VOGONS

First post, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Voodoo 1 on the way and was thinking I should put it in my Pentium II machine (266mhz, Riva 128 AGP) but I've also got a Pentium MMX (166MHz, S3 Virge DX).

Does the Pentium MMX saturate the Voodoo for most early Glide games or can I push it a little further by using the Pentium II? The P2 is W98 and the P166 is Win95.

fwiw I'm ditching the Voodoo 3 in my P3 866 build for a new-old-stock Geforce 2 Pro, so this Voodoo 1 will only be for a handful of Glide games like NFS2 and Tomb Raider 1. I've toyed with the Voodoo 3 a lot over the past year and want to run games at a little higher res as well as 32 bit color in some cases. It's a great card but the CPU can handle something better.

Cheers 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo1 Cards have problems with D3D Games up around 400Mhz. Glide should be fine in most cases.
You can install a Voodoo3-AGP with a Voodoo1 for a P2-300/333/350/366 or Celeron.
So you can make benefit of the fast voodoo3 and you can play the old dosglidegames without issues.
For a P3 and above an Pixelshader-AGP Card combined with a Voodoo2-SLI is a better choice.
And yes a P2/celeron can give some benefit for a Voodoo1 compared to a P1-mmx.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 2 of 3, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd go with the PII 266mhz, you can push a few frames extra in certain games. Using my Voodoo graphics in a PII-300 build

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes