VOGONS

First post, by ChainsawR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up one recently for under $30. I'm wondering if I have an issue with the drivers, bios on it, or maybe bad ram.

When I turn on the pc at the beginning it says it's a 3Dfx card with 16mb memory and has a VGA bios of 1.01.01-ET (I'm assuming this is a custom bios the manufacturer had set).

When I tell it to find drivers for it from a specified location using the Voodoo Banshee drivers from 3Dfx (any of them) it just wants to grab a generic VGA windows display driver. And if I force it to by using the have disk option and point it to the Banshee driver it tells me the driver wasn't designed for this hardware. Forcing it to install works, but when I get into Windows 98SE it will not allow me to set color to 16/24/32-bit any higher than 640x480 resolution and has vertical lines across the screen. When I have it set to 16 colors or 256 colors it will let me set higher resolutions with no lines. I can even run a 3Dfx videogames fine with 16-bit or higher color set, but again only at 640x480 with lines vertically.

Oddly enough, I can install the Creative 3D Blaster Banshee drivers and it will think it's that card no problem. With that driver I can change the desktop to all kinds of resolutions but the vertical lines are still there and if I try to run a game the machine locks up and the graphics are all scrambled.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has this card running properly, what bios does it show it has, and what drivers are you using?

Note: This is an AGP card with SGRam (from what I could find it's most likely Samsung SGRam) and only has a VGA output. This is where I'm wondering if it's a bios issue because from what I can dig up the ET at the end of the bios is Etron which is a manufacturer of SGRam but the chips on this card say SEC Korea.

Last edited by ChainsawR on 2020-06-12, 21:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by ChainsawR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-12, 21:45:

Looks like your card is half-dead.

Quite possible. I just wanted to know if anyone more familiar with Banshee cards could tell me. I've not had this sort of issue with other Voodoo cards, first time I've ever messed with a Banshee model. But it seems like I can't find any real info on the Ensoniq branded one specifically.

Update:

I was able to flash it to 3Dfx AGP Banshee bios 1.00.10SG and get it to recognize properly with reference drivers, but still have issues with it not changing resolutions above 640x480 and vertical lines. Going say it probably had overheated in the past too much and sgram/gpu is going to crap. It's actually running very hot even so now as soon as the drivers are installed (about burns your finger to the touch on the heatsink). 24-bit color seems to have the least noticeable lines on screen for some reason. Doesn't seem to lock up now that it has the bios swapped in it though. I doubt getting the heatsink off and putting new thermal grease and adding a fan to it will solve the issue, but may try it anyway.

Reply 3 of 4, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a Pci Banshee from Creative Labs. It didn't came with its original heatsink (saved from a scrap lot). I put a generic heatsink that wouldn't make proper contact with the chip and the card would lock up the system randomly. Found another heatsink that just perfect for the card and also put some good quality thermal paste. I tried the card with a fan blowing air strait at the heatsink, it ran flawlessly afterwards.
But my card never showed artifacts.
I also had a Ensoniq Banshee at one point, but never gave me issues. I ran the card in WinXP with the Evolution 1.0 drivers. The bigger heatsink on the Ensoniq card makes a difference in a well ventilated case.

Reply 4 of 4, by ChainsawR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I got the resolution problem fixed by going my advanced display settings and manually changing the monitor type to 1280x1024 digital flat panel. The lines you can't really see on the desktop anymore when putting it to the proper resolution of 1280x1024. But in games there's still the lines (Games won't let me set beyond 1280x960, but I think that's due to the monitor itself). I also put a 80mm case fan blowing onto the heatsink and it's not hot any longer, but results are same with or without it, so I'm guessing the heat probably isn't outside the realm of safe temps and the Banshee just runs hot like other voodoo cards. The weird thing is the two games I tested, Half Life and System Shock 2, these lines are not everywhere. The character/enemy models look fine, my player's hands and guns look fine, just the rest of the world around has it. I'm going to dig up an old CRT out of storage and see what it looks like on that at a higher 75 or 85 hz refresh rate. It's quite odd.

Update:
Ended up baking it in an old toaster oven I used once before for a GPU having artifact issues that I had sitting in my garage. Got rid of some of it. Less lines, but still lines. Maybe need to bake it higher temp. Just did the standard 375 for 10 mins. Probably needs totally reballed, but I'm not equipped for that so oh well. I've still got a Voodoo2 laying around anyhow if I absolutely need the voodoo thing going.