in those time there were not many low-power subnotebook oriented video chip on the market and it was mostly oriented for Win GUI usage. I remember when I had a subnotebook Celeron 266Mhz with it having played a bit with Half Life with software rendering but I don't remember dos based games.

Reply 6 of 25, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote on 2021-04-01, 18:01:

Too bad.. I suppose back in those time there were not many low-power subnotebook oriented video chip on the market and it was mostly oriented for Win GUI usage. I remember when I had a subnotebook Celeron 266Mhz with it having played a bit with Half Life with software rendering but I don't remember dos based games.

Yes, tose times (1998-1999) laptops are intended for Win GUI usage. Earlier there was S3 Aurora64V+ (announced: 22 January 1996) and this one has really good DOS compatibility, maybe the best laptop oriented graphics chip for DOS games. But nothing 3D. The Virge MX DOS compatibility I have not have tested yet, but I thing it is also good. Virge MX has D3D support too but only for very early D3D games: https://vintage3d.org/virgemx.php
I think the first good D3D laptop graphics chip was ATi RAGE Mobility (released in 1999), but for DOS games also not the best. For D3D and DOS games too might the later GeForce2 GO which is good in D3D and has a good enough DOS compatibility.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 7 of 25, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only problem with Geforce 2 Go is that unless I am mistaken, there aren't any laptops with that new of a video card that have built in sound cards with DOS support.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 25, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gona wrote on 2021-04-01, 19:07:
386SX wrote on 2021-04-01, 18:01:

Yes, tose times (1998-1999) laptops are intended for Win GUI usage. Earlier there was S3 Aurora64V+ (announced: 22 January 1996) and this one has really good DOS compatibility, maybe the best laptop oriented graphics chip for DOS games. But nothing 3D. The Virge MX DOS compatibility I have not have tested yet, but I thing it is also good. Virge MX has D3D support too but only for very early D3D games: https://vintage3d.org/virgemx.php
I think the first good D3D laptop graphics chip was ATi RAGE Mobility (released in 1999), but for DOS games also not the best. For D3D and DOS games too might the later GeForce2 GO which is good in D3D and has a good enough DOS compatibility.

I remember having a Dell C600 notebook that had a Rage Mobility (I don't remember which model) video chip and indeed it was a nice enough fast solution with 8MB of video ram I suppose. I think to remember having played most late 90's games on it with perfect rendering. The cpu was a Pentium III probably 700Mhz.

Reply 9 of 25, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote on 2021-04-02, 16:13:

I remember having a Dell C600 notebook that had a Rage Mobility (I don't remember which model) video chip and indeed it was a nice enough fast solution with 8MB of video ram I suppose. I think to remember having played most late 90's games on it with perfect rendering. The cpu was a Pentium III probably 700Mhz.

Yeah. And as I read somwhere here, for old some OpenGL games the Geforce2 Go is problematic but Rage Mobility is perfect.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-02, 00:42:

Only problem with Geforce 2 Go is that unless I am mistaken, there aren't any laptops with that new of a video card that have built in sound cards with DOS support.

Yes, true. Likely no one laptops sold with Geforce2 Go has a real sound card with DOS support. But there were some laptop models with soundcard and replacable/upgradable videocard and upgrade to Geforce2 Go like Dell Inspiron 8000 and 8100:
My "ultimate" Dell Inspiron 8000
ESS Maestro 3 has a Win9x VXD driver and it has ESSAUDIO.COM (PCI Audio DOS Device Setup Utility) and ESSAUDIO.SYS (PCI Audio DOS Device Driver) too.

Reply 10 of 25, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This PCI soundcards are quite problematic, even there are DOS TSRs, it doesn't automatically mean it will works with DOS games. Sometimes it's screwed in BIOS or else...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 11 of 25, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RayeR wrote on 2021-04-03, 15:37:

This PCI soundcards are quite problematic, even there are DOS TSRs, it doesn't automatically mean it will works with DOS games. Sometimes it's screwed in BIOS or else...

Thanks, this is an important information. ESS ES19xx chips are all using PCI bus. A ES1879 chip is ISA so should much better. And exist laptops with ESS ES1879 audio chip and S3 ViRGE/MX video chip.

Reply 12 of 25, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCI ESS ES1938S Solo-1 has much better DOS compatibility and FM music quality than ESS Maestro. I only had one laptop that uses it - Compaq Presario 1800 (P3 + ATI Rage 128 8MB or 16MB). Plays Half-life fine.

Anyway, ESS Maestro in Inspiron 8100 is OK for basic digital audio capabilities in DOS. And its GPU can be upgraded to pretty powerful Radeon 9000.

I also had a laptop with NeoMagic video card (Presario 1200) and there was one problem worth keeping in mind - image is stretched to full screen without any filtering. It makes text in MS-DOS look terrible IMO. Some people may prefer pixelated look, but I don't like it. Laptops with "proper" 3D cards like Rage 128, Geforce, Radeons etc., even newer SiS ones usually had smooth scaling.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 13 of 25, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey Gona, when you said that it has bad DOS compatibility, can you elaborate a bit? How was it tested? I saw the charts that you published on the DOS_TEST but I am a bit unclear on the methodology.
I don't remember Neomagic chips were ever found on standalone video cards, so I would assume that this was tested on a period laptop computer?
Which machine was it? Was it tested on the laptop's LCD or was it strictly output to the VGA port? Was fastvid or any MTRR write combining utilities loaded?
I have a Neomagic Magicgraph 128XD (first generation NM2160C off the PCI bus) and I didn't experience some of the issues stated, so I am interested to know how this result came about.

Reply 14 of 25, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ragefury32 wrote on 2021-04-09, 01:47:
Hey Gona, when you said that it has bad DOS compatibility, can you elaborate a bit? How was it tested? I saw the charts that […]
Show full quote

Hey Gona, when you said that it has bad DOS compatibility, can you elaborate a bit? How was it tested? I saw the charts that you published on the DOS_TEST but I am a bit unclear on the methodology.
I don't remember Neomagic chips were ever found on standalone video cards, so I would assume that this was tested on a period laptop computer?
Which machine was it? Was it tested on the laptop's LCD or was it strictly output to the VGA port? Was fastvid or any MTRR write combining utilities loaded?
I have a Neomagic Magicgraph 128XD (first generation NM2160C off the PCI bus) and I didn't experience some of the issues stated, so I am interested to know how this result came about.

Hello,
The chart I was made primarily for standalone video cards to help building a retro desktop machines, but in some cases I was curious for some integrated solutions like Cyrix XpressGRAPHICS which is integrated to a CPU (but this was actually not a laptop). In case of NeoMagic laptop, I have tested it by other reason but I have thought I do the DOS compatibility too, because I have none NeoMagic results in my chart. For DOS compatibility test I'm using MS-DOS 6.22 without any shell or other memory resident program (for first time and if it has problem, I will try UniVBE or other tools). Himem.sys or emm386.exe loads only if needed. I'm not using fastvid or MTRR here because these not solve compatibility problems but increase speed (but for benchmark I would use one of them if it helps on that platform). My NeoMagic MagicMedia256AV machine is a Roda Rocky II one. It is a Pentium MMX Tillamook 266MHz (downclocked by Roda to 240MHz).
Of all my results, only the MagicMedia256AV has tested in laptop. All of the MagicMedia256AV test was done on the laptop's LCD (which is 1024x768) for first time and the 1280x1024 test on both integrated and external display and if I noticed resolution/position/part-missing problem I have also tested on external monitor too and I have showed them in the chart like this one: "right side is missing (on external monitor too)". Surprising to me that you have not noticed problems with MagicGraph128XD. MagicGraph128XD about one year older chip than MagicMedia256AV. Might MagicGraph128XD better in DOS compatibility than MagicMedia256AV. Have you tested on MagicGraph128XD old scrolling "platform" games too?

Reply 15 of 25, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW did MagicMedia256AV have VBE 2.0 or 1.2 only? In case of 1.2 did UniVBE work with it to bring 2.0 support?

Reply 16 of 25, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gona wrote on 2021-04-09, 08:29:
Hello, The chart I was made primarily for standalone video cards to help building a retro desktop machines, but in some cases I […]
Show full quote
ragefury32 wrote on 2021-04-09, 01:47:
Hey Gona, when you said that it has bad DOS compatibility, can you elaborate a bit? How was it tested? I saw the charts that […]
Show full quote

Hello,
The chart I was made primarily for standalone video cards to help building a retro desktop machines, but in some cases I was curious for some integrated solutions like Cyrix XpressGRAPHICS which is integrated to a CPU (but this was actually not a laptop). In case of NeoMagic laptop, I have tested it by other reason but I have thought I do the DOS compatibility too, because I have none NeoMagic results in my chart. For DOS compatibility test I'm using MS-DOS 6.22 without any shell or other memory resident program (for first time and if it has problem, I will try UniVBE or other tools). Himem.sys or emm386.exe loads only if needed. I'm not using fastvid or MTRR here because these not solve compatibility problems but increase speed (but for benchmark I would use one of them if it helps on that platform). My NeoMagic MagicMedia256AV machine is a Roda Rocky II one. It is a Pentium MMX Tillamook 266MHz (downclocked by Roda to 240MHz).
Of all my results, only the MagicMedia256AV has tested in laptop. All of the MagicMedia256AV test was done on the laptop's LCD (which is 1024x768) for first time and the 1280x1024 test on both integrated and external display and if I noticed resolution/position/part-missing problem I have also tested on external monitor too and I have showed them in the chart like this one: "right side is missing (on external monitor too)". Surprising to me that you have not noticed problems with MagicGraph128XD. MagicGraph128XD about one year older chip than MagicMedia256AV. Might MagicGraph128XD better in DOS compatibility than MagicMedia256AV. Have you tested on MagicGraph128XD old scrolling "platform" games too?

Thanks for explaining your methodologies - the Roda Rocky II (RT586, I think?) is not well known in the US but it looks similar to a Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 in terms of most features, although I don't know if the Rocky II has a distinct sound chip (the Thinkpad 600Es use their MagicMedia 256AV with a Crystal sound chip, while the CF-27 uses a Yamaha YMF744), or it uses the AC97 codec built into the MagicMedia (which is what Dell did with their Latitude CPiA/CPiR models). Not sure if having it serve as the AC97 codec alongside its GPU duties will mess with the fillrates, scrolling or whatnot, but it might be possible.

The Cyrix MediaGX graphics is found on thin clients, but it could also be found in some laptops like the Hitachi Flora Note 20 and some Compaq Presario 1200 models.
I am actually a little surprised by how the Neomagic is the only laptop on your list since you have at least 3 other laptop GPUs on that list (ATi Mobility-P, ATi Rage Pro LT, S3 SavageIX), and laptop GPUs does tend to behave a bit differently versus their desktop cousins, usually due to decreased power/heat budgets, less VRAM and etc.
Are those "white box special" desktop cards?

As for the MagicGraph 128XD, well, it depends. I don't have some of the games tested (Keen 5, Prehistorik, Jazz Jackrabbit, Jurassic Park and Lollypop), I am not that into Boulderdash clones (Boulderoid/Duff), and the ones that I did try (Volfied, Asterix and Oberlix, Prehistorik 2 with the Hybrid warez greetz banner) I didn't see that much of an issue to make it a game breaker - I mean, the greetz banners on Prehistorik 2 were odd (well actually, I can still read the messages but the scrolling was weird), but the game itself plays just fine. The scrolling in Gods drives me a bit nuts, but then it wasn't that much better on my Thinkpad 560E with the Cyber9385. I mean, the objective of the testing is to see how compatible the GPUs are to non-standard VGA modes (like Michael Abrash's Mode X) and scrolling techniques, right?

I could tell you (with screenshots and videos) that MSFS 5 on VESA 1.2 mode runs just fine on the Magicgraph 128XD on my Thinkpad 240 (which has a native 800x600 18 bit screen).

Reply 17 of 25, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RayeR wrote on 2021-04-09, 14:27:

BTW did MagicMedia256AV have VBE 2.0 or 1.2 only? In case of 1.2 did UniVBE work with it to bring 2.0 support?

MagicMedia256AV have VBE 2.0. UniVBE versions up to 5.0 give/increase VBE 1.2 support (VBE 2.0 released after UniVBE 5.0). UniVBE from 5.1 to 5.3a give/increase VBE 2.0 support, and UniVBE 6.x give/increase VBE 3.0 support. According to readme 6.53 support NeoMagic NM2070/90/93, and the last version the 6.70 supports NeoMagic NM2070, NM2090, NM2093, NM2097, NM2160, NM2200.
But UniVBE do nothing with scroll problems so in my test UniVBE has helped only in two games.

ragefury32 wrote on 2021-04-09, 17:31:

I am actually a little surprised by how the Neomagic is the only laptop on your list since you have at least 3 other laptop GPUs on that list (ATi Mobility-P, ATi Rage Pro LT, S3 SavageIX), and laptop GPUs does tend to behave a bit differently versus their desktop cousins, usually due to decreased power/heat budgets, less VRAM and etc.

Yes, Neomagic is the only laptop testing in my chart, ATi Mobility-P, ATi Rage Pro LT, S3 SavageIX are all desktop versions, AGP cards. Sure, integrated versions usually have less memory, and can be other differences too. I have tested in Win 9x an integrated 3D Rage Pro (into a Dell desktop motherboard) and was much less compatible than the original 3D Rage Pro AGP card although I have done those tests in full the same environment and driver.
Furthermore some cases BIOS versions and card manufacturer modifications/versions also can give different results, this is why I have retested lot S3 cards.
But I can't deal with everything, and because I want a big enough database, but I had not enough cards, I have started to collect cheap videocards on eBay and some other online marketplaces. And a videocard is much cheaper than a laptop, so primarily this is why I bought ATi Mobility-P, ATi Rage Pro LT, S3 SavageIX in card and not as laptop. Games into the test were selected by looking for problematic games on the net. First two that I have found was Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit. Later I have selected some cards, and I have tested lot DOS games that I have I have found Prehistorik 1-2, Duff, Mario, Pinball Fantasies, Bulderoid, Jurassic Park and Lollypop. I have started the testing and work. Later I found problems with Quake and Duke Nukem 3D with some resolutions, so I have expand the table. Someone has told Michael Abrash's Mode X and that Doom 1-2 is a Mode X game, so I have put DOOM 2 too. The end of the 2012 the cart look like this (this is archived):
https://web.archive.org/web/20121201183714/ht … r.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Later I have found some of the Rob Muller utils and I have seen what games are affected so I have bought that games and expand the table again. Later I have found all of the Rob Muller utils, and some other utils too. Later 3 cases someone has asked an exact problematic DOS game what he wanted to see in my chart. The upcoming 4 update (the four white columns) contains 3 games asked by someone. But but the update/testing delaying I have other projects too. I have just finished a VESA Local Bus version:
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS_VLB/

Reply 18 of 25, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gona wrote on 2021-04-09, 20:22:
MagicMedia256AV have VBE 2.0. UniVBE versions up to 5.0 give/increase VBE 1.2 support (VBE 2.0 released after UniVBE 5.0). UniVB […]
Show full quote

MagicMedia256AV have VBE 2.0. UniVBE versions up to 5.0 give/increase VBE 1.2 support (VBE 2.0 released after UniVBE 5.0). UniVBE from 5.1 to 5.3a give/increase VBE 2.0 support, and UniVBE 6.x give/increase VBE 3.0 support. According to readme 6.53 support NeoMagic NM2070/90/93, and the last version the 6.70 supports NeoMagic NM2070, NM2090, NM2093, NM2097, NM2160, NM2200.
But UniVBE do nothing with scroll problems so in my test UniVBE has helped only in two games.

Yes, Neomagic is the only laptop testing in my chart, ATi Mobility-P, ATi Rage Pro LT, S3 SavageIX are all desktop versions, AGP cards. Sure, integrated versions usually have less memory, and can be other differences too. I have tested in Win 9x an integrated 3D Rage Pro (into a Dell desktop motherboard) and was much less compatible than the original 3D Rage Pro AGP card although I have done those tests in full the same environment and driver.
Furthermore some cases BIOS versions and card manufacturer modifications/versions also can give different results, this is why I have retested lot S3 cards.
But I can't deal with everything, and because I want a big enough database, but I had not enough cards, I have started to collect cheap videocards on eBay and some other online marketplaces. And a videocard is much cheaper than a laptop, so primarily this is why I bought ATi Mobility-P, ATi Rage Pro LT, S3 SavageIX in card and not as laptop. Games into the test were selected by looking for problematic games on the net. First two that I have found was Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit. Later I have selected some cards, and I have tested lot DOS games that I have I have found Prehistorik 1-2, Duff, Mario, Pinball Fantasies, Bulderoid, Jurassic Park and Lollypop. I have started the testing and work. Later I found problems with Quake and Duke Nukem 3D with some resolutions, so I have expand the table. Someone has told Michael Abrash's Mode X and that Doom 1-2 is a Mode X game, so I have put DOOM 2 too. The end of the 2012 the cart look like this (this is archived):

Later I have found some of the Rob Muller utils and I have seen what games are affected so I have bought that games and expand the table again. Later I have found all of the Rob Muller utils, and some other utils too. Later 3 cases someone has asked an exact problematic DOS game what he wanted to see in my chart. The upcoming 4 update (the four white columns) contains 3 games asked by someone. But but the update/testing delaying I have other projects too. I have just finished a VESA Local Bus version:

Oh, ah. So the intent of the DOS test was really more of a gauntlet, a worst case scenario of having some games that are notoriously difficult to get running, and see how they behave.
I did see some slow scroll issues on the Neomagic 128XD with the shareware versions of Keen4 and Keen6, but I am not sure if this is the same issue you observed, or if it happened to the same magnitude - to me the scrolling looks slow but then Keen is not really a fast scroller like Sonic the hedgehog on the Sega Genesis. It doesn't impact gameplay per-se but it looks different from the results on, say, a SavageIX equipped Sony Vaio PCG-SR31 or what DOSBox shows on a modern machine. Of course, I also can't tell if I am getting the doubled-fifth-line issue on Keen on the SR31, either.

May I suggest adding Volfied and Gods to the list of problematic games?

Reply 19 of 25, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ragefury32 wrote on 2021-04-09, 21:13:
Oh, ah. So the intent of the DOS test was really more of a gauntlet, a worst case scenario of having some games that are notorio […]
Show full quote
Gona wrote on 2021-04-09, 20:22:
MagicMedia256AV have VBE 2.0. UniVBE versions up to 5.0 give/increase VBE 1.2 support (VBE 2.0 released after UniVBE 5.0). UniVB […]
Show full quote

Oh, ah. So the intent of the DOS test was really more of a gauntlet, a worst case scenario of having some games that are notoriously difficult to get running, and see how they behave.
I did see some slow scroll issues on the Neomagic 128XD with the shareware versions of Keen4 and Keen6, but I am not sure if this is the same issue you observed, or if it happened to the same magnitude - to me the scrolling looks slow but then Keen is not really a fast scroller like Sonic the hedgehog on the Sega Genesis. It doesn't impact gameplay per-se but it looks different from the results on, say, a SavageIX equipped Sony Vaio PCG-SR31 or what DOSBox shows on a modern machine. Of course, I also can't tell if I am getting the doubled-fifth-line issue on Keen on the SR31, either.

May I suggest adding Volfied and Gods to the list of problematic games?

Keen 4-5-6 scroll problems are not only some slow scroll issues but continuous abnormal, lagging moves. Next time when I find this problem I will try to make video about it. An print screen about the the doubled-fifth-line issue too.

I have Gods, I will do some tests with some cards later.