VOGONS

Reply 180 of 239, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote on 2021-02-11, 21:02:
I have bought a Diamond Fire GL 1000 card for reasonable price. I just finished with CGL testings. We have only the "Integer Reg […]
Show full quote

I have bought a Diamond Fire GL 1000 card for reasonable price. I just finished with CGL testings. We have only the "Integer Register" type driver, so "Integer Stack" and "Float Register" applications cannot find appropriate driver. Diamond Fire GL 1000 also can not work as "2nd VGA" (add-on 3D accelerator mode), or this CGL driver not support this, so BattleRace; Fatal Racing/Whiplash are switches over to nothing and no signal. (3D Blaster PCI with CGL API can works as add-on 3D accelerator but with other APIs like Speedy3D API, works only as primary card).
Diamond Fire GL 1000 has a weak DOS VBE (2D) compatibility, there are 2D problems with Battle Arena Toshinden, Actua Soccer and Euro 96. With Battle Arena Toshinden it is temporary and easily playable, but with Actua Soccer and Euro 96 serious, it was a bit hard to me to get to 3D part.
Euro96_2D_on_Diamond_Fire_GL_1000.png
I think these problems caused by the BIOS of the Diamond Fire GL 1000 card, because with my Leadtek WinFast 3D L2200 (also a Permedia NT card) there is no problem with 2D parts of these games.

Nice work! I was looking at this stuff a bit today and figured I'd pull up the thread to see if there were updates. Looks like. 😀

A couple things:
- I think these "second 2d card requred" games are fixable so that they don't require 2 cards in the system. When I looked at Battle Arena, they do this weird thing before they even initialize CGL, they put the VGA into text mode. I think it might be possible that this stops the CGL library from working on some cards when it is the only device in the system, so nopping this code out might fix it.
- Do you have BIOS dumps for the FireGL 1000 and the Leadtek? I think it would be interesting to take a look. 😀
- Today I am working on patching the "21st century digital boy" demo so it works for all CGL boards. When those guys sent me their CGL headers and lib they also sent me the source file for just how they interacted with CGL (not the drawing, just the routines). They have a special check for the Verite like so:

//
// Rutinas con el interface PCI de Yann, porque si no, las CGL no
// detectan la presencia de una 3D Blaster :-?
int Detect3DBlaster() //verite
{
PCI_Init();
if (!IsPCI) return(0);
Device3DB=PCI_FindDevice(0x1163, 1, 0);
if (Device3DB==0xFFFF) return (0);
Is3DB=1;
return 1;
}

and then when they initialize, they specify they only support the Verite card:

#ifdef HOTCGL
#ifdef CGLFLOAT
ErrorCode=cglLoad("", CGL_BOARD_VERITE_REV01, CGL_CDL_FLOAT);
if (ErrorCode != CGL_SUCCESS) return(fnBad);
#else
ErrorCode=cglLoad("", CGL_BOARD_VERITE_REV01, CGL_CDL_FIXED);
if (ErrorCode != CGL_SUCCESS) return(fnBad);
#endif
#endif

Where the board IDs are:

//-- Board IDs for HotCGL
#define CGL_BOARD_AUTO 0x0000
#define CGL_BOARD_GIGI_REV01 0x0001 <- GiGi
#define CGL_BOARD_PERMEDIA_REV01 0x0002
#define CGL_BOARD_GLINTTX_REV01 0x0003
#define CGL_BOARD_PERDELTA_REV01 0x0004
#define CGL_BOARD_VERITE_REV01 0x0010
#define CGL_BOARD_CIRRUS_REV01 0x0101
#define CGL_BOARD_LAGUNA5464_REV01 0x0102
#define CGL_BOARD_MULTI_AUTO 0xFFFF

Something interesting here is it looks like there were 7 chips supported in total for this version of the SDK, and it looks like we are missing CGL drivers for:
CGL_BOARD_PERMEDIA_REV01: Permedia (no Delta)
CGL_BOARD_GLINTTX_REV01: GLINT TX (maybe the early PCI prototype board for 3DB VLB game developers)
CGL_BOARD_CIRRUS_REV01: a mystery Cirrus Logic that isn't the 5464

So I think I can patch the demo to ignore the PCI VID/DID check and support any CGL driver (with varying results, of course). Right now my problem is since I don't have full source, I need to patch the binary, and it is packed with PMWLITE - I'm not sure how to unpack it.

Reply 181 of 239, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it modified PKLITE header or header of some other type of compression, like if you change in hex-editor the "PMWLITE " to "PKLITE" it might do trick , or to other header. I once found PCX files in game that have just modified header , that prevent them to be opened =)

Edit: P.S. just quick goolgling tells it actually real PMWLITE compression. Hmm
Edit2:
probably its answer
https://web.archive.org/web/19980612221855if_ … pack/pmw121.zip
https://web.archive.org/web/19981201190803/ht … ompressors.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 182 of 239, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
furan wrote on 2021-04-04, 18:13:
Something interesting here is it looks like there were 7 chips supported in total for this version of the SDK, and it looks like […]
Show full quote

Something interesting here is it looks like there were 7 chips supported in total for this version of the SDK, and it looks like we are missing CGL drivers for:
CGL_BOARD_GLINTTX_REV01: GLINT TX (maybe the early PCI prototype board for 3DB VLB game developers)

That rings a bell. Perhaps the Cirrus is the Cirrus CL-GD5470 (CL-GD547x) Mondello (unreleased): Re: 3D Accelerated Games List (non-3Dfx proprietary APIs)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 183 of 239, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2021-04-08, 04:32:
Something interesting here is it looks like there were 7 chips supported in total for this version of the SDK, and it looks like […]
Show full quote

That rings a bell. Perhaps the Cirrus is the Cirrus CL-GD5470 (CL-GD547x) Mondello (unreleased): Re: 3D Accelerated Games List (non-3Dfx proprietary APIs)

Hmm maybe. The Laguna comes later in the flag order (and list) though. Maybe an earlier card than Laguna that had 3D and wasn’t as “good?”

Reply 184 of 239, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
furan wrote on 2021-04-08, 07:47:
Stiletto wrote on 2021-04-08, 04:32:
Show full quote

Hmm maybe. The Laguna comes later in the flag order (and list) though. Maybe an earlier card than Laguna that had 3D and wasn’t as “good?”

If I am reading this right, Mondello release was expected *before* Laguna: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_Logic

[EDIT]: See Putas's history: https://vintage3d.org/cirrus.php

Stiletto

Reply 186 of 239, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2021-04-08, 19:24:

what is this Very Video thread doing in a General Old Junk 😀

It was created back in 2012 before we had a video subforum. Moving the thread now.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 188 of 239, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
furan wrote on 2021-04-17, 05:21:

Does anyone have the video BIOS for the Creative Labs 3D Blaster Cirrus Logic Laguna CL-GD5464 PCI (CT6320 or CT6381)? I need that video BIOS specifically.

Gona should.

Stiletto

Reply 189 of 239, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First, LazyGameReviews (Clint Basinger) is working on a 3D Blaster VLB video. Any chance anyone can loan him the game discs?

Second, I just found another game that supports CGL by accident - Star Fighter 3000. Or at least, the demo. The demo teases that support is coming in the full version, but the support is in the demo, just a bit buggy. It cannot render fog (so that area goes stale with stale rendering), and it cannot render game text. I am wondering if one of you can try with the retail version.

You will need to set the HOTCGL environment variable to a dir with your CGL driver, and then run the game with /3dblaster. Once it is running, hit space to go into the game, then space again to dismiss the start screens of the game. Then hit F5 and F7 repeatedly to turn the detail all the way down. F9 is supposed to change the resolution between 640x480 (which it starts at) and 320x200, but on my machine this locks up.

I am testing on a Permedia NT, so this might actually only be buggy with this prototype driver. I am in Colorado, and don't have my other 3DB hardware here.

Screen shots:
iksifdS.png
kCn0uiR.jpg

The demo can be downloaded here:https://archive.org/details/sfdemo_ab

Note that if it can't find the CGL driver, it will give an error. Also if you do not run with /3dblaster, it renders with text correctly/etc. And lastly, if it can find the CGL driver, but no matching card, you get an error.

On my machine, the $MONO file is created by the Permedia NT prototype driver, as per usual (I guess this is supposed to go to a mono display device, it is outputting a debug string of what IRQ the card is using). So I think it's safe to say that CGL gets engaged and is being used.

Reply 190 of 239, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's awesome news with finding a new game!

I don't have my 486 setup atm, Gona, maybe you can test both the demo and fullversion?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 192 of 239, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2021-04-19, 06:20:
furan wrote on 2021-04-17, 05:21:

Does anyone have the video BIOS for the Creative Labs 3D Blaster Cirrus Logic Laguna CL-GD5464 PCI (CT6320 or CT6381)? I need that video BIOS specifically.

Gona should.

Sure, here it is.
(Actually CT6320 was the CL-GD5462 PCI one but because the same PCB this number also readable on PCB's of the CL-GD5464 but the sticker is "CT6381".)

Attachments

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 193 of 239, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
furan wrote on 2021-04-22, 05:16:
First, LazyGameReviews (Clint Basinger) is working on a 3D Blaster VLB video. Any chance anyone can loan him the game discs? […]
Show full quote

First, LazyGameReviews (Clint Basinger) is working on a 3D Blaster VLB video. Any chance anyone can loan him the game discs?

Second, I just found another game that supports CGL by accident - Star Fighter 3000. Or at least, the demo. The demo teases that support is coming in the full version, but the support is in the demo, just a bit buggy. It cannot render fog (so that area goes stale with stale rendering), and it cannot render game text. I am wondering if one of you can try with the retail version.

You will need to set the HOTCGL environment variable to a dir with your CGL driver, and then run the game with /3dblaster. Once it is running, hit space to go into the game, then space again to dismiss the start screens of the game. Then hit F5 and F7 repeatedly to turn the detail all the way down. F9 is supposed to change the resolution between 640x480 (which it starts at) and 320x200, but on my machine this locks up.

I am testing on a Permedia NT, so this might actually only be buggy with this prototype driver. I am in Colorado, and don't have my other 3DB hardware here.

Screen shots:
iksifdS.png
kCn0uiR.jpg

The demo can be downloaded here:https://archive.org/details/sfdemo_ab

Note that if it can't find the CGL driver, it will give an error. Also if you do not run with /3dblaster, it renders with text correctly/etc. And lastly, if it can find the CGL driver, but no matching card, you get an error.

On my machine, the $MONO file is created by the Permedia NT prototype driver, as per usual (I guess this is supposed to go to a mono display device, it is outputting a debug string of what IRQ the card is using). So I think it's safe to say that CGL gets engaged and is being used.

OK, I have tested with 3D Blaster VLB with HOTCGL environment (all the four CGL driver for 3D Blaster VLB in that directory).
I cannot run the demo at all (without /3dblaster switch too), although I have copied the directories where the install.txt wanted and put audio CD too but writes:
"Cheesus, LocateStarPaths() couldn't locate 'em after all."

I have downloaded a not demo version too.
A bit better but writes:
Error #699 loading CGL modules.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 194 of 239, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote on 2021-04-28, 18:45:
OK, I have tested with 3D Blaster VLB with HOTCGL environment (all the four CGL driver for 3D Blaster VLB in that directory). I […]
Show full quote

OK, I have tested with 3D Blaster VLB with HOTCGL environment (all the four CGL driver for 3D Blaster VLB in that directory).
I cannot run the demo at all (without /3dblaster switch too), although I have copied the directories where the install.txt wanted and put audio CD too but writes:
"Cheesus, LocateStarPaths() couldn't locate 'em after all."

I have downloaded a not demo version too.
A bit better but writes:

I would work on getting the demo working before worrying about 3db. It's pretty lame, because it hardcodes the paths and requires 2 folders be decompressed to the root of your C: - if you put them anywhere else it won't work.

699 is CGL_ERR_CDL_FAILURE, usually when it can't find a driver that matches the "type" -- in this case it's type "IR" v 1.7. I'm not sure why it would fail with all 4 drivers, but maybe try just the one? I used the Permedia driver. The CGL SDK does allow asking for a specific device by identifier, so there might be code for that in this game - I need to look.

Reply 195 of 239, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote on 2021-04-28, 18:45:

Something I have missed yesterday but today the not demo version has started, but all texts are missing, and all textures too.

SF3000_VLB_1.png
Filename
SF3000_VLB_1.png
File size
581.26 KiB
Views
File comment
3D Blaster VLB - menu
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
SF3000_VLB_2.png
Filename
SF3000_VLB_2.png
File size
379.73 KiB
Views
File comment
3D Blaster VLB - ingame
File license

3D Blaster PCI just a bit better:

SF3000_PCI.png
Filename
SF3000_PCI.png
File size
381.03 KiB
Views
File comment
3D Blaster PCI - ingame
File license

Permedia with Delta crash and freezes at the very beginning:

SF3000_PD_2.png
Filename
SF3000_PD_2.png
File size
646.31 KiB
Views
File comment
Permedia with Delta
File license

Reply 196 of 239, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah there was no text in the demo. I think they never finished it. Edit: by it, I mean text rendering with CGL.

Regarding the artifacts from the Permedia + Delta, I got something like that when I had “Assign PCI IRQ to video card” disabled in the BIOS.

Reply 198 of 239, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
furan wrote on 2021-04-29, 19:46:

Yeah there was no text in the demo. I think they never finished it. Edit: by it, I mean text rendering with CGL.

Regarding the artifacts from the Permedia + Delta, I got something like that when I had “Assign PCI IRQ to video card” disabled in the BIOS.

I have found the path problem with the demo version. It seems my not-demo version has renamed the C:\KRISALIS.CD\KRISALIS.CD\SF3000V1.04 file to SF3000V1.08 (the demo is V1.04 the final is V1.08). I have copied again the file so now I have SF3000V1.04 and SF3000V1.08 too, and demo can start.

The first test motherboard cannot assign IRQ to video card, so I have switched one can assign and now I can start both the demo and v1.08 on Permedia with Delta but full the same as 3D Blaster VLB: no textures at all. Which menu has you started? How get you exactly textures? (I press space three times and the game starts.)

Reply 199 of 239, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote on 2021-04-30, 16:31:

Which menu has you started? How get you exactly textures? (I press space three times and the game starts.)

Glad you got it running - I looked around the menu without running it using /3dblaster, and tried some of those things while I was running it with /3dblaster. Everything was so blocky, that I'm honestly not sure if I ever got textures.