VOGONS

First post, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone!

I need some directions on how to test and benchmark my new Voodoo 2. In fact I only know it's a Techworks model.
No idea on how much ram is on, but I think - as all memory chips are soldered - it is a 12mb V2.

OS, games, drivers?

I just tried Unreal and it worked, another game, v-rally crashed.
I paired it with a Tnt2.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• v2 back.jpg
    Filename
    v2 back.jpg
    File size
    1.94 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • v2 front.jpg
    Filename
    v2 front.jpg
    File size
    1.53 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 7, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More info, OS, Drivers, when do games crash. Open case test, closed case test, what kind of airflow? Etc.

As for a general stability test you can leave Unreal looping, run Quake II demoloop with crusher and massive1 looping. I find the Unreal intro causes issues often before the QII demoloop.
I'm running 2 stb cards in SLI that I recently acquired and am using the final 3dfx driver release 3.xx not the custom drivers that you find out there. These cards do need good airflow, especially when paired with faster CPU's

Reply 2 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I found the latest 98SE and I think it did change something. Case is open. Game crashed but with new driver it does not.
I now moved the card to a 233MMX, before it was with a duron 1000. And it shows the difference in performance.

Paired with a PCI with 2mb or vram. Unreal works but it's laggy and in open scenarios it stutters... low fps I guess 😀

I still don't know how to check vram amount.

Reply 3 of 7, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

vram is in the video control panel under the voodoo2 settings tab, info button. Alsot it's a 12MB card based on your pictures, also it could possibly be an 8MB card turned into a 12MB card based on the different memory IC's used on the back. If it were an 8MB card the top 8 ram chips on the back would simply be omitted. I will say old components like that can usually stand to be cleaned too, a soft tooth brush and some IPA do wonders. One other thing is the default clock is 90Mhz and some cards don't do well above that. I picked up a rev c. STB card that has 90Mhz ram and it crashes at the 93Mhz the modded drivers set it to. so make sure that if you did install any custom drivers that you set the card back to 90Mhz.

Reply 4 of 7, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't know it was there. Big surprise it has everything now, all data!! Sweet!
Thanks

I'll check stuff and continue tomorrow.
Checked it's 12MB. I believe it could have been factory upgraded or done bya professional as the solder points are impeccable.

Reply 5 of 7, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you can also use fraps 1.9d to get real time frame rates in quite a few glide games that use the 3dfxgl.dll
can't find my list but, definitely games like quake2 and hexen ii.
doesn't work with unreal.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... sion).html

Reply 6 of 7, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you install Fast Voodoo Drivers you also get two demos : Doughnut and 3060.
If you run them, you should see the 3dfx logo pop in and you know it's using the Glide Api.
Let them run for a couple of minutes if you get no artifacts you're good.

Reply 7 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Test00.exe from the glide2x SDK.

P.S. Not understood this "lisense" thing for attachments...

Attachments

• Filename
    test00.exe
    File size
    78.5 KiB
    Downloads
    248 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).