VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking of upgrading my single slot graphics card as I am getting more into compact builds.

I have a GTX 645. It supports XP to 10, doesn't need any external power, has DVI-D and HDMI so I can connect it to both old and new displays, and is single slot in design whilst also being cool-ish and quiet. It was also only £20. In some ways it's the perfect all-rounder for XP and Windows 7 "retro" PCs.

However It starts struggling (as in, not hitting a constant 60fps) in games from 2010 and onwards at 1280*1024. Even in Oblivion it struggles at max settings in particularly vegetables areas. On the other hand it can run GTA5.

Can anyone think of an upgrade that is single slot in design, doesn't need an external power connector, supports XP and is more powerful than a 645?

All I can think of is something like an R7 250x (no idea what 7-series and card that is equivalent to) but can't find a single slot one. Then there is NV 750 as an option too...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

KFA2 GeForce GTX 750 TI RAZOR 2GB Good luck finding one though! 😉
There are also single slot (and even low profile) GTX 750 Ti cards that use a 2 slot cooler but could probably be modded with some aftermarket cooler to fit in a single slot.

Reply 2 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about the Quadro K2200? Same specs as the 750Ti but just a bit slower stock RAM clocks.

There are modified XP drivers available for it.

It is also single slot.

And to top it off, it is readily available and pretty cheap.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 7, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely worth looking into!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 5 of 7, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-08-25, 13:32:

KFA2 GeForce GTX 750 TI RAZOR 2GB Good luck finding one though! 😉
There are also single slot (and even low profile) GTX 750 Ti cards that use a 2 slot cooler but could probably be modded with some aftermarket cooler to fit in a single slot.

ELSA Geforce 750ti is another single slot option.

s-l1600.jpg

Recently there were quite a few of them offered on Ebay Germany, which is where I got mine from.
ELSA is a Japanese firm I think, so depending on how important it is for you, they can easily be found on Yahoo! Japan Auction site, and ordered through a proxy like Buyee.

Reply 6 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-08-26, 17:43:

ELSA is a Japanese firm I think, so depending on how important it is for you, they can easily be found on Yahoo! Japan Auction site, and ordered through a proxy like Buyee.

They're a Taiwanese company using the Logo of the defunct German ELSA brand. They make average quality cards and I believe they only aim for the Asian market so seeing those cards in ebay Germany is surprising. 🤔

Reply 7 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-25, 14:33:
What about the Quadro K2200? Same specs as the 750Ti but just a bit slower stock RAM clocks. […]
Show full quote

What about the Quadro K2200? Same specs as the 750Ti but just a bit slower stock RAM clocks.

There are modified XP drivers available for it.

It is also single slot.

And to top it off, it is readily available and pretty cheap.

The K2200 seems like the sweet spot for Price/Performance/Power Consumption right now if the drivers are any good.

I’m always a little anxious about the life expectancy of the high wattage video cards from the 2008 period. I’ve seen too many dead or unstable cards. There’s a clear risk, even more so with the single slot coolers. I’m happier looking at the mid range card from a newer family. The 70 watt K2200 seems more attractive than the Radeon 4870 or Geforce 9800 that pull almost twice the power.

Is the stock cooler on the K2200 loud? Is its single slot blower aging well compared to the Double slot 750ti coolers with large fans?

Are these the modifed XP drivers? Can anyone report on the stability/ compatibility?

https://www.nv-drivers.eu/download-QuadroK220 … wsXP-32bit.html