VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by StolleMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It has upgraded video and can display EGA graphics. I've only got a CGA monitor so I was hoping that I could display more than 4 colours by using this driver.... unfortunately this driver doesn't appear to be compatible with the PC1640

Reply 21 of 39, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
StolleMan wrote on 2021-07-24, 07:47:

It has upgraded video and can display EGA graphics. I've only got a CGA monitor so I was hoping that I could display more than 4 colours by using this driver.... unfortunately this driver doesn't appear to be compatible with the PC1640

Ah, thanks, I only played with the PC1512 a bit and never saw much mention of this EGA upgade in the PC1640.

Reply 22 of 39, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
StolleMan wrote on 2021-07-24, 05:49:

I've tried this driver with my PC1640 and unfortunately it doesn't work. Don't suppose anybody knows of a driver out there for the 'updated' Amstrad XT?

The PC1640 has real EGA. You cannot use this driver. Choose EGA.

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com

Reply 23 of 39, by StolleMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jinxter wrote on 2021-07-24, 08:05:

I only have a CGA monitor, but I understand why there may not be a 16 colour CGA driver in the wild. 16 colour CGA may not be possible with the graphics on the PC1640? Certainly not a priority when it can support EGA. I was just hoping to achieve nicer graphics without changing my monitor.

Reply 24 of 39, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
StolleMan wrote on 2021-07-24, 08:34:
Jinxter wrote on 2021-07-24, 08:05:

I only have a CGA monitor, but I understand why there may not be a 16 colour CGA driver in the wild. 16 colour CGA may not be possible with the graphics on the PC1640? Certainly not a priority when it can support EGA. I was just hoping to achieve nicer graphics without changing my monitor.

EGA graphics in 320x200 in 16 colours can be displayed on a CGA monitor.

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com

Reply 25 of 39, by StolleMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jinxter wrote on 2021-07-24, 08:44:

EGA graphics in 320x200 in 16 colours can be displayed on a CGA monitor.

I can't seem to get EGA to work with my setup (just black screen), I assumed it was the monitor. Guess not? Looks like I have some more investigating to do!

Reply 26 of 39, by StolleMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so I got it to work... but it's weird...

If I cold boot and run "SCIV.EXE" from DOS3.2 I get a black screen.
If I run "SCIV.EXE" from GEM it works as it should.
Then if I quit GEM and go back to DOS it works as it should.

This is also the case for Duke Nukem 1 and Commander Keen. There isn't enough memory to run these guys from GEM but they work fine once I quit back to DOS. I'm happy enough with my work-around but I'm finding it a little odd. Commander Keen even returns an error stating that it can't detect compatible graphics.

System specs for anybody interested:
Standard Amstrad PC1640
PCCD Monitor
Amstrad Mouse and Keyboard
A: 360K 5.25"
B: 720K 3.5"
C: XT-IDE CF card with single 32mb partition
MSDOS 3.2 + GEM installed to HDD from original floppies.

Reply 27 of 39, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PC1640 has a paradise EGA card so no point to try this... It is a completely different graphics chip

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28 of 39, by StolleMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-07-24, 12:04:

PC1640 has a paradise EGA card so no point to try this... It is a completely different graphics chip

Yep, I'm fully across that now. The EGA driver is now working but only after first running GEM.

Sorry I've kinda derailed this thread a bit. I've made a new post for my specific issue: EGA Graphics Weirdness - Amstrad PC1640

Reply 29 of 39, by snappy|nuts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies on posting in an old thread but I've been using this thread since I got my childhood Amstrad PC1512 from my parent's place... this is awesome! haha

Anyway, I finally got Thexder working and am just curious if there was a 640x200 16 color port for it as well...... all of the Sierra PC1512 16 color games mentioned in this thread work perfectly! Thanks for the updated DRV file as well, that is mint.

Reply 30 of 39, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snappy|nuts wrote on 2022-12-24, 04:21:

Anyway, I finally got Thexder working and am just curious if there was a 640x200 16 color port for it as well......

There is none for the PC1512 nor would it make sense:
Due to the way the PC1512's 640x200 16-color mode is implemented, the game would run at a measly 1/4 of CGA speed.

Reply 31 of 39, by snappy|nuts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Benedikt wrote on 2022-12-24, 17:06:

Due to the way the PC1512's 640x200 16-color mode is implemented, the game would run at a measly 1/4 of CGA speed.

ahhh fair enough... thanks for the information!

Reply 32 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Benedikt wrote on 2022-12-24, 17:06:
snappy|nuts wrote on 2022-12-24, 04:21:

Anyway, I finally got Thexder working and am just curious if there was a 640x200 16 color port for it as well......

Um, but on the other hand, the Amstrads are no ordinary XT clones.
IBM PC with CGA: 8-Bit 8088, 4,77 MHz
PC1512/1640: 16-Bit 8086, 8 MHz.

So shouldn't the Amstrads be slightly slower or merely half as slow, at worst ?
I mean, wouldn't the better architecture compensate for the graphics overhead ?

I don't know, I'm just curious, as my father had a Schneider PC1512 with a NEC V30.
Unfortunately, PCem/86Box don't emulate a NEC, so I can't check myself. 😅

Edit: Typos fixed.
I haven't played Thexder on a 4,77 MHz PC yet.
There's no YouTube footage right now, also.
But the specs and cover arts at mobygames.com say "Tandy/IBM or PC compatibles 256K".

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 33 of 39, by snappy|nuts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I have and NEC V30 installed in my PC1512 ..... Thexder runs fine in CGA.... was just curious if it fell into the same pot as the other Sierra games that can use the PC1512.DRV option.

I don't find much speed difference between CGA and the Amstrad 16 color modes within the Sierra games mentioned in this thread.

Reply 34 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snappy|nuts wrote on 2022-12-25, 00:25:

Yeah I have and NEC V30 installed in my PC1512 ..... Thexder runs fine in CGA.... was just curious if it fell into the same pot as the other Sierra games that can use the PC1512.DRV option.

Whoever installed it did make a wise decision here. 🙂👍
Depending on the type of calculations/arithmetics, the NECs are much quicker.
The average improvement over an Intel is about 10%, at least.
That being said, the original 8086 was a much better chip than the 8088, already.
The NECs also support the newer Real-Mode instructions found in 80186, which make DOS programs from the 90s happy.
(Those which were compiled with AT or 80286 PC in mind.)

I don't find much speed difference between CGA and the Amstrad 16 color modes within the Sierra games mentioned in this thread.

That's cool, glad to hear! 🙂
Maybe Thexder is a bit special here, though.
Like Zeliard, it was from Japan. It seems that Sierra On-Line merely ported the game for the western audience.
So maybe the engine is different and doesn't know things like dirty-rectangle yet (merely update parts on screen which have changend). 🤷‍♂️

Edit: iI forgot to mention. I'm not saying that Benedikt is wrong anyhow.
I just wonder how the better 1512/1640 compares over a standard 4,77 MHz PC.
If things like RAM access are 16-Bit, too, then the Amstrads don't have the PC's bottlenecks.

But on the other hand, I don't know much about Thexder or shoot 'em ups in general.
Scrolling might be an performance issue, but maybe the NEC is better at such calculations,
if V20/V30 or 80186 instructions are used by the engine or the display driver.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 35 of 39, by snappy|nuts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-12-25, 01:08:
I did! As soon as I got this PC1512 back in my possession, I retro-brightened it, upgraded the RAM to 640K, installed V30 and 8 […]
Show full quote

Yeah I have an NEC V30 installed in my PC1512 ..... Thexder runs fine in CGA.... was just curious if it fell into the same pot as the other Sierra games that can use the PC1512.DRV option.

Whoever installed it did make a wise decision here. 🙂👍

I did! As soon as I got this PC1512 back in my possession, I retro-brightened it, upgraded the RAM to 640K, installed V30 and 8087 processors, GoTek rotary dial unit with updated display, XT-IDE, and RadLib AdLib clone card.

The 20MB Seagate hard drive in it still works as well. Surprised the hell out of me!

Reply 38 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2022-12-25, 15:36:

FYI: The 8-Bit Guy mentioned the Amstrad 16-color graphics mode in his recent video about "Super CGA" cards.

Thanks! 😃

I also recommend watching this old video about the AT&T/Olivetti PCs with "CGA" graphics. 🙂
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCh46_MzZU

It shows how much better an 8086 PC @8 MHz can perform over an IBM PC.
Performance is 3x better, sometimes.

Anyway, I don't mean to go off-topic any further.
- It's just something that both the 6300/M24 have in common with the Schneider PC-1512. Hence the link.

//My video channel//

Reply 39 of 39, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-16, 04:37:
Thanks! 😃 […]
Show full quote
digger wrote on 2022-12-25, 15:36:

FYI: The 8-Bit Guy mentioned the Amstrad 16-color graphics mode in his recent video about "Super CGA" cards.

Thanks! 😃

I also recommend watching this old video about the AT&T/Olivetti PCs with "CGA" graphics. 🙂
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCh46_MzZU

It shows how much better an 8086 PC @8 MHz can perform over an IBM PC.
Performance is 3x better, sometimes.

Anyway, I don't mean to go off-topic any further.
- It's just something that both the 6300/M24 have in common with the Schneider PC-1512. Hence the link.

I've seen Trixter's video on the 6300/M24 before, but thanks for sharing. I recommend it too.

You'll be hard-pressed to teach my anything new about these machines. After all, my Dad's Olivetti M24 was the machine on which I started my journey as a life-long computer geek, back in the late '80s. 😁

To steer this somewhat back on-topic: it's a shame that Olivetti didn't bother to add support for a 16-color 320x200 mode. The on-board graphics of the M24 had 32KB RAM, which would have been enough to support such a mode, at least at 320x200 resolution. But I guess they focused too much on office productivity, with games clearly being an afterthought at best. That's probably also why it didn't support the undocumented cyan/red/white color palette in graphics mode. Games that used that mode would show up on the M24 as cyan/magenta/white. Also, the color monitor of the M24 did not contain the special circuitry to display color 6 as brown. Instead, it would show as dark yellow, kind of like mustard. Gaming just wasn't the prime focus of this system. Although practically every PC/XT-compatible game with CGA support did run flawlessly otherwise, thanks to the very high level of software-level compatibility. Some of the older ones would run too quickly, but you'd have the same problem on a PC/AT or any other "Turbo XT" clone that ran faster than 4.77MHz.

To continue this off-topic tangent in the proper thread, see here for a link to a Sierra SCI driver for the M24's 640x400 hi-res 2-color mode. (Spoiler alert: I remember not noticing any improved picture quality compared to the standard 640x200 2-color CGA driver. But then again, I believe I only tried it on Quest for Glory I. Maybe it performed better with other Sierra SCI adventure games. Perhaps someone should revisit a comparison, or better yet, re-implement such a driver with a more sophisticated dithering algorithm.)