VOGONS

First post, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought this HIS Radeon 9800 PRO IceQ supposedly as working.

Upon trying it in 2 different systems vertical lines and artifacts in 3D are visible. Additionally my PC reboots randomly in 3D mode.
I tried underclocking the card using Rivatuner without any luck.

Is this permanent VRAM damage and not fixable ? (see screenshot) It's odd as the VRAM had heatsinks attached and the IceQ version has better cooling than the default which allows overclocking pretty high.

thanks

Attachments

• 20200627_153812.jpg
    Filename
    20200627_153812.jpg
    File size
    1.22 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Radeon 9800 cards are often dead due to them having a shim which prevents adequate contact with the GPU die. Especially with the age causing the TIM to dry out, many of these cards cooked themselves to death.
This is assuming your VGA card has a cooked die though. Still it having dead RAM wouldn't change much from a practical viewpoint as either would probably mean the card is dead. You could try baking it but for now please wait till we get some more answers in here (though I wouldn't get high expectations).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Radeon 9800 cards are often dead due to them having a shim which prevents adequate contact with the GPU die.

Radeon 9800 coolers had small bump to adress this issue.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You also usually find thermal wax as the thermal interface material with these cards, which is a good gap filler. Otherwise called phase change TIM. It liquifies when heated and it stays in place. Paste won't work properly.

The big R3x0 boards like 9500/9700/9800 seemed to suffer a frequent failure of some component though and this artifacting is the result.

Reply 4 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My personal theory - crappy Samsung BGA chips are mostly to blame.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, probably bad memory, I've seen it a lot, especially on early versions of that card.

Regarding the shim issue, it's interesting to notice that later 9800 Pros do not seem to have that problem. I have a Dell-branded R9800 Pro that has a 2008 (!) date code and the shim on that one doesn't prevent contact with a flat cooler, in fact the stock cooler that came with the card is flat.